• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I need your help. (withdrawal from narcotics)

zagor11

Bluelighter
Hello. I am on oxycodone and I have to quit it. I have been taking anywhere from 40-90 mg at a time at various times. However, my prescription says 50 mg every 4 hours. I just tried to start my taper and tried with 35 mg every 4 hours but no-no. The withdrawal symptoms started right away. So I went to 50 mg.

I plan to stay on 50 mg for a few days and then reduce by (how much?) this is where I need your help. How much should I taper and how often?

Also, when I start my oxycodone withdrawal, do you recommend any supplements?

Another question is does methadone get you high AND is it SAFE with klonopin?

Thank You

You can taper down as fast or as slow as you want, the faster you taper the sooner you will be free of opiates but the more uncomfortable the withdrawals will be and vice versa. Maybe try tapering down 5mg per dose every few days, it'll take you more or less a month at that rate but it'll likely be fairly smooth.

Methadone will get you high and no it's not safe with klonopin unless your body is familiar with methadone and even then both doses should be kept low. They are both CNS depressants and can cause you to stop breathing if taken in excess.

Never mix opiates and benzodiazepenes. Even if you have a significant tolerance to both, one day it will catch you unawares and if you're lucky you'll wake up in hospital. If you're not, you won't...

Do you know of or have any link what supplements I could use during withdrawal? I have a small advantage when it comes to tapering and that is I don't have any craving because after being on suboxone I couldnt get high at all. But the othrtproblem my pre-existing depression which gets worse when I take less oxy. But I believe it would pay off at the end.

What is better.

I am on my way to wean off oxycodone 300 mg a day. I do not have a big problem with that since it doesn't make me high or euphoric so I think within 4-5 months I will be able to do it.

My question is this. Should I take a lower dose than prescribed (rx is 50 mg every 4 hours) and go to 40 mg every 4 hours 6xday or should I take it 4 times a day but higher dose.I could use 50 or 55 mg every 6 hours so I can get some uninterrupted sleep. What would you do in my shoes?

So far taking 40 mg 6xday is working finebut its way too often however I fear the withdrawal that kick in usually after 5 hours I take my dose.

I merged this thread with your other one because they were on the same topic. You should probably do bigger doses less often, oxycodone is a shorter acting opioid so this will hopefully ensure you can get a full nights rest without waking up in the middle of the night in withdrawals.

I think you need to go rehab or detox clinic.
Im on 60mg 30mg twice a day extended and my doctor says that is a high dose
people in america get crazy doses though, I could take more than 150mg oxy in a day gives me bad rattle afterwards though.
Im in same boat i got down to 25mg then fucked it all up abusing methadone!! still got big tolerance from that and it been nearly 3month since had itl

OP, I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this. Opioid withdrawal is akin to a vision quest. It's one of the most difficult and significant experiences that many of us have as chronic users. However, it's totally possible and you should not let yourself worry too much. We're here to help guide you as best we can :)

Firstly, you mentioned Methadone. Methadone is an Opioid Agonist just like Oxycodone is, but it lasts maybe 3-4 times as long as the relatively short duration of Oxycodone. An Opioid is an Opioid and they are all cross-tolerant to varying degrees. If you use Methadone to medicate your withdrawal from Oxycodone with Methadone, you will likely achieve no more than prolonging the experience in a slightly more mild way. Luckily, there are many other substances that you can look into that will help you out. I encourage you to do some digging yourself, but I will list a few here briefly.

Clonidine (Catapres) - Generally used as an antihypertensive drug, it helps with tremors, perspiration, sleep etc.

Gabapentinoids [Pregabalin (Lyrica); Gabapentin (Neurontin), Phenibut (OTC)] - These are absolutely my gold standard for withdrawal. They are immensely helpful to a lot of people. Restless Legs, Akathisia, sleep, Anxiety etc.

Cannabis - Appetite, Sleep etc.

Antihistamines - There are OTC varieties like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and prescription only ones like Hyroxyzine (Vistaril). These are often recommended by the medical community, but for many, these drugs majorly exacerbate Restless Legs and Akathisia.

Benzodiazepines - I think most of us are familiar with these guys. They are highly-addictive sedative-hypnotic drugs. They will help you sleep, reduce anxiety and just generally chill you out. As stated, they are addictive in their own right, so do not use more than is necessary lest you develop another dependency.

OP, I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this. Opioid withdrawal is akin to a vision quest. It's one of the most difficult and significant experiences that many of us have as chronic users. However, it's totally possible and you should not let yourself worry too much. We're here to help guide you as best we can :)

Firstly, you mentioned Methadone. Methadone is an Opioid Agonist just like Oxycodone is, but it lasts maybe 3-4 times as long as the relatively short duration of Oxycodone. An Opioid is an Opioid and they are all cross-tolerant to varying degrees. If you use Methadone to medicate your withdrawal from Oxycodone with Methadone, you will likely achieve no more than prolonging the experience in a slightly more mild way. Luckily, there are many other substances that you can look into that will help you out. I encourage you to do some digging yourself, but I will list a few here briefly.

Clonidine (Catapres) - Generally used as an antihypertensive drug, it helps with tremors, perspiration, sleep etc.

