• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Increased risk with starting opioids again?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
Are there any extra/increased risks when taking drugs again after a withdrawal period?

Like with opioids, if you were taking say 8 times the theraputic dose for a month...and then you don't take any for a few weeks (and go through withdrawal), and then start up again at the SAME dose as when you stopped are there any increased/extra risks?

Is the chance of accidental overdose higher due to lower tolerance?

You answered your question absolutely with your very last question! If you have stopped opioids, gone through withdrawal and it's been a few weeks you will have virtually no tolerance at all so yes the risk for OD will be extremely high if you were to take that same high dose you were able to withstand when you were using everyday before you stopped, so always be very mindful of tolerance dropping quickly after stopping opioids for a bit and always do a small test dose to be safe!

Remember you can add more but you can't take away!

As the guy above me states your tolerance on opiates drops very fast. I can't count how many times I have gone even a few days without heroin and then done a shot only slightly lower than my normal and woke up a few hours later throwing my guts up having passed out and almost overdosed. Dose around what you would have when you first started using though be aware when going back to opiates that your tolerance will go back to what it was much faster than when you were opiate naive.