View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ibogaine + Ayahuasca contraindications

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Okay. I know you should not combine ayahuasca and iboga/ibogaine. I know that much.

However, in the wake of an Iboga flood, when you've got noribogaine in your system, is it okay to take ayahuasca? Say the ayahuasca is boiled long enough to convert all the harmaline into THH (tetrahydroharmine). Noribogaine and THH both have serotonin reuptake inhibition properties, iirc...

Would there be any problem taking Ayahuasca like 10 days after an iboga flood?

What about taking ayahuasca while microdosing iboga rootbark?

What about drinking ayahuasca 5 days before an iboga flood?

Thanks.

I'm afraid that I cannot speak from experience on this matter, so please be cautious to trust anything I say.

Not being as educated on noribogaine as I would like, my immediate reaction would be to want to avoid the combination. I've heard whispers that its apparent serotonin reuptake inhibitor activities can differ from the standard pharmaceutical variety, but I am not sure how or if that is even true.

I am curious about something. This, in particular:

Say the ayahuasca is boiled long enough to convert all the harmaline into THH (tetrahydroharmine).

Is this something that actually happens? I have honestly never heard of this before, but that would be quite interesting to me if it's true. Though, I'm still not sure how much I would trust the reaction to happen when factoring in the risk for a potentially dangerous drug combination.... And what would become of the harmine? Is only harmaline converted to something?

I suppose I do feel confident enough to answer your last question, about drinking ayahuasca five days before taking ibogaine. I would be very surprised if anything happened there, as to my knowledge harmala alkalaoids, despite being well-studied and widely used, have no known long-lasting MAOI effects.

I am sorry I couldn't answer more of your questions, but hope that someone here is able to.

^ I hadn't heard about that before either. I'd be interested to learn more.

What about taking ayahuasca while microdosing iboga rootbark?
You are likely to vomit your rootbark up because of the likely "purging" that happens with aya.

Not worth it.

Some see purging as a pesky side effect, others as a part of the healing process. I subscribe to the latter view.

I wouldn't do it. I did an ibogaine flood dose in April 2014, and 5 days afterwards I decided to smoke some DMT because for various reasons I was feeling very low and I was hoping the DMT would steer me back in the right direction. I loaded only 10mg, I was going for a light experience. What followed was an hour-long journey into strange scenes that felt like recollections of blocked memories, and an incredible level of terror. The DMT felt so much different than usual. I distinctly felt that I should not have done it. Weirdly, it came in repeating waves, where I'd be almost back to normal and then suddenly rocket back up with no warning. It was some of the most terror I have ever felt. And that was just with smoked DMT, adding an MAOI to the mix sounds to me like a very dangerous idea. I don't have any evidence of that phamacologically, but I am strongly recommending against it.

Just let the noribogaine do its thing, it's really a beautiful thing. :)

^ Exactly.

Some see purging as a pesky side effect, others as a part of the healing process. I subscribe to the latter view.
I agree so much with this statement that I also would say to add rootbark or a flood dose near your aya trip is only going to muddle the healing process.

Both of these drugs are amazing, it sounds like you want to abuse them imo.

I wouldn't do it. I did an ibogaine flood dose in April 2014, and 5 days afterwards I decided to smoke some DMT because for various reasons I was feeling very low and I was hoping the DMT would steer me back in the right direction. I loaded only 10mg, I was going for a light experience. What followed was an hour-long journey into strange scenes that felt like recollections of blocked memories, and an incredible level of terror. The DMT felt so much different than usual. I distinctly felt that I should not have done it. Weirdly, it came in repeating waves, where I'd be almost back to normal and then suddenly rocket back up with no warning. It was some of the most terror I have ever felt. And that was just with smoked DMT, adding an MAOI to the mix sounds to me like a very dangerous idea. I don't have any evidence of that phamacologically, but I am strongly recommending against it.

Just let the noribogaine do its thing, it's really a beautiful thing. :)
Thank you for that. You're not the first person to tell me that they smoked DMT shortly after an Iboga experience and had a terrible time. I shall trust the Iboga.
Relatedly, I dosed a *teeny* bit of oral cannabis after an iboga microdose recently, and a similar thing happened--I felt deeply that I should not have taken it for various reasons.

I agree so much with this statement that I also would say to add rootbark or a flood dose near your aya trip is only going to muddle the healing process.

Both of these drugs are amazing, it sounds like you want to abuse them imo.

Thanks for the input both of you. Wolfgang, I just want to create the most healing experience; I do not want to "abuse" them. I've noticed you like to jump to that conclusion about a lot of people on this site. But I appreciate the reminder that it's good to stick with one master medicine.

It's repeatedly apparent to me that Iboga wants to work alone.