⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Interracial Movie Casting

Shale

Bluelighter
Interracial Movie Casting
Take-One by Shale
February 22, 2010

There was an amusing moment when I first saw the 2003 movie Gothika where Halle Berry gets intimate with Charles Dutton, her onscreen husband. My immediate reaction was "Wow, an interracial couple in a movie!" They are a bit rare you know. Then I realized something - Halle Berry is "black."

Halle Berry & Charles Dutton in Gothika
photo_19_hires.jpg

Well, she ain't really black - sorta light tan. In fact lighter tan than me - and I am officially white. (Without sunlight exposure that would be obvious) But we still subscribe to the "one-drop rule" a carryover from Apartheid America that says no matter how light your skin or even if your hair grows straight you are still considered black if you have any African descent.

Nevertheless, Halle Berry is the product of interracial parents, so technically (Like Barack Obama) she is as much white as she is black. Whereas Charles Dutton does not appear to be so - he is black.

Anyhow, let's look at some real interracial liaisons onscreen, namely the 2001 Monster's Ball with our semi-black Halle Berry and white good-ol-boy Billy Bob Thornton. The subject matter of this movie was so disturbing that racial mixing was just one factor that would not derail it at the box office.

Halle Berry & Billy Bob Thornton in Monster's Ball
original-126343-897.jpg

On a lighter note (for movie subject at least), Whitney Houston, who starred with Kevin Costner in one of the most memorable on-screen interracial couples in The Bodyguard in 1992 may have a bit more coffee in her cafe-au-lait complexion than does Halle Berry, but she is not what I would call black either.

Whitney Houston & Kevin Costner in The Bodyguard
whitney_houston_and_kevin_costner_image.jpg

They were a beautiful couple on screen and that was a financially successful movie both in the US and internationally. It has been noted that the movie did not mention or explain the interracial portrayal and it was probably due to Houston's mainstream appeal that gave it a pass. However, it has also been noted that some of the ads intentionally hid Houston's face. But in an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine in 1993, the singer commented that "people know who Whitney Houston is—I'm black. You can't hide that fact." Well, OK, if Whitney says she's black, I gotta go along with it but I know the difference between black coffee and cafe con Leche.

I guess it's more about the money than art when you make a movie. You have to please the movie going public; the masses who may be swayed by cultural prejudice.

In the 2005 movie Hitch with Will Smith, there was serious thought as to casting his love interest. It was felt that a black woman would have put off worldwide audiences who would lose interest in a "black movie" and casting a white woman would have put off viewers in the United States who still don't readily accept interracial lovers. Cuban descended Eva Mendes was the compromise as a black and Latina combination is not controversial.

Will Smith & Eva Mendes in Hitch
11327680_gal.jpg

And, it's not just the majority of white racists who are against black men and white women getting together on-screen. Ever notice that Denzel Washington doesn't do white women? He did do one, his first interracial love scene in He Got Game with Milla Jovovich. That got so much flak from black women who felt betrayed that he hasn't done one since. He did not kiss Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief in 2002, and his love scene with Radha Mitchell was cut from his 2004 film, Man on Fire (many believe at his insistence). Hey, gotta go with your fan base.

And so continues the big issue of race in Mainstream America. We can be friends, we can socialize and even have a beer at each others place, but no black and white kisses please. Or even tan and white kisses (unless tan is Hispanic).

Forget Race on VALENTINE'S DAY!

In the romantic comedy, Valentine's Day (Feb 12, 2010) there are several switches of love interests as per the formula of these movies. Two characters who seemed unlikely but was no secret that they were kindred spirits was TV Sportscaster Kelvin Moore (Jamie Fox) and a football player's publicist, Kara Monahan (Jessica Biel). They are thrown together thru their work situation and soon find a common interest.

While everyone is gushing about the love in the air during Valentine's Day, Kara has an annual anti-Valentine's party where the loveless or jilted bemoan the loss of romance. Kelvin agrees that Valentine's Day is a waste and shows up that evening at the party.

Well, you guessed it! While they don't show the bedroom scene, you know this is a couple about to get nasty with each other.

Kara and Kelvin Make Music Together

photo_33_hires.jpg

What about Avatar?

Well, I was kinda focused on known Earth races of the present, not Pandora in the future.

But we could probably get into Spock & Uhura on Star Trek, where you have a half-black human with a half-human Vulcan. But then you would have to include Kirk and all the green women (or any extra-terrestrial woman with compatible parts) in the universe.