• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I don't react normally to some specific drugs, but extremely well to others - why?

pokego393

Greenlighter
I'm stumped, maybe someone can help or related.

- Heroin. Managed to get myself addicted to it twice, was a terrible idea, never again. Why never again? Because quite frankly i never felt a thing beside a slight buzz, and by slight buzz, i mean I get more of a buzz from weed... which i'm told by everyone is abnormal, my h was bunk, etc. But I can assure that gear was not bunk, because i have a friend who takes heroin who confirmed it was indeed 'very strong'.
Because it was very strong, but i wasn't feeling much smoking it (#3) or snorting it (#4) ( and also had tried black tar) - i got hooked, because i spent weeks trying to get to that big euphoria everyone talks about.
In the end, i went to rehab, cleaned up, and got hooked again a year later, and now I've been clean for 2 years. Again, i don't think i'll ever try it again because no euphoria was ever felt - any similar experience?

- Meth (crystal) - i get quite focused, it's nice, in excess however instead of 'going higher' i just feel tired, sluggish, my legs feel like they're on some sort of weird threadmill. I take very little pleasure from it, so that's another drug i seem to react completely differently from others. I guess that's a blessing, in this case, but still: why??

- Ketamine - I don't why but ket gives me full body orgasm even at low dosage. My whole body becomes a pleasure center and while i never tried sex on it i'd love to. ironically, 'full body orgasm' is usually reserved for pieces about opiates, so i'm very confused.

PS: ive been told by doctors i may suffer from low serotonine and cortisol issues. Could it be related?

Maybe your not really focused on being high. I never tried Heroin or any of the stronger opioids. But when Kratom was part of my daily routine I seemed to feel some kinda drugs need not to be out loud to actually be enjoyable. So it didn't do very much, no xtc, but together with some cannabioids and amphetamines thrown in. Very worthwhile to get addicted.

Wonder how you (would) react to MDMA. That stuff is very serotonine based and I used to chat, dance and do things while on it. Now anything even remotely serotinergic, like bk-MDEA, just floors me, on the couch or the floor. Preferably my bed. Glad I never had to communicate during my later experiences.

Same drug different effect. Ketamin is very euphoric in my face but not nearing what you get. And if meth is a bit like amphetamin it needs some activity I guess to get it going so setting would be very crucial for the effects. What you think.

Last edited:
I'm stumped, maybe someone can help or related.

- Heroin. Managed to get myself addicted to it twice, was a terrible idea, never again. Why never again? Because quite frankly i never felt a thing beside a slight buzz, and by slight buzz, i mean I get more of a buzz from weed... which i'm told by everyone is abnormal, my h was bunk, etc. But I can assure that gear was not bunk, because i have a friend who takes heroin who confirmed it was indeed 'very strong'.
Because it was very strong, but i wasn't feeling much smoking it (#3) or snorting it (#4) ( and also had tried black tar) - i got hooked, because i spent weeks trying to get to that big euphoria everyone talks about.
In the end, i went to rehab, cleaned up, and got hooked again a year later, and now I've been clean for 2 years. Again, i don't think i'll ever try it again because no euphoria was ever felt - any similar experience?

- Meth (crystal) - i get quite focused, it's nice, in excess however instead of 'going higher' i just feel tired, sluggish, my legs feel like they're on some sort of weird threadmill. I take very little pleasure from it, so that's another drug i seem to react completely differently from others. I guess that's a blessing, in this case, but still: why??

- Ketamine - I don't why but ket gives me full body orgasm even at low dosage. My whole body becomes a pleasure center and while i never tried sex on it i'd love to. ironically, 'full body orgasm' is usually reserved for pieces about opiates, so i'm very confused.

PS: ive been told by doctors i may suffer from low serotonine and cortisol issues. Could it be related?

I totally relate to that... My drugs of choice are psychedelics. Occasional stims and empathogens too. Have really low tolerance to all GABAergics (and I dont enjoy them by themselves at all) and barely have any high from all opioids.

I think our genetics play a huge role here making us more susceptible to certain things and pretty much immune to others. Also, the current health condition also matters, like liver and lungs function for example. A lot of people dont know it but some drugs are metabolized in lungs besides the liver.

From what you've posted I think you would enjoy things like dissociatives (Ephenidine comes to mind) and certain psychedelics.

I think its very good from the evolutionary standpoint that some of us are not getting any high from opioids, kinda like the fact that a lot of asian race people have the gene that speeds up the metabolism of alcohol to acetaldehyde so they cant enjoy drinking as it quickly becomes a physical disaster (I think I have something like that too as there is an invisible fine line between me having fun being drunk and me being passed out on the floor in my vomit). There is a little article on that - https://lordsofthedrinks.com/2013/06/24/why-indians-are-alcoholics-and-asians-cant-drink/

Thank you both, super informative posts, and I really, really appreciate it. @volsam - your comment about asians and drinks hit home, because even though I'm caucasian my asian wife will have 2 pints and essentially become an out of control mess haha - it's quite something.

I'm 100% with both of you on the fact that PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT from each other, and I wish that was something a bit more understood, so we don't end up in situation where one group praises the drugs of a drug over another, as it would ultimately lower the potential for harm reduction in some wanting to 'reproduce' the experiences they read about. Certainly was a motivator for me doing heroin and while i am glad to be clean, i almost lost everything in the process. I've been very lucky.

You're just expecting something too be caused by the drugs just by using it that doesn't just happen by using it. A lot of it comes from experiencing life on it and the differences happen because of someone's nature and nurture...

You likely experienced the opiod euphoria where there's no real effect except maybe feeling really sleepy, but it's really easy to do anything. No tension, tightness, soarness, etc. That's why it's best for pain, but it ends up being used "recreationally" or to put it better; as an escape.