• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Interactive neuroscience visualization - any ideas?

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
I'm thinking about a way to facilitate comprehension of interconnections & interactions in the CNS - transmitters, enzymes, ions, synapses, and so on (this concept can be extended infinitely of course). For this, the usual 2D technologies like graphics with links or wiki pages aren't flexible enough ... but we have so many IT developments recently, so there must be a solution. Does something in this direction already exist? Or if not, based on what should one start to build one?

Okay, it's complicated to explain what I'm imagining and probably not exactly easy to implement it. Think of a wikipedia in 3D as a starting point. Where you see all the references and connections between topics not just at the end of a page but together with the abstract etc..

I'm picturing a 3D representation of molecular and ionic exchanges between synapses if that's what you're getting at. Like being able to visualize the cleft with multiple vesicles releasing atoms and compounds along with linked data/research correlating to each aspect?

If so, I know MATLAB has been EXTREMELY successful when modeling/simulating the cardiovascular system in this way in recent studies, and I couldn't help to believe that modeling the CNS isn't TOO far behind (at least a practical model, for now). To my knowledge there aren't any open-source softwares allowing this kind of CNS modeling, but in my opinion MATLAB could prove useful. Although linking data and research to each aspect would likely come later. I do however love the idea of this completely and I really hope people have something like this in the works.

i remember one computational neuroscience course from Coursera which used MATLAB

the software macromodel has been used across the board to study compounds as they become metabolized by the body, and ultimately helps to R&D to target the site for new drugs, or so I'm to believe