• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction I'm Worried I May Be Developing An Addiction, Not Sure How I'm Going To Handle It

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
While I have used and still use other substances, my use of alcohol is my primary concern here. Honestly, I am not completely sure why, but drinking for me seems to be a bit different than a lot of people. And yes, I do have an extensive family history of alcoholism. Hopefully, I have not truly crossed the line into truly losing control and descending into mental and/or physical addiction to alcohol. Unfortunately, I am concerned that I may have or could be on the precipice of something. During my adult life, I have always been a bit of a heavy drinker. I first started drinking when I was 17, just sneaking wine/liquor from my parents.

However, the way that I drank seemed a bit different than your ordinary teenager slipping booze from the liquor cabinet. I was not simply slipping a bit of booze for a party or something like that. The first time I drank (by myself) I really innately enjoyed the experience of being drunk quite a lot, and I pretty quickly began to secretly drink several times a week. Not daily but anywhere from 3-5 times per week. At that time, a relatively small amount got me where I wanted to be. But I began experimenting with drinking a bit more. As an adult, I initially just stuck to drinking a few times a week when I was 21 or so. But by then, I had drank enough and often enough that I had built a decent/pretty heavy tolerance. 6 or 7 standard sized beers was (and still is) enough for a light buzz. But not really much else.

I'd drink that amount often/even most nights during college, even if I was by myself. And at parties, I would drink somewhat phenomenal amounts without really being all that impaired mentally. Sometimes, I'd usually drink 12-15 beers or so and be drunk (e.g. a bit sloppy and such) but still pretty much with it mentally. I'd usually go out and drink this much 3-4 times per week during college. Sometimes even a little bit more. I hardly ever threw up or anything like that. This has only happened a tiny handful of times. Some friends of mine for then said that I never really acted fucked up from alcohol, that it was always kind of hard to tell if I was drunk/drinking heavily. Because I didn't really seem very drunk or even necessarily drunk at all. I seem to naturally have a pretty high tolerance. By the time I was in my early 20s, I started drinking every day. In order to even feel anything remotely worthwhile as far as a buzz, I have to drink 5-7 average size/ABV beers or the equivalent.

I have been drinking this amount nightly (unless I was sick or something or on antibiotics) for quite some time. It's a routine, daily thing. The thought of not drinking is quite bothersome to me, bums me out, and even makes me a bit anxious. Though, if I've had to go without for some medical reason like I explained, I will be able to do it without any real issue. However, due to the pandemic, my drinking has escalated to a rather worrisome extent. My previous pattern of drinking caused no problems as long as I didn't drink the hard stuff. My behavior would be completely normal. Often, even if I did drink the hard stuff, it'd be fine. It often would be, but spirits seem to sometimes fuck with my behavior in a way that beer doesn't. My tolerance is and always has been borderline phenomenal.

One time I drank nearly a whole fifth of vodka (all but 3 shots) with an 8% 12 ounce can of beer for a "chaser" in a little over an hour. Why? Just because. I was by myself at the time, just kept drinking and drinking and drinking. Next thing I know, a little over an hour later the fifth is damn near gone. This unfortunately did not go so well, as I threw up once or twice and STUPIDLY punched a metal chair with full force and got an extremely deep gash on my hand as a result that got infected. For a while, I stopped drinking the hard stuff and stopped binging. Had it pretty good and together for quite a while actually. Then, coronavirus came along, and I began going to the store less frequently in order to reduce my risk of exposure. I work from home, so I do not have to go out other than for essential stuff/buying alcohol.

So, I began to buy more alcohol to "stock up" for a few nights. As you may be expecting, I began to finish off the supply a bit early, which sometimes led to binges. By myself, for no real reason. And at times, I have drank some pretty frightening and incredible amounts as I seem to have an uncanny ability and tendency to do at times. A couple of weeks ago, I drank 1.25 gallons, yes I looked at my receipt from the liquor store and counted it.....1.25 GALLONS of 7.5-8% beer (different percentages but all within this range). And what happened? Surprisingly, not a whole heck of a lot. A bit of a hangover. But wasn't really even all that crazy drunk honestly. A little sloppy and such but nothing too crazy really. I seem to have a weird combination of high tolerance and yet a tendency to drink and drink and drink, regardless.

