• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I need some advice guys.

Joey24x18

Bluelighter
I've been battling anxiety and depression for years, probably brought on by heavy spice usage when I was a teenager. I've tried to self medicate, which turned me into an alcoholic and benzo addict for a while. I got clean for a while, then ended up addicted to phenibut for 8 months. Now I'm clean again. I feel depressed as shit and get anxious over nothing.

I want to go talk to my doctor, but I know he's just going to try and put me on an SSRI again. I'm black listed from ever getting benzos or anything even slightly "fun" lol

Last time I talked to him, years ago, he gave me a script for celexa. I took it once and never again because I read all these horror stories online. Has anybody ever been on SSRI's and it actually helped? Did they effect your sex drive? How bad is the withdrawal? I feel like if I survived phenibut/benzo/alcohol withdrawal, I can probably handle Celexa lol

I really just need to stop trying to self medicate. If I go back and get some Celexa, I think I'm ready to actually give it a try. Its just everything I read makes it seem like SSRI's are evil.

Ssris are evil. I've never lasted more than a month on any of them they made me feel so shitty. Plus there's like almost 0 clinical evidence they work at all. Doctors tend to hand them out like candy because there's no abuse potential, and even though the side effect profile is high, it's not dangerous most the time. I don't recommend you express this sentiment to your doctor though they like to be in charge.

I was on Prozac for about 3 years before transitioning over to solely Wellbutrin. It worked to an extent, as in it made daily activities less excruciating and removed some of my depression triggered social anxiety. The side effects I experienced were minimal, and really amounted only to incredibly vivid and often lucid dreams nightly. Since Prozac, Wellbutrin has worked a little better for me, although I don't get as many awesome dreams anymore.

I didn't experience any sexual side effects, aside from it maybe taking a little longer to cum when having sex/masterbating. I didn't exactly have problems with prematurity before, but honestly this effect wasn't all that unwelcome. I never had any problems getting there, I just lasted a bit longer. More severe sexual side effects are somewhat common on SSRIs though, and I'm sure someone who had it bad will chime in but personally it was never a problem.

Hope the best for you man, I still struggle with depression too and am currently taking a lot more kratom and UEI than I would like. My personal doctor actually is a suboxone prescriber and he has told me he thinks I should try it but I have to wait until he has an opening. I have read that buperenorphine has antidepressant effects through the delta or gamma opioid receptor so maybe it will help me on two levels.

Anyways, sorry for rambling about myself. People on here often make SSRIs out to be evil but you have to keep in mind that for every person who gets severe side effects and goes on the Internet to complain about them, there are many others who did not experience side effects but no one will know because they never posted about it on the web. People generally don't go on the Internet to talk about how well their antidepressant works as often as the people who have bad reactions so the portrait painted of SSRIs is skewed.

Best of luck to you man. :)

Are you seeing a psychologist regularly? Even if you go on an anti-depressant, you probably already know that the results in combo with talk-therapy are much greater than the medication alone. Highly suggest you see someone you trust and can talk to and expect to be in it for the long haul. I'm sure you want immediate relief, but it may be that the road ahead will be windy. Good luck.

I am not sure if you tried this but training is the most amazing thing you can do to help with both depression and anxiety (not mentioning all the other benefits you get from it).

Start training now, don't wast time. Don't be over ambitious either. 3 times a week. Increase very slowly. Jogging is great. You buy a good pair of shoes and there is no expense afterward. Some prefer weight lifting. Whatever suits you.

This is the single most benefit action you can take to improve. And no matter how far you are or how good you are hoping to get, it will in the least make you a feel a bit better and maybe you won't even need medication.

I'd like also to suggest you meditation. I did meditate for a while and it helped me a great deal with the anxiety. Here is a great video on how to :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirV265ZYSw

Good luck