• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Instant-Yawning when Smoking Tobacco when Opioid Withdrawals are Beginning?

Valentine4

Bluelighter
PRE-NOTE: When I was still using, I would notice this exact same phenomenon while using other opiates. I just happen to use Methadone now.

SUBJECT:

Whenever I smoke a cigarette, way after my opioid dose has worn off, and just prior to noticeable withdrawal symptoms setting in, the cigarette will always cause me to yawn

Yes, 100%, everytime I smoke a cigarette/pipe, just prior to withdrawal-symptoms beginning, it causes me to YAWN INSTANTANEOUSLY when I take a drag.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Theory on the Pharmacogical mechanism casuing this:
There is ZERO literature discussing this phenomenon. Not even literature showing nicotine can displace opioids from mu or kappa opiate-receptors, which are receptors, that when blocked, weakly agonized, or antagonized trigger yawning. Typically the opiate's affinity to the receptor, at and its strong agonism at the receptor, prevents yawning. So in theory, if nicotine was displacing the Opiate, and acts as poor-agonist or antagonist, would induce yawning. Theres no studies showing nicotine does that, so maybe nicotine is triggering the yawning symptom of Opioid Withdrawals i other way .

IMPORTANT BACKGROUND:
  1. I am one of the opiate users who experience paradoxical stimulant-effects from Opiates/Opioids. That is to say, all opiates make me hyper, somtimes even manic, and grant me energy and focus acomplish long tasks that normally I would not have energu to do (such as writing this thread)
  2. I am what my doctors have called a hypermetabolizer. And, just in case it's related, I do take cimetidine to try and delay my body's rapid metabolism of methadone, but it never lasts 24 hours unless I double dose.
  3. The smoking-induced yawning happens whenever withdrawals are just beginning, at any time of day, with any opiate.

RECENT EXPERIENCE OF THE CIGARETTE-YAWNING:

Lately I experience this every time I do the following...

I normally take my methadone dose of 175 mg around around 7 AM in the morning.​
By 6AM or 7AM (usually earlier) the next morning, my most-subtle withdrawal symptom, insomnia, wakes me up without fail (even I only got an hours sleep or used benzos to knock me out a few hours earlier).​
Here is the weird thing is: during that time period - wheb very, very subtle withdrawal symptoms begin (but not yawning):

if I smoke a cigarette in that time frame, before real withdrawals set in, I instantly start to yawn as soon as I take a drag of the cigarette....

WHY?

(I don't notice any other physical/mental effects from the cigarette)

NOTE: When I do experience full blown opiate withdrawals, Yawning is indeed one of the earlier symptoms I encounter. But when the cigs cause the yawning, its a time when I am not yawning at all otherwise. But I don't understand why cigarettes wouldn't do cigarettes would induce this withdrawal symptom, none of the literature seems to have an explanation for this.

I'm definitely not sleepy when the yawn happens. In fact, when the cigs cause the yawning, its a time when I am not yawning at all otherwise.

Last edited:
Yawning seems to be a method to cool the brain.
For me, smoking increases withdrawal, specially from SSRIs but also felt uncomfortably when in opioid withdrawal.
Also nicotine is a cholinergic and opioid withdrawal seems to be partially mediated by a surge in choline, anticholinergics help with it.

But maybe somebody with more knowledge can give you the definitive answer.

I like the cholinergic / anti-choliergic theory. Anyone have another theory? I'm experiencing this again this morning /sigh

I am addicted to both opioids and nicotine and can’t even be around a cigarette when I’m getting sick. Never understood people who can. Makes me wanna throw up just thinking about it. But i get well and i crave nicotine.

Isn't there some connection between high carbon monoxide or dioxide, and yawning? Body thinks it needs more air so forces a yawn?