Gabapentinoids [Pregabalin (Lyrica); Gabapentin (Neurontin), Phenibut (OTC)] - These are absolutely my gold standard for withdrawal. They are immensely helpful to a lot of people. Restless Legs, Akathisia, sleep, Anxiety etc.

Cannabis - Appetite, Sleep etc.

Antihistamines - There are OTC varieties like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and prescription only ones like Hyroxyzine (Vistaril). These are often recommended by the medical community, but for many, these drugs majorly exacerbate Restless Legs and Akathisia.

Benzodiazepines - I think most of us are familiar with these guys. They are highly-addictive sedative-hypnotic drugs. They will help you sleep, reduce anxiety and just generally chill you out. As stated, they are addictive in their own right, so do not use more than is necessary lest you develop another dependency.

Thanks @Keif' Richards

As I was withdrawing I got hit by strong depression and anxiety attack. Taking 300 mg of oxy at various times and various doses, then suddenly set a routine didn't work out. I would have to use highest doses possible for about a month and then try again. Instead of that I think I will switch to suboxone (again). However, I intend to wean off from sub as well. What I need to know is, even though the doctor will try and "convert" the right dose, I would like to know how do I know when I am on the right dose on suboxone? That is my question. After that I would slowly wean off. I am not sure yet how I would wean off but one thing at a time. Just need to know when Im stable on sub when there is no need to increase or decrease because I don't know much about suboxone. Unfortunately I cannot take pure buprenorphine but that is OK.

Hello. I am on oxycodone and I have to quit it. I have been taking anywhere from 40-90 mg at a time at various times. However, my prescription says 50 mg every 4 hours. I just tried to start my taper and tried with 35 mg every 4 hours but no-no. The withdrawal symptoms started right away. So I went to 50 mg.

I plan to stay on 50 mg for a few days and then reduce by (how much?) this is where I need your help. How much should I taper and how often?

Also, when I start my oxycodone withdrawal, do you recommend any supplements?

Another question is does methadone get you high AND is it SAFE with klonopin?

Thank You

In your situation, I would be looking at a veery slow taper. But then, I'm not you. And there's no one size fits all here.

Way I see it, the two big deciding factors here are first, how fast do you want to quit, and to what degree are you willing to tolerate withdrawal?

Methadone can absolutely get you high if you take enough of it, and honestly, with your level of usage, which to me doesn't actually sound that high, I'd probably be looking more in the direction of subuxone than methadone if you're highly adverse to withdrawal. The main concern I'd have for you with methadone is that it could be very easy for you to wind up with even greater tolerance on methadone. Methadones pretty strong all in all.

On that note, if you intend to use klonopin or any benzodiazapines with, most any opioids actually but especially methadone. Be VERY cautious. I won't say don't do it because I don't think telling people that's is realistic. But there's no question that it's very dangerous. More so for people with smaller habits. And while your habit is certainly not nothing, it's a long way from many others.

If you can manage it, tapering down probably is the best course of action. If you can't, if it becomes too uncomfortable, you might wanna look at substitution therapies. I probably wouldn't start with methadone in your case, but subuxone an option. There's also kratom, which I have never used and don't know all that much about, but I mention it anyway because it might be worth looking into as well.

But if you wanna try tapering down first, which I think is a good idea, I would suggest going very slowly. As I said different people have different experiences, but unless you're dead set on getting clean sooner than later, and are prepared for and understand the withdrawal symptoms, I'd highly recommend going slowly. As slow as you can, shooting for being completely clean by 6-12 months. Exactly how long to taper is something I'd work on as you go based on how you feel. But I would recommend anticipating that you may have to significantly slow down the taper when you get closer to being clean.

In other words, getting from say, 5mg to 0mg could be a lot more challenging than 60 to 40.

Good luck man, I hope some of these tips help, just remember that you gotta find the method that works for you. Tapering might work out great, or it might not. The important thing so long as you wanna get clean, is to remember to take any failure as a learning experience to help find better approaches in the future.

Good luck man. :)

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't check out your more recent posts close enough. As far as substitution therapies go, the "right dose" for indefinite use is whatever dose keeps you from experiencing withdrawal symptoms. When don't feel like you wanna use, you're on the right dose. If you still think about using all the time, it's probably not enough.

You mentioned depression and anxiety. It's well worth remembering the subtle symptoms of withdrawal as well. Of which depression and anxiety both are. As are drug cravings. You can experience any or all of those even if you aren't in enough withdrawal to even really notice any physical symptoms. And depression will of course increase the likelyhood of continuing destructive drug use. Never let yourself or let others tell you that you're weak for not toughing symptoms out. That's just not good advice for stopping addiction. I know you didn't mention anyone telling you such things, but it's something that comes up and often we are our own harshest critics so I just wanted to mention it anyway. :)

If depressions gonna fuck up getting your life on track, and if you find a taper eventually results in depression no matter how slow you go, I'd say that's the right time to evaluate the possibility of longer term substitution therapy. It's not perfect, but it's better than continuing a destructive addition. And longer term doesn't have to mean forever.

Last edited: