• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids IV: Increased frequency with low dosage VS Low frequency with high dosage

casualdruguser

Greenlighter
If we were to ignore the issue of damage to veins caused by repeated injections (please can we just ignore this for the hypothetical) then which would be preferable? More frequent injections with a lower dose, or less frequent injections of a higher dose?

Would the addiction take a stronger hold with the more frequent injections at a lower dose? Or the other way around? Or would there be no difference?

Which of the 2 options do you think you are better off with? Again, please can we not take into account the obvious issue of vein damage from repeated injections.

It depends on the drug beings used, the amounts, and whether the user is naive or tolerant to said drug. Smaller doses more frequently (for opioids at least) is safer to gauge dosages initially then can combine total amount taken in set amount of time (i.e. Hydromorphone 2mg each dose every hour for three hours) and translate into one larger dose next time (Hydromorphone 6mg every 3+ hours as needed/desired). It depends heavily on which drug though as different drugs have different durations/indications for dosing. In the example of Hydromorphone, the "rush" is usually not apparent with subsequent doses until full amount of initial dose has worn off before redosing. It also has a shorter duration than other opioids so that 2-3 hr estimation would be different with a different drug possibly.

Physical dependence can occur with either option. Addiction will depend on your individual risk factors/how much and how frequently you are using overall.

In my experience with heroin it's much more preferable to do say 3 or 4 .25g shots than 6 or 8 .125g shots, it makes a big difference in terms of how well your held, how stable you feel, but in the end i know either one would pretty much ensure addiction regardless of the drug being used. Daily IV drug use = addiction IMO.

Now I'm assuming were talking about heroin, or opiates but if the OP is talking about Methamphetamine than I think its actually a lot better to do more frequent but small dosage shots, you just can't do 'em too frequently though. IME I could keep my shots to under a point with meth for almost a year by doing smaller shots a couple times a day, rather than packing half a gram into my rig. I did eventually go out of my mind too, but I lasted longer.