Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

I don't like Japanese animation

Love Bebop! Haven't caught it in a while, though.

I'll admit, I think anime is an acquired taste. I'm still not a big fan, though there is much I like about it.

I like the angular, geometric perfection I see in much anime. It's full of spikes, rays, angles, flashing lines--in good anime, every frame feels alive, IMO. It's just a kinetic, versatile style for comedy, drama, horror, what have you.

I don't like everything about it, to be sure. I still marvel at the stylistic conservatism of anime, compared to American animation, and much of it out there does seem woefully formulaic. But stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, and others--I feel that they save the genre.

I only lament the fact that Americans are locked into this mindset that all animation is for kids and comedy. I sincerely wish that we'd take full advantage of the wonderful flexibility and creative liberty of cartoons, but for now it looks like the Japanese will remain the source of quality cel work.

Last edited:
I've been collecting manga/anime for 8 years, I love it, the laws of physics are totally broken and anything is possible, you'll see things that you couldn't imagine. Most people, now, watch more or less exploitation anime, you need to get some of the old stuff, may I suggest "The Cyber Punk Collection" <---- hardcore cyborg, giant machine guns, mega monsters blowing up cities and so on, super.

Your moaning about the facial expressions? there still images, of course there's going to have to be a mood or emotion that we all recognize or we'd be saying "what the fuck is he doing?", if you watch, say, 50 really good manga's (which most people haven't and won't) you realise that it's all about generalization, if it wasn't then no-one would understand anything about it, the "you killed my brother/best friend" (turns around and goes nuts--- beats the bad guy), most of the messages are actually this bold so we react as planned. (more so than normal movies)

about 6 years ago anime was taken off of the shelf because it had never really been reviewed, they were shocked to find really graphic stuff and banned alot of the best, there slowly coming back onto the shelves but the selection is... grim, to say the least

If you say that you really don't like anime, you obviously know nothing about it, havn't seen any good anime (Akira--- wow, most humans and their pets have probably watched this and did they understand it, not really, it is great but it's like the star wars of anime, titled one of the best, so it's an obvious watch. Don't base your opinion on fucking CNX or toonami, it's exploiting anime to the max (making more fans but there like little newbies and piss me off)

To experience true manga/anime, 'feature length', I couldn't stress this enough.

I'm not a big fan of it myself... what I don't get is the mania that seems to be present in most anime fans...

Studio Ghibli make some of the finest feature films in the world. The fact that their animated does not draw them back one bit. Actually the skill in creating/planning animation of such quality makes them so much more magical.
According to www.imdb.com in the trivia section for Princess Mononoke, "Director Hayao Miyazaki personally corrected or redrew more than 80,000 of the film's 144,000 animation cels."

Anyone can easily gain appreciation for japanese animation through exquisite films like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away & Grave of The Fireflies.

atlas said:
perfect blue? come on, thats not really well written, and sicne its not drawn, I think I'd rather just watch silence or the lambs, or a law and order, or something

(do'nt know why I picked those)

what do you mean by "it's not drawn"?

Last edited:
oh, okay.

I really enjoy Perfect Blue's story and animation. I especially love the way each shot is put together, as the end of some shots are very similar to the beginning of others.

There is a Miyazaki Showcase happening this year in all major cities in Aus.
For info click here
I can hardly wait.

Last edited:
for some other anime that's not cartoonish, try some Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and The Animatrix.....all quality IMO.

Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and the Studio Ghibli stuff... yeah, those are pretty good.

But frankly, I think most Anime is self-indulgent crap. And that goes doubly for Akira. Second-worst DVD purchase I've made.

Jin-Roh! :D

Hell yeah Anime is self-indulgent! If it weren't for Robotech/Macross, I might not have loved Anime at all.

So you guys don't like it...and I can totally understand why. I just love planes that transform into robots and blow a lot of shit up. =D

I really agree with left to right that "grave of the fireflies" is one of those feature-films (repeat: feature-films ) that turns many misconceptions about japanime upside down. it's an intelligent, beautiful film which evokes real emotion. but hey, whatever, lets all go watch hollywood make another pearl harbor instead. 8(

"Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence" is the first animated film ever to be short listed for the Golden Palm (Best Film) at the Cannes Film Festival this year.

Movies never make me cry. "Grave of the Fireflies" brought tears to my eyes when I first saw it 2 months ago.

I can't wait for Ghost in the Shell 2. I think its gonna be a sunglasses heroic dose at the theater kind of movie

If you watch "Grave of the Fireflies" and don't at least feel like crying you have no soul.