• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ibogaine and mental illness

Instead of trying SSRI's which have lots of side effects and imo puts up an emotional wall in ways that removes aspects of peoples personalities, oh course not everyone. I would recommend seeing if you can get a prescription to 'Gabapentin'. Essentially it's a synthetic GABA Amino Acid that is able to cross the Blood-Brain-Barrier, unlike GABA in it's natural form.

It is the best social anxiety medicine I've ever come across and the side effects are far less than SSRI's. It doesn't even feel like there is a substance in your body, other than how incredibly it effects paralyzing fear and social racing thoughts and heart speeding up to anxiety (Which sets off a lot of the other symptoms and makes the anxiety worse usually).

Without taking potentially addictive or memory affecting Benzo's or Opiods which are not the best thing for continued treatment - Gabapentin at 300mg (or 400mg) twice a day, which is still a very small dose - but extremely effective and life changing. It removes the anxiety so your personality is able to shine through without anxiety holding it back.

I've seen so many people have trouble finding any joy in life, after quitting SSRI's which is horrible - never seen this with Gabapentin.

its 2015, im still fine aside from some situational induced depression. there a go!

it is amusing to note how in this particular thread the only people who recommends iboga are those... who actually tried it

people who haven't tried iboga doesn't recommend it "because they heard something", while people who actually have experience it recommend it

i'd go empirical with this

How to recommend something with a 1/300 death rate? It's a personal choice with heavy consequences imo... The pro and cons have to be weighted precisely! Personally, I'm interested by a flood dose, but my minor addiction and my little anxieties aren't worth the risk, so I choose to microdose to try a little bit iboga. I found that my DXM trips are more therapeutic with a little iboga in my system. The last one brought a lot of difficult sensations to the surface, it's unusual for me with DXM only.

Last edited:
The only deaths from iboga have been due to bad hearts, which you should certainly get tested before you go there. An ibogaine flood dose saved/changed my life, in many more ways than just curing my opiate addiction (though it did that too). I feel more myself and more confident and more productive and more inspired ever since (10 months ago). I could see ibogaine working for anxiety. I found it extremely gentle and warm, overwhelmingly intense but not in a frightening way.

Ibogaine is definitely something special. To the guy who said it isn't, have you tried it?

We should all stop talking about how great ibogaine is. I've heard it mentioned that the iboga plant could becoming endangered, so it's probably best to let people think it's dangerous and terrible.

Ibogaine is the devil! It killed my cat and gave me genital warts!

I totally agree with you and think that your story is a beautiful success and I really thank you for sharing it with us. But we just have to keep our mind and put the facts : Ibogaine can kill. Mix an opiate with a flood dose and goodbye. I found a paper that said that the cardiovascular danger was also here for low doses. (I wasn't aware of that before trying my microdosing experiment). I have to find it...

Did somebody notice that Iboga greatly enhance the psychedelic effect of cannabis? I'm falling in love again with pot. Before microdosing with ibo, I felt anxiety and fog when I smoke pot. That's not the same anymore. Cannabis is way more euphoric, psychedelic, and laughing. I love it.

Last edited:
Well yeah definitely don't mix opiates or any other drugs with ibogaine. Or treat it lightly, or use it recklessly. Taking ibogaine is a serious commitment that is a good last resort. I struggled for 10 years and finally took it and it was precisely what I needed. But you're right, it has killed. It's not a toy by any means. I wouldn't have mentioned it in this thread except it was already mentioned. For someone with the proper amount of respect for it who had a long-term, life-destroying addiction, I would recommend it for sure (and have recommended it).

Did somebody notice that Iboga greatly enhance the psychedelic effect of cannabis? I'm falling in love again with pot. Before microdosing with ibo, I felt anxiety and fog when I smoke pot. That's not the same anymore. Cannabis is way more euphoric, psychedelic, and laughing. I love it.

I've noticed this, too, but a more accurate statement is that ibogaine makes EVERYTHING better, not just weed.

5 days after my flood dose (when metabolites are very powerfully in your mind), I smoked 7mg of DMT and it was utterly bizarre and terrifying, where I seemed to get brief access to strange memories that I would reflexively block and be unable to get back to, and I will filled with blinding amounts of terror. It lasted for 45 minutes, and it would come up and then down, and then shoot back up. Weirdest DMT experience of my life, I hardly had any either.

Yeah but the experience was SO different and so much more intense than other experiences from it, from such a low dose. Also instead of fractals my vision just went pure green and I was filled with a sense of impending doom. I've never felt anything like it from DMT. And also it kept rocketing tom a peak for like 30 seconds and then coming down and then there was this squishy sound in my head like bubbles coming loose and it would rocket all the way back up, then down, then up... etc. I've never felt anything like it from DMT. But then I was on ibogaine too so it's no wonder.

Are you saying ibogaine doesn't give you a mood lift? That would be very strange and unfortunate. It makes me (and pretty much everyone else, from what I've seen) feel great about life for a period of time after ingesting it. I wouldn't presume it to make me immune to negative emotions, though, or prevent a bad trip. Obviously a mood lift makes most things more enjoyable (unless you're a goth), with DMT being a not-too-surprising exception.

Oh no, it gave me a tremendous mood lift for quite a long time afterwards. It was just that DMT experience that was weird. Well, and the first week was a little rough for a couple of reasons (I wrote a really long story about it).

I've thought about it. I want to have an ibogaine experience maybe once a year, not a flood dose every time but more like my booster dose to my flood dose was (350-500mg I'm thinking). Feels like it would be good for me. Microdosing is appealing too but I like the idea of more significant experiences separated by substantial time.

If I do do that, it will be a year in late April.

I do want to do a flood dose again someday, it was so deeply cleansing and beautiful and transformative, like nothing I've ever experienced.