Is my codeine use a problem?

Crepsirezzell

Bluelighter
Hi i Have been using codeine 90 - 240 mg a day two weeks on, two weeks off (sometimes longer breaks) for one year and a half.

I don't feel that is has caused a great deal of problems to my life, but as I continue to use it seems to be becoming a bigger part of my life and the thought of living without my DOC makes me feel miserable.

I also find myself fantasizing over what stronger opiates may feel like.

Is this sort of usage anything I should be concerned about or is codeine just a weak drug that wont really cause me problems if I just stick to only using codeine and using it on and off?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Codeine is weak compared to dilaudid, oxy, fent, etc; the most I ever got from drinking a bottle of codeine syrup 1/2 of the way down was a long restful sleep. Some say that drowsiness is euphoria but you don't know the taste of true euphoria until you try some felony class drugs(excluding codeine, Demerol, Darvocet and the likes of weak opiates). If you are taking the codeine with the apap then you should be worried because you could be destroying your liver, but the general use in itself is not a big deal and is legal OTC meds in quite a few countries. I have a script for Tylenol 3's that I don't even refill because its not strong to me, and really serves no purpose unless I would have a horrible cough. If you like the feeling of codeine so much you should try Demerol it is very strong med that will make you so drowsy you wont be able to stay awake, lol.

Answer: I wouldn't be worried unless like I said your using codeine with apap, and I'm not a DOC but that miserable feeling sounds like a psychological dependence that can be cured with a girlfriend or a puppy to fill that small void codeine takes up. Have you looked into some 12 step programs or a rehab? They can be real useful for getting you out and meeting positive people with same worries as you have. Good luck brother.

PEACE
griny.png

Last edited:
<censored by user (profile compromised)>

Last edited:
I always wondered why people talk about codeine in these kind of forums, in the UK its like buying aspirin or a candy bar.

240 mg of codeine is what you'd be taking daily if you were on prescription only medication for "moderate to severe" pain here (30mg codeine/500mg APAP formulation) - and there are plenty of people who literally spend years on that dose without ill effect.

Of course you'll probably develop a tolerance and find it useless for pain relief after a while (I don't find it a particularly good pain reliever at that dose anyway), but find yourself taking it anyway to feel "normal". If you're actually craving it mentally that's probably of more concern than any physical tolerance you've developed - and therein lies the temptation to increase your dose.

High doses of codeine aren't magically less of a problem than low doses of other opiates. If you're finding your day being planned around using codeine and can't imagine never taking it again then your psychological craving for it and its impact on your life is no less damaging than if it was one of the "stronger" opiates. You don't need to be drinking Everclear to be abusing alcohol and you don't need to be shooting heroin to be abusing opiates.

I always wondered why people talk about codeine in these kind of forums, in the UK its like buying aspirin or a candy bar.

The OP is in the UK.