Internet shit talking can lead to jail?

Proxies disguise your IP address.

Your IP address also can be changed automatically by your ISP if you change your MAC.

If your ISP can prove your computer was using an IP that was involved in the crime at the time, then you've got a case against you.

originally posted by s0nic

Originally posted by iLoveYouWithaKnife
If it came down to it, the ISP number coming from your computer. It's almost virtually impossible to disguise it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not true. All you have to do is hack another server, doctor their logs, send all the e-mail you want and it will only trace back to the server you hacked.

Not that I know anything about this or anything

well, what i meant when I said it was virtually impossible to disguise it was, if he doesn't even realize that it's possible to trace back to a computer, I highly, highly doubt that he is going to be able to hack into another server..... get what I mean?

Do a search online for harrassment.... I am telling you. Harrassment by communication is a big deal. (hars by comm= phone, email, in person.)

iLoveYouWithaKnife said:
highly doubt that he is going to be able to hack into another server..... get what I mean?
(hars by comm= phone, email, in person.)

You obviously have no idea how easy it is.

^ No, sorry. I don't sit around and hack into different servers. Especially to hide my ISP so I don't get in trouble for talking shit on the internet.

This is off the topic anyway though.

originally posted by EtaipoFetish
Can the internet be used against you in the court of law?

And the answer is yes, it can.

i would think in some situations it could. but i don't see how much power it would actually have in court as evidence alone. i mean just because it has been typed on your computer, doesn't mean you typed it. theres no concrete evidence that you were the one behind the keyboard, but on the other hand it is your computer and i assume most people would hold you responsible.

Things said on the internet can certainly be used in court. However, it's often hard to prove.

^ I hope the courts are taking into consideration the fact that the internet is still a very "untamed frontier". I fear that people in society take computer data for granted these days. Internet security is still a joke for the most part. Which is why most sensitive data resides on private networks.

It could be so easy to frame someone for a crime they didn't commit, such as identity theft, credit card fraud, hacking, etc. I hope there are at least a few laws in place that limit the use of computer data/logs as evidence in court.

Computer logs by themselves pose little evidentiary value. However, when corroborated with the testiomony of other people, as well as other evidence, they can be very damning.

I will be the first person to tell you that AIM WILL DEFINATELY get you in deep shit. I just got out of jail for shit i didn't even do but fuck it, life goes on and it sucks anyway. They came in my house with a search warrant for my computer and took it for half a year (the reason why I haven't been on in a long time). They got all my AIM conversations. The shit they were after me for didn't work but they got me for something else. Fucking pigs.