Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Independant film making camera choice...

strange

Bluelighter
Hi all,

My first post in this forum but i have been lurking for awhile.

I am headed the the beautiful land of Alaska to do some research. However, this research has a long history and so i wanted to document it in the best way.

I have been learning photography for the past 3 years, and have stepped into some digital video with some friends doing the editing.

So for this trip i am buying new equipment with a $1000 CND ceiling.
I was looking at this camera.

Canon Optura 20
http://canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&prodid=439&sgid=5&gid=2&ovr=1

I will be using an external mic with a wind screen.

Do you think this will provide me with the quality that i need. Lets my favorable quality is:
way better than Blair witch project, on the lines of Kids and slightly lower quality than Crash .

Thanks
Strange

Yes, this camera sounds like it'll give you what you're looking for. The look will definately be far better then BLAIR WITCH. Since it sounds like you'll be shooting exteriors the look should be pretty awesome as mini dv is an excellent format and Cannon's make pretty decent camera's. I'm pretty sure this camera has a view screen so be sure to grab extra batteries because you'll go through them really quick when using a view screen.

Good luck with the documentary!

rad,

thanks m_B_D, i think this is what i am going with.
Ah shooting video. can't wait.

Thanks,
Strange.

hi strange

welcome to f&t - thanks for uncloaking :)

how do you plan to edit your movie?

alasdair

*screams* final cut pro, final cut pro!! though i've never actually *used* premiere or anything, i just love final cut :D

You should get at least sennheiser or OCTAVA external mic for best quality because the on camera mic will provide muffled at best sound, however if you are going to be doing voice overs for your part don't even worry about your voice but have a hand held mic for interviews if you will doing that....

Wow, i am excited: i leave in a few hours...

and yes i did aquire the Optura and it looks sleek, easy to hold and fun with little tapes but i haven't filmed with it yet. I will save my excitement. And yes i will be using Final Cut Pro with this project with photoshop and illustrator for the stills.

Audio: i am using a AKG vocal mic with windscreen. (crosses fingers and hopes it doesn't sound like a nasty fast-food-drive-through speaker)

Thanks for your trusted thoughts, i can't wait to get started.

Strange

----

so... you like Earth