• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Is prison really that bad?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Sounds like a stupid question but I've been getting conflicting info from some. A few years ago I started stealing things from my parents to buy drugs and they called the police superintendent to give me a 'scared straight' talk. Basically it did scare me but not that much. They said in prison people get physically and sexually assaulted and hinted that since I wasn't a large guy (only 5ft 5in), I'd be a target as well.

But many friends I talk to who have been involved with the justice system (not in prison but court issues and know friends who have gone there) say prison isn't that bad once you keep your head down and don't give anyone else shit. Apparently though, the exception is with sex offenders who are targeted. Child molesters are the worst of the worst and are treated badly even by sex offenders.

One of my mates who has been to prison said the worst thing wasn't prison but coming out with a record and a difficulty in sorting out your life. Do you agree?

Sounds like a stupid question but I've been getting conflicting info from some. A few years ago I started stealing things from my parents to buy drugs and they called the police superintendent to give me a 'scared straight' talk. Basically it did scare me but not that much. They said in prison people get physically and sexually assaulted and hinted that since I wasn't a large guy (only 5ft 5in), I'd be a target as well.

But many friends I talk to who have been involved with the justice system (not in prison but court issues and know friends who have gone there) say prison isn't that bad once you keep your head down and don't give anyone else shit. Apparently though, the exception is with sex offenders who are targeted. Child molesters are the worst of the worst and are treated badly even by sex offenders.

One of my mates who has been to prison said the worst thing wasn't prison but coming out with a record and a difficulty in sorting out your life. Do you agree?
I found being in gen pop unbearable. Being in the medical unit wasn’t bad until workers start forcing drugs on you. I was unemployed before and unemployed since (10+ years). It wasn’t horrible but it can get to you.

Here is what most people do not think about. They think I can stay locked up as long as I have food. But what people don't think of when you go to jail or prison, EVERYTHING is taken away from you and you are handed a toohbrush and jump suit. So your family, pets, things you reach for around your house, trees, grass, nature, alcohol (xcept for that crappy jail house hooch) friends, books, TV, coffee you like, soda, food you like, cloths you wear (until you can get a package in) and anything you can think of that is second nature in your life are all taken away. That psychological part is the torture and I think everyone should do 2 weeks so they don't take their life for granted and can see for themselves. I am not talking about the drunk tank or jail cell for a night or two. I am talking about a true bid of a year or over.

It is true if you respect others you will receive respect. The people that got beat up or harrassed were disrepectful people that did something to warrent some type of revenge. The guy that sneaks into a cell and steal people's commissary or someone that cuts in the chow line in an arrogant way is an example of one who gets that revenge. Respect and receive respect.

None of it is easy. Sure the days can go by but it takes a strong spirit to do the time.

Last edited:
Being locked up surely isn't fun. But i too think the worst thing is the dirty record.

You have to own it and realize you're stuck. Live the life the best you can. Don't force friends - watch how people interact and sit the first couple days out. You don't know who's in for a drug crime or a violent one, and don't expect to be told the truth.

I was only in for a couple days but was put in a pretty intense block, inmates told me. No one bothered me except a couple guys who i think were gauging how i opperate and sat across from me asking me about myself etc. They didn't stay long because i wasn't really there to make friends.

That said.. If i did stay longer you bet id find some acquaintances. But they'd be people i wanted to be acquainted with, based on observation. Not people who come up to size me up. Unless they turn out to be cool, lol.

Don't be charmed so easily.

Don't be charmed so easily.
This is extremely good advice.
People can be extremely charming, but they can also have malicious intentions. You'll never know.
But this advice isn't just for prison, it's for real life too.

one time I was in jail my roommate ( cellie) like being there vs his home life, I'm the opposite I was like fuck that it rather be home anywhere than here, in a 6 by 8 with no window lock down time after beans and hot dogs for supper fuck that

It’s a real good lesson in learning that life goes on without you....

And the psychological mind-fuck will get to you eventually, if only for 5 minutes.
yep, I only did 6 months out of 1 year good time ( longest stretch) and it felt weird getting out, I couldn't imagine getting out over a year, and 6 months isn't any thing compared to what other ppl get in there

If they realize they can push you around you then become the prison bitch and people will steal food from you rape you pimp you out. So you always have to stick up for yourself even if your little and have no chance of winning a fight if you find yourself in one just throw down. Make friends with people / alliances to get through. Each prison is different and has changed over time but america is dominated by racial politics. Don't get into drug debts in prison else you will become a prostitute if you can't pay them. Theres so many fucking drugs in prison and they are fucking expensive.

Theres alot of psychos and violent people in some blocks pray you never get put in those blocks. But most people in prison are in for drugs avoid getting caught up in gangs maybe join a religion to get more free time praying.

Food is quite bad, there will come a day if u look at somebody the wrong way by accident you will be in a fight. Here most prisoners are massive islanders who enjoy butt fucking little white guys while they hit meth in their cells.

Jail/prison is pretty fucking bad, but surprisingly or not life outside can get even worse, which is why some people feel "safe" in prison.

Personally I liked some aspects of it. The routine, the structure, the discipline..... but yeah once you're in all you want to do is get out. It sucks, but can end up teaching you something.... which I think is the point.

It's extremely stressful to the average person, though. Especially the first time.

How to be a better criminal iirc

Yeah, that, too.

I was referring to how it taught me a little about myself. How I work and thrive better in a structured, disciplined environment. Without that I usually self destruct. I would have done well in the military if I was younger.

My friend went to local and state prison for beating up some asshole lol. Anyway, he was a bigger guy and said he didnt have an issue. But he said if you called someone the wrong name or looked at them weird you could get jumped. He said you basically have to watch your back, and stay alert at all times. Not to get involved with the druggies there, as they could try to use you as a mule for themselves.

He got out, and very lucky. His record doesn't effect his life. Hes a supervisor at a cell phone tower place as well as a place that cleans industrial fans and makes well over $30 an hour. So jail hasn't hurt his life. He did learn a lot and definitely took his like for granted though.

No like everything else is what you make out of it, it's no philosophy other than knowing basic fightin skills and being good at talkin and having some solid outside connections because you gonna need sauce ( money ) and that's it. That's how I see it, I don't dive deep in such things because there's no need to.

when ppl stay in jail/ prison to long they get " institutionalize" my friends have when the get out they will start a fight over dumb shit and I'm like chill bro

Considering I watch prison docs sometimes to feel better about my life, yes I would consider it to be that bad.
Yeah but AMERIKAN PRISON DOCS!!
In the NL its the best Way to make connections and Dope no problem, rest of europe aint that bad, just EASTERN europe, Poland, etc do avoid at all cost. Asia, Russia and South America too.

when ppl stay in jail/ prison to long they get " institutionalize" my friends have when the get out they will start a fight over dumb shit and I'm like chill bro
Now i would love to know which one they booked in! UK is said to be pretty rough. As a tendency juvenile prisons are bad. Lotsa kids who play Mafia wannabee. Lowest IQ population sifted out.