• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is anal bleeding normal if you've been taking opiates orally for nearly a decade?

I take ms contin daily, but this year I've noticed that sometimes I randomly bleed (severely) if I try to go #2. Even if I don't pass a stool, just barely straining causes me to get an ass-bleed (for lack of a better term, I guess). I suppose it could be my diet. I'm sure eating a bunch of bread and cheese on top of taking morphine isn't helping with the constipation at all, but I like what I like and I'd rather not change my diet or way of life (and I wouldn't be surprised if cheese really does effect your opiate receptors at least slightly because its one of the most addictive foods on earth). I don't have anal sex. Its just not my cup of tea so I know that can't be a factor, but is anal bleeding a common occurrence for opiate addicts (I rarely ever plug anything)?
What I can say is, that if you take opiates you have normally problems to make poopoo properly. So you have to press harder to get the poo out and this can result in broken capillaries. You should try to eat oily. The best is to take daily Black Seed Oil, this is very good for your health, its beneficial for your guts, cures many diseases (including hemorrhoids) and also acts as a mild opiate agonist so you can take reduce your dosage. I would suggest to minimum buy a 16 OZ bottle somewhere in the internet. Also look that it is cold pressed and unfiltered.

Kgeisel98 I'm probably gonna start eating oatmeal more now that you mentioned it. My favorite is Apple Cinnamon or Cinnamon & Spice. I have a vicious sweet tooth as well (I think opiates cause people to crave sweets to some degree) Do you think I should reduce my bread & cheese intake? I hear cheese is notorious for causing constipation as well, but being a vegetarian, I eat a lot of cheese in place of not eating meat. Why does everything I love (aside from coffee) have to constipate me so badly? :(

I'd be loathe to cut cheese entirely out of my diet. See how the oatmeal works before cutting foods from your diet. Limiting your cheese consumption may help if oatmeal isn't enough. Having high fibre in your diet helps with regularity. I had a friend who swore by Metamucil. I'd probably try Metamucil if the oatmeal wasn't enough before cutting cheese out of my diet. I've never heard that bread was a constipator though! (Again with fibre eat 12 Grain bread rather than white or brown. I find greasy meat helps like bacon or sausage but you're a vegetarian so that's out.

I have experience some bleeding from plugging certain substances. To truly find out what is going on, I would think that endoscopy would be required. So long as there are not any other terrible symptoms accompanying the bleeding and it resolves on its own, you should be fine. As others have said, it could of course be something much more serious, but it will ultimately be your choice whether your pursue medical attention or not.

Kgeisel98 I'm probably gonna start eating oatmeal more now that you mentioned it. My favorite is Apple Cinnamon or Cinnamon & Spice. I have a vicious sweet tooth as well (I think opiates cause people to crave sweets to some degree) Do you think I should reduce my bread & cheese intake? I hear cheese is notorious for causing constipation as well, but being a vegetarian, I eat a lot of cheese in place of not eating meat. Why does everything I love (aside from coffee) have to constipate me so badly? :(

Have you talked to a doctor or gastroenterologist about your symptoms? Bloody stools can be related to serious conditions, and there is no reason not to get checked out.

It would also be worthwhile for you to see a nutritionalist about the issue as well.

EDIT: sorry I see you've made plans to see your doctor. See what they say and get a referral to a GI and nutritionalist if it's at all a concern. And please let us know how you're doing.

With some conditions, adding more fiber can actually cause more problems. But IMO it's worth trying. Just make sure you drink plenty of water when you take more fiber.

I also found fiber cereals to work better than fiber powders/supplements. The best supplement I found was psyllium, but fiber cereal and plenty of H2O worked way better than any of those for me.

Kgeisel98, funny you mention greasy meats. My fiance goes right after every meal like clockwork and he swears its due to his meat-rich diet on top of drinking lots of water and beer (he has what I call a "Southern US/German fusion" diet, minus the sauerkraut). Says that due to morphine and lack of meat in my diet, I'll be backed up until that changes (I'll always be vegetarian even if I do quit opiates altogether). No way could I eat ribs or steak on a regular basis like him. I know based on experience that alcohol will make you sh*t though. I just don't care for booze enough to drink a 12pk everyday like he does. I drank liquor everyday for a month and decided to stop before I develop another addiction because I could literally feel it taking a toll on my body (pain meds never made me feel drained of my life-force like alcohol does, despite the bad rap opiates get). I don't think its worth the hangover even if it does work wonders on my digestive tract. I only drink once a week now, which is probably for the best in the long run. Haha. Toothpastedog, thanks for the info. I'm willing to try anything that might help. :)

Hi FunctionlJnkieGal I think more than it being meat itself it is the fats in the meats that keeps things moving. Is there a forum of grease/fat that isn't animal fat?

i can't get past your ass bleeding but "I like what I like".

You're getting defensive with your own body when YOU are the one who puts it in pain. Every day it struggles to compensate for your damage.

Eat more greens. Cut back the bread and protein. Drink more water. Use a stool softener.

Life is long. You're not going to make it very far if you hate your body.

I get wanting to be high. I really do. But you need to support that which supports your head.

When I was in detox, I had impacted BMs that I had to put on a glove and pull it all out myself or I couldn't sit. I did this three days in a row. My hand was covered in bright red blood. It took only a few days for it to go away. I stay regular with Vitamin C and warm prune juice.

Last edited:
What's up with the negativity? She's not kicking and screaming, saying she should be the one lucky soul out there that can indulge in regular opioid use and not deal with constipation. She's said nothing deserving of such vitriol, especially considering your proclivities evident from posts you've made such as this one above, detailing an experience in turd mining.

You're absolutely right.

I apologize for coming across very harsh. The things that I said to the poster are things that I have had to learn the hard way. I treated my body with absolute disregard and 3 years ago I was diagnosed with antibodies to a potentially deadly autoimmune disease. It's not that I didn't have the signs. I was obese and tired and did not take care of myself.

I never respected my body. I thought that it was there to hold me while I live my life. But these cumulative injuries that I was hoisting upon it were taking their toll. I read something online about how hard our bodies struggle to keep equilibrium. I read about how it's prioritises repairing the damage everyday before growth can occur. I ended up having to see my body as a separate entity that housed my mind and that only wanted the best for me. And I was abusing it.

I am much kinder to other people than I am to myself.

Of course this came at middle age. I may have permanently altered the course of my health. In fact I absolutely did. I wanted the poster to understand that he has a responsibility to take care of his body if he wants to continue his lifestyle.

Constipation is a terrible part of opiate use. I did all of my butt burgling while in detox and it was painful and humiliating. Fortunately my body is still on my side and I healed quickly. But that wasn't luck that was because I have been trying to take care of my body throughout this horrid process.