• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel Interesting Places v. Around The World

Mysterier

Administrator
Staff member
Khone Falls, the widest waterfall in the world.

1*uzDX9E9yaHBtzgmEv-w9hg.jpeg

V2oiR.jpg

Imagine stumbling upon the real-life "Rapunzel" Tower nestled in the picturesque English countryside. This is King Alfred's Tower, an impressive structure standing at 49 meters of sheer elegance. This architectural marvel came to life between 1762 and 1779 under the creative genius of Henry Flitcroft, who masterfully utilized over a million red bricks in its construction. It's more than just a tower; it's a historical beacon believed to commemorate the very spot where King Alfred the Great rallied his forces back in 878.

It also serves as a monument celebrating George III's rise to the throne in 1760, marking a pivotal moment in history alongside the conclusion of the Seven Years War. The tower's unique triangular shape is not just for show; inside, it harbors a hollow core, with a spiraling staircase of 205 steps leading you to the summit. Reaching the top is a rewarding experience, offering breathtaking views that stretch across the counties of Somerset, Wiltshire, and Dorset. A fusion of historical significance and architectural beauty, King Alfred's Tower is a testament to the rich tapestry of England's past.

oGb5Cyw.jpeg

Imagine stumbling upon the real-life "Rapunzel" Tower nestled in the picturesque English countryside. This is King Alfred's Tower, an impressive structure standing at 49 meters of sheer elegance. This architectural marvel came to life between 1762 and 1779 under the creative genius of Henry Flitcroft, who masterfully utilized over a million red bricks in its construction. It's more than just a tower; it's a historical beacon believed to commemorate the very spot where King Alfred the Great rallied his forces back in 878.

It also serves as a monument celebrating George III's rise to the throne in 1760, marking a pivotal moment in history alongside the conclusion of the Seven Years War. The tower's unique triangular shape is not just for show; inside, it harbors a hollow core, with a spiraling staircase of 205 steps leading you to the summit. Reaching the top is a rewarding experience, offering breathtaking views that stretch across the counties of Somerset, Wiltshire, and Dorset. A fusion of historical significance and architectural beauty, King Alfred's Tower is a testament to the rich tapestry of England's past.

oGb5Cyw.jpeg

This tower reminds me of the one the white wizard of Lord of the Rings (not Gandalf) lived in. Maybe it served as inspiration.

If I knew how to share images here... Or rather where to store them so I can share.
I lost most of my photographs I took during all my travels, buy I do have some recent ones of interesting places. Though I think linking to someone else's would also be okay?