My tolerance is naturally pretty high, and drinking my version of a "moderate" amount (e.g. a couple 24 ounce tall boys of 8% beer) has always just given me a light buzz in my adult life, no hangover though. Yet I never would willingly go without that amount. However, if I have to, I will. And thus far, nothing has really happened in terms of negative effects when I don't drink exactly. Just a bit bummed out and such (e.g. no physical dependence on it, just psychological). Unfortunately, my drinking has recently dramatically escalated due to the changes in my behavior as a result of the pandemic/social distancing. Now, I am drinking the equivalent of approximately 10-15 standard size and ABV beers per night (I get high gravity stuff that's 8% or so, and I'll drink approximately 60-100+ ounces of high gravity 8% beer per night.

Sometimes I'll have a couple shots of whiskey as well, usually Irish whiskey or scotch these days. Used to drink vodka but not so much anymore. Though, I do usually stick to beer. All along, I have primarily drank beer. And neat whiskeys and vodkas occasionally. While I do certainly drink primarily for the drunken effects, I do also drink alcohol for the taste. With beer, I enjoy a variety of craft beers. Especially stouts but IPAs. I drink cider sometimes as well, not as often. But this Scottish cider is my favorite as far as cider goes. Even with vodka, when I drink it, I actually enjoy/savor the taste of the different brands. Some say that it's "tasteless", which is absolutely not true. The different varieties in taste are simply quite subtle, unless one becomes familiar with it.

Good vodka is incredibly smooth in a way that's hard to describe and has a mouthfeel that's indescribable and honestly amazing if you put it in the freezer for a while. Overall, I'd say that scotch is my favorite spirit though nowadays. Irish and Canadian whiskey is pretty good too. But I'd drink a 200ml bottle of cheap vodka and a 16 ounce Steel Reserve if that's all that was around. So, I do not actually just "drink for the taste". Though, I often say that. Certainly, I'd rather a few pints of craft beer or some good scotch with an IPA for a chaser than some random swill. And good beer/spirits do certainly taste good to me. But at the end of the day, the goal for me is of course the effects. My use of alcohol is concerning to me, but I do have a pretty solid track history of stopping my consumption entirely when out of necessity without any issues.

And prior to the pandemic, I actually had my alcohol use very well in check since I'd only get a certain amount each night, drink that, and that'd be all that was around until the next day. Nowadays though, I am a bit concerned. While alcohol is and always has been the primary concern here, I do use other substances as well and often have. In the past, I used to often use cannabis. Though, this was never a daily routine necessarily. And I did not have anything remotely resembling my relationship with alcohol to it. As I got older, I actually hardly ever use cannabis at all. By hardly ever, I mean years could pass without me using it or even thinking about it. There is simply no way that this would be the case with alcohol for me. No more plausible than waking up and looking out the window at a flock of flying pigs.

Currently, I do use stimulants. However, I didn't for many years, and I do not have anything quite like my relationship with alcohol to them. First off, I do not use meth or any non-medical stimulants, such as cocaine or meth. However, I do take Adderall and also propylhexedrine at times for recreational purposes/focus. This adds another layer to this issue. If I'm on propylhexedrine, I feel the urge to drink is heightened. It masks the effects of the alcohol to an extent and also seems to synergize with it in a way that increases my cravings. This clearly can cause problems. The use of each exacerbates my use of the other. With my prescribed Adderall, this is not so much the case. I simply take my Adderall in the morning (sometimes a little more than my prescribed dose; e.g. an extra pill or half a pill at times not running out two weeks early or anything like that). This works fine. However, things are a bit different now.

My incredibly excessive alcohol consumption has led to me taking more Adderall in the mornings, to cancel out the hangover. This leads to running out earlier or being in danger of running out earlier, which leads to more frequent use of propylhexedrine in order to act as a temporary substitute in a sense (and also an increased appreciation of it simply as a way to get high off it). This leads to me drinking more at night, due to the increased tolerance/masking from the PPX when I do this. Thus, it creates a bit of a vicious cycle. Prior to the pandemic, things were in a pretty stable state. However, I am concerned that I am developing a serious addiction to alcohol and may be on the way to developing a drug problem as well. I'm really not quite sure what to do here, but clearly drinking five pints of 8% beer every night is going to cause major problems at some point sooner or later.

