• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

If you have long hair, what do you use on it?

fasteddie

Bluelighter
I'm looking into formulating a new line of low cost, as-organic-as-possible hair care products. I'd sure appreciate any feedback from people on what you use, and why you like it.

I came across a great book yesterday, "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me", by Paula Begoun. It's an exhaustive review of all manner of cosmetics. What a racket! Lots of these products are insanely overpriced, don't do what they claim, and can actually make your skin worse.

Hope this is in the right place.

Not sure what you consider as " long hair"?

Sorry but I'm all about drugs with my hair. Chemicals and coconut oil bro ;)

THE thing is Olaplex
olaplex-mechanism.jpg

Once a week I use Acure shampoo. I hate to use shampoo but I can't get by with no poo as my hair is naturally curly and thick. I use apple cider vinegar about three times a week as a rinse. Anytime it gets wet I put grape seed oil in it, otherwise it's too unruly lol. I dye my hair with pure henna. I also use the diffuser for two minutes after towel drying it, but that's it. I'm trying to grow it out and found that less seems to be more, and since I no longer straighten it I don't need a lot of products. It's fairly low maintenance. If I'm going out or know I will be sweating I may rub some essential oils through it so it doesn't smell earthy.

I use Acure shampoo because it is efficient for getting the oils out, and it doesn't have many ingredients. The ingredients it does use seem to be authentically produced by nature, or so that's how it reads lol. I use grape seed oil because it seems to work well my my hair texture without weighing it down or appearing overtly greasy. Pure henna works surprisingly well and adds a nice long lasting protective layer to the shaft. It's not as easy to apply as conventional dyes (has the consistency of mud), and it takes 24 hours to cure after mixing, but it doesn't fade and there are no harsh chemicals - it's just one ingredient. I mix it with apple cider vinegar and it covers greys and blondes great.

You mentioned skin care products - yeah, it's pretty frightening what chems go into those and cosmetics. If it's touching my skin it has to be organic. Most of my products come from the kitchen and work just as well if not better than the high end brands I used to use. The only thing that's not organic is retain-a as I'm not ready for laugh lines and discoloration yet.

I bleach bits of my hair and dye them pink, so I think it would be a bit hypocritical of me to be concerned that my shampoo wasn't organic.

I used to bleach my hair weekly to keep it white but had to stop because it was getting thin, which ins why I tried to go chem free for a while. I do miss the fun and versatility of conventional dyes and products.

Has anyone tried the no-poo shampoo? IE not using any product at all, just water?

As I age and have more grey in my dark hair I decided to bleach / highlight (only by a professional, never at home by me) the rest to go grey / lighter "gracefully" lol. It's meant some chemical processing hence the Olaplex treatment. This has been fantastic as it's repairing any damage from within. It has also meant I don't need to wash my hair as often and allowed me to not to strip any more of its natural oils out when I do cleanse it.

Adding organic coconut oil to my hair has helped a lot. It's so nourishing and conditioning.

Diet is also another thing, good nutrition is going to help the most for healthy hair etc.

i did no-poo (water only) for like 2 or 3 months with below shoulder length hair and it was a mistake. i could only tie it up because if i tried to wear it down i couldn't manage it at all, i don't even use styling products ever, just let water dry. i think numero uno fuckup was your supposed to use a boar bristle brush to evenly distribute the oils every day because your scalp is accumulating oil and it helps to moisten the hair. i think people say don't use coconut oil on the tips, don't remember why, remember it almost being more time intensive than washing every 3-4 days with natural ingredients shampoo which i didn't really have any initial problems with. i think ppl that get it to work out are the ppl with 3000+ posts on forums abt having long hair, i could be wrong though. most ppl i encounter who have tried some variation don't find success, but i guess with a hair mentor it could work out?

i think my BBB was too cheap or hard so there were def strand of hair shorter than they were supposed to be even with a layered hair cut (i'm a guy), idk if other ppl could tell but it bothered me enough to partly convince me to shave it all off.

i really dig sukin cosmetic prodcuts, i just realised its an australian brand, probably can find the ingredients thought, it smells...booomb. probly pricy

and low cost organic products sounds like an oxymoron to me

ye you reminded me kon it always comes back to diet/lifestyle i swear, cut out gluten (bread/pasta/grains etc) ppl say sourdough bread is easier for the carbohydrates to metabolise?
lots of balanced and fresh whole food, fruit/veg/smoothies/exercise and maintaining that for a few weeks or so

probably being happy helps too, but its all interconnected.

i miss my long hair but, i think it would suck in the tropics anyway so maybe serendipitous, interesting process aswell

Last edited:
Koneko- I went no poo when I first started growing my hair out. I did it for four months and it did not end well...I started losing hair. I also found its really not an option for those of us with super curly hair unfortunately.

I agree with Mysterie- diet makes a significant difference in the quality of hair, skin, and nails. since switching to a clean diet and juicing daily my hair, skin, and nails are the best they've ever been.

I shampoo with dr. bronner's, which is quite drying. I then rinse with ACV. I use castor oil in my hair in small amounts and comb it through. I have naturally thin hair and castor oil make sit grow thicker and luscious.

Koneko- I went no poo when I first started growing my hair out. I did it for four months and it did not end well...I started losing hair. I also found its really not an option for those of us with super curly hair unfortunately.

I agree with Mysterie- diet makes a significant difference in the quality of hair, skin, and nails. since switching to a clean diet and juicing daily my hair, skin, and nails are the best they've ever been.

You and Mysterie lasted longer than me with the no poo method. Though I do find the less I shampoo the better my hair is and it'd natural oils come though it.

My diet helps enormously, I eat low carb high fats and it shows in my skin, nails and hair. Regardless what I wash my hair with. I don't use organic products, may hair is fairly processed and I use stuff to help / protect that. The olaplex treatments have made a massive difference to it's condition. I still do an organic coconut oil treatment once a week (and boy it's a bitch to wash out..) but it coats it, soothes it and makes it softer.

Why did you think you lost hair Moreaux, that's so odd?

I have shoulder length kinky hair and on day 3-4 without a wash it takes on its own type of dread-like-curl. I like it but when i wash it and comb it out with conditioner there's a lot of shedding which I just think its natural, as its pretty thick anyway and I rarely weid the brush on those days before hand.