• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Intentionally induced precipitated withdrawals - LOCKED DUE TO POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swagittarius

Greenlighter
So, after reading a case study and after my own personal experience of quitting (about 2 years ago, was clean for about a year), I was wondering if this actually had any effectiveness.

To elaborate on my own experience, I had only been about a wee 14-18 hours in from my last dose, when I got the bright idea to shoot the suboxone I had recently (at the time) acquired from a program. Of course, once I felt it course in my veins from releasing the tie, an imaginary bass drop sound played in my head. I knew I fucked up, as I proceeded to feel a tingling in the back of my head that turned into a roar of discomfort. Banging my head against the wall, waiting for the shock to subside so I could at least withdraw (no pun intended) into my bed and fall asleep. I somehow had once previously experienced precipitated withdrawals somewhere in the distant past using this same route and this seemed to be a course of action that followed (as I do with a bout of cotton fever, except with a hot shower first).

Amazingly enough when I finally arose (thanks for letting me sleep, seroquel) and while I still had to endure a day or two of withdrawals although not as unbearably seething as I was able to quest on Runescape to pass the time, completing both Recipe for Disaster for the first time ever, and what seemed to be my third bout of Monkey Madness (If you know, you know. I'm still astonished I finished them in withdrawal). Point being, my regular, unmanaged withdrawals leave me unable to look at a screen because of the glaring light and headache that usually follows, being annoyed at my favorite past time that forces me to be alone in my head (for the worse). Obviously, this includes television and virtually anything else. Withdrawals without comfort meds (whether weed or perscription) just absolutely devastate me, making me loathe everything and anything. So being able to do something, was actually miraculous.

This is all in comparison to the most recent time I quit, only getting about a weeks worth of clean time in, but definitely agonized significantly worse in the process. All of day 2 consisted of thrashing in my bed, trying to get comfortable, not even arising to get a cigarette in. My phone screen was a box of unfiltered sunlight that burned into the cores of my eyes. Day 3 was manageable, groggy and painful but not torturous enough that doing something stupid to end it all wasn't in the back of my mind.

Of course, I ask this because I would much rather endure an instantaneous descent into hell, to start at the bottom to make my way back up rather than have to slowly climb down THEN back up, if you catch my drift. Also, pardon all of this because it's more or less of myself getting this experience off my chest, as I do not have friends that use (as the single one who came around for my sudden relapse was nixed out of my life for his disregard) and do not discuss my habits with anyone. Any family member that is aware of my situation, wouldn't grasp any of these semantics. Some might say that's a problem, but I believe my will is strong as I am preparing to make the jump again, almost excited to.

Tl;dr Would intentionally induced precipitated withdrawals possibly make the withdrawal process easier, or shorter? As said, to start from the top of the hill instead of having to make my way up, first?

my understanding of precipitated withdrawals is that they can be more dangerous than normal withdrawals, so this is a risky strategy. i'm glad you made it out OK.

i really would not assume that because you have cut the one person you used with out of your life, it will be easy to quit. i moved to a new city where i knew no one to get away from heroin (and a person), and ended up in my worst state ever and lost everything. cos i didn't realise that there was more to stopping using drugs than stopping using drugs. and every time i relapsed i thought it must be cos i was weak, so i hated myself even more. what i know now is that heroin was doing somethinig very important for me, and if i didn't understand what that was and find a way to address the need healthily, i would use again.

willpower doesn't really work for addiction. there is a phenomenon called ego fatigue. basically we got a finite amount of willpower. the way to avoid using it all up then scoring is to reframe what drugs do for you, so stop viewing them as something beneficial and start conceiving of them as whatever negatives it is that's making you want to quit.

my understanding of precipitated withdrawals is that they can be more dangerous than normal withdrawals, so this is a risky strategy. i'm glad you made it out OK.

i really would not assume that because you have cut the one person you used with out of your life, it will be easy to quit. i moved to a new city where i knew no one to get away from heroin (and a person), and ended up in my worst state ever and lost everything. cos i didn't realise that there was more to stopping using drugs than stopping using drugs. and every time i relapsed i thought it must be cos i was weak, so i hated myself even more. what i know now is that heroin was doing somethinig very important for me, and if i didn't understand what that was and find a way to address the need healthily, i would use again.

willpower doesn't really work for addiction. there is a phenomenon called ego fatigue. basically we got a finite amount of willpower. the way to avoid using it all up then scoring is to reframe what drugs do for you, so stop viewing them as something beneficial and start conceiving of them as whatever negatives it is that's making you want to quit.
Well I appreciate your response, and I know you're just giving what would be the case for most people but I know myself better and I know the bouts that I've been clean, and the reasons why I've relapsed. It is literally always been other people, and not telling them to fuck off when they have had problems. I feel bad for them, because I still want to be their friend, but then eventually the temptation gets to me because I see how they are and of course, I'm putting up with it and not telling them to go be stupid somewhere else because we're hanging out. If I'm not around it, I don't worry about it. I have no inclination to use when I'm not around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.