Weirdly, I have never been one to go on binges with drugs. Just alcohol. Sure, there would be times when I'd smoke a lot of pot and get really high, but there's just something strange and disturbing about my tendency to drink like an absolute fish that could potentially drink a gallon or more of beer in one sitting. And have difficulty controlling myself at times. Never really felt like this with other substances. I wouldn't binge on stimulants like that, never have with anything else. Yet other substances are far more euphoric than alcohol. Alcohol is quite mundane in how it feels to me. Yet somehow this is the only substance that I have had this strange draw/serious and possibly unstoppable compulsions with.

Maybe try to slow it down to every other day?
Not really sure what you're asking, if anything tbh.
Definitely sounds like you are drinking an unhealthy amount that will eventually lead to organ damage and/or dependance.
I've seen and spoken to the alcoholics in rehab bro, its not pretty.
Booze is one of the worst. I myself struggle not to drink sometimes, on and off, mainly depends on how much money i have, but once i get to the point where its daily and involves morning drinking, or shaky hands/no appetite/feeling 'off' if i dont get a 7.4% cider down me by 3pm, i nip it in the bud for a bit...

Yeah, that sounds like you already have an addiction. Especially that I heard you are drinking steel reserve :p More especially that you are able to drink 1 gallon of beer in 1 sitting.

When was the last time you went 48 hours without a drink?

It only took my grandfather 7 years of hard drinking to blow out his liver and die. He died at 38. 4 years of hard drinking for me had my liver enzymes over triple the upper level. I still drink, but just a 24oz now. Maybe once a week will drink more. Skipping days I don't feel too good. We'll see how my next blood test comes back. Made need to quit 100%. It takes time to get out of drinking which is the shitty part. The withdrawal is very scary to the level you don't even want to test it.

But you would of had to feel withdrawal symptoms by now? Unless you are daily morning to night drinker. In which case you are going to be in serious trouble soon. But you say you only drink at night. You feel completely fine? Intense sweating is one of the 1st symptoms I noticed. As above shakiness and no appetite also is a good sign you are dependent (or getting there as alcohol dependence varies extremely from person to person).

Cut out the hard liquor 100%, and only drink weak beer for now. Get a blood test and get your liver checked. Try cutting down as well. You will most likely need extra help, but seeing where you stand health wise may just scare you enough.

Also mixing stims + liquor is very bad for the heart. Would imagine it would give you some strange feelings too. Its funny since I hate stims too, but sniffing adderall was something I kinda enjoyed. Luckily they rarely came around so didn't do them much. Its like a euphoric stim when mixed with drinking. But alone, I don't like it.

Not sure bro, hopefully a stim + alcoholic comes here and answers, head for the doctor and get checked in the meantime.

i think you are already in an addiction unfortunately. i really identified with a lot of what you said.

firstly, give your liver a break, at least one day. you will be doing a lot of damage. i have irreversible problems with my stomach due to drinking, dodged a bullet with the liver, honestly the doctor couldn't explain how it was still ok. so prioritise having at least some sort of break from alcohol ASAP.

i totally get you about the pandemic making it worse. i was doing NA style total abstinence at the start, but now especially when its darker and colder outside, i've slipped. its just so difficult to face the four walls of your own house indefinitely. make sure you get outside for a decent amount of time each day, and try some proper exercise. i find running helps, though now i'm drinking more that's gone out the window a bit.

check out your local drugs services, and try NA/SMART, mutual support from other addicts is really helpful in early recovery. get a therapist if you possibly can. you need to find out what using is doing for you and how to address that need, because you're getting fucked up for a reason.

Careful with that, bruh. Of course I do not have to pom-pom from the sidelines touting the risks and unhealthy habits accociated with alcohol "mis"-use. It is too damn easy, "legal" and it appears that you are getting positive confirmation with what you already know or fear.
Not sure what to suggest... alcohol (IME/O) needs a replacement when the vacuum is applied. I couldn't give it up if it weren't for weed. Not trying to push one substance over another; I am merely pointing out my issues when dropping A. I personally needed a crutch and possibly still do? Not sure....
Sitting here drinking sake offering some words re: alcohol abuse to another is kinda ironic, I think. One thing I find is that my habits that kept me a drunk have been replaced and when I do drink I find it is short lived cause new habits compel me to move on. :)
Realizing that a potential issue at hand is great. At least "reality" is within reach and your goals (whatever they may be) are attainable. All one has to do is do, heard?
Nobody ever told me it would be easy... oh, yeah; they did tell me that and were full of shite. hahahaha
One