• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

In recovery, what should my attitude be toward prescription medication around chemically imbalanced brain chemistry?

Warren25

Bluelighter
I have suffered from anxiety, depression, insomnia and ADHD throughout my life.

I want to be the best version of myself chemically.

Equally as an addict, I don't want to venture into a permanently mind-altered space in the pharmaceutical realm.

What should my attitude and philosophy be when it comes to for instance, something like Vyvanse that can arrest some of my physiological challenges but is nonetheless an amphetamine - with me in recovery.

Thank you

Depends on how well you like the pharm that you get. If I was a recovering heroin addict, pain pills would be a no no. If I was a recovering meth addict, vyvance would be a no no. I sometimes think that the opposite drug is better for people if they have to have something in recovery.

That's why kratom can fit the bill for many. It can be both stimulating and sedating depending on the dose.

It's dangerous territory to start taking pharms that are too close to your drug of choice. Some meth addicts get adderall and go downhill quick eating the script up in a week. Some heroin addicts can eat a pain script in the same time. Really depends on how much discipline you have and how bad you want to recover. I was never one for moderation so nothing is safe with me. But if you think you can control it and think it will help you I hope you can get something.

Well I’m glad I chose not to take all those medications when they tried forcing them on me in rehab. I feel my life is much better than it woulda been if I had. I was able to cure all my issues more or less through diet and exercise changes.

-GC

Well I’m glad I chose not to take all those medications when they tried forcing them on me in rehab. I feel my life is much better than it woulda been if I had. I was able to cure all my issues more or less through diet and exercise changes.

-GC
Good to hear. Same with me. I still need / want kratom to cover lingering anxiety and a tad bit of depression but that's it. Even cut way back on weed.

Sounds so hokey but exercise and diet is so beneficial to our baseline. Fresh air and sunshine. Good sleep hygiene. All the stuff we have at our disposal that gets overlooked because we think we need chemicals.

Thank you very much for all your input. I'll elect to go the conservative route as I don't trust myself with those substances anymore as much as I love them.

Thank you very much for all your input. I'll elect to go the conservative route as I don't trust myself with those substances anymore as much as I love them.
Man you aren't kidding. A lot of people in the same boat. We just can't have it at our disposal. Too tempting. Stay strong man. Hopefully soon things will get better. And. my pleasure for the input. Enjoy the rest of your week end as much as you can.

Good to hear. Same with me. I still need / want kratom to cover lingering anxiety and a tad bit of depression but that's it. Even cut way back on weed.

Sounds so hokey but exercise and diet is so beneficial to our baseline. Fresh air and sunshine. Good sleep hygiene. All the stuff we have at our disposal that gets overlooked because we think we need chemicals.

Yea don’t get me wrong I still take .75mg of suboxone a day, and cannabis. But I didn’t need all the benzodiazepines, gabapentin, SSRI’s, and more that they felt I needed.

I think people brush it off cuz it seems too simple, right. We feel our complex problems need complex solutions, but nothing in our bodies or minds goes right if we aren’t properly providing for it.

Im working out right now. On my off days I’ll do intermittent workouts where I go for 15-20min then chill on my phone for 10 or so and repeat til I’m bored with it. Any way to fit it in, while not making it into some chore.

Before I figured this shit out I was self medicating my depression and anxiety with all sorts of drugs and other BS. Drinking daily, cocaine to wake up, heroin to go to sleep, I was all sorts of fucked yo.

-GC