is it addiction or do i just like tt.

halfdead

Greenlighter
I startd smoking crack about 3 years ago. It is the best high i ever had. I still maintain my house hold and work every day. im not on the streets i dont steal, lie or kill for it. So am i a drug addict or ro i just like ehat i do?

thats not enough information..how often do you use it? are you psychologically dependent on it(meaning if you DIDNT have if around would it bother you or would you be totally fine without it too?) Are any other elements of your life effected by your use?

ICD-10 Diagnostic guidelines

A definite diagnosis of dependence should usually be made only if three or more of the following have been present together at some time during the previous year:

A strong desire or sense of compulsion to take the substance;

Difficulties in controlling substance-taking behaviour in terms of its onset, termination, or levels of use;

A physiological withdrawal state when substance use has ceased or have been reduced, as evidenced by: the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance; or use of the same (or closely related) substance with the intention of relieving or avoiding withdrawal symptoms;

Evidence of tolerance, such that increased doses of the psychoactive substance are required in order to achieve effects originally produced by lower doses (clear examples of this are found in alcohol- and opiate-dependent individuals who may take daily doses sufficient to incapacitate or kill nontolerant users);

Progressive neglect of alternative pleasures or interests because of psychoactive substance use, increased amount of time necessary to obtain or take the substance or to recover from its effects;

Persisting with substance use despite clear evidence of overtly harmful consequences, such as harm to the liver through excessive drinking, depressive mood states consequent to periods of heavy substance use, or drug-related impairment of cognitive functioning; efforts should be made to determine that the user was actually, or could be expected to be, aware of the nature and extent of the harm.

I'm going to go ahead and say this has been more then a phase, 3 years of crack use may be the sound of addiction.

Personally I would say that if you have been using Crack on a regular basis for 3 years then it is probably more than a case of just liking it.

ICD-10 Diagnostic guidelines

A definite diagnosis of dependence should usually be made only if three or more of the following have been present together at some time during the previous year:

A strong desire or sense of compulsion to take the substance;

Difficulties in controlling substance-taking behaviour in terms of its onset, termination, or levels of use;

A physiological withdrawal state when substance use has ceased or have been reduced, as evidenced by: the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance; or use of the same (or closely related) substance with the intention of relieving or avoiding withdrawal symptoms;

Evidence of tolerance, such that increased doses of the psychoactive substance are required in order to achieve effects originally produced by lower doses (clear examples of this are found in alcohol- and opiate-dependent individuals who may take daily doses sufficient to incapacitate or kill nontolerant users);

Progressive neglect of alternative pleasures or interests because of psychoactive substance use, increased amount of time necessary to obtain or take the substance or to recover from its effects;

Persisting with substance use despite clear evidence of overtly harmful consequences, such as harm to the liver through excessive drinking, depressive mood states consequent to periods of heavy substance use, or drug-related impairment of cognitive functioning; efforts should be made to determine that the user was actually, or could be expected to be, aware of the nature and extent of the harm.

Thanks for that it is very useful, I haven't actually seen that information before, it may be semantics but is dependence the same as addiction, in the system from which you have taken this information from ?

The whole term 'addiction' is a complicated one and one that's been twisted in recent times. The original definition was more to do with a committment to something and not seen in a negative light as it is these days. If you're use is pushing other enjoyments from your life and is doing more harm than you would like or are comfortable with I would be more inclined to say that you have an issue with self control.

Crack is a lovely high, there is no way a human could not really enjoy having their dopamine system put into overdrive, it's a primitive reaction. There's no shame in enjoying it. However, what are the consequences of your use? Do you still pay the bills, manage to go out socially or just enjoy yourself with simple pleasures? If not then it's probably time to rethink your approach to using it. If it's merely an adjunct to your life then I wouldn't describe it as a problem. It's a potential one for sure but then so are many many pursuits that people undertake.

Last edited: