MAPS Hypothetical patent for MDMA-like compound

M2413

Greenlighter
Lets say someone happened to find a novel compound with effects almost exactly like MDMA. Contrary to MDMA this compound could be patented. What do you think would happen? Would one of the huge pharma companies develop a the drug as a therapy assistance tool against for example PTSD?

It would likely be patented, and it would likely be scheduled almost immediately in most western nations. The prevailing political practice of outlawing drugs based on their potential capacity to intoxicate, regardless of potential therapeutic capacities, makes it pretty inevitable at this point.

Lets say someone happened to find a novel compound with effects almost exactly like MDMA. Contrary to MDMA this compound could be patented. What do you think would happen? Would one of the huge pharma companies develop a the drug as a therapy assistance tool against for example PTSD?

I'm sure there is very little to be discovered after PHIKAL. This is pretty much irrelevant , sure some alkaloids have Cathinone like effects, good luck putting a patent on that, and it would not be simple there is about 1 billion USD that would go into that patent dont get your hopes up, before discussing PTSD here I would like to know what you actually know about the syndrome. Cathinone class drugs have about a decade ahead of them before a doctor will properly administer a treatment.

I wouldn't say little remains to be discovered post PiHKAL. The APBs, APDBs, MAPBs, EAPBs, & the putative MAPDBs were all post Shulgin, as well as the amino indanes & aminotetralins. A number of those may well have potential therapeutic utility.

And w/r/t the OP, no large corporation is gonna dump a bunch of R&D money into a medicine that's used 1-4x per year per patient. It just doesn't make economic sense.

That would be awsome if there was something like that.

Reminds me a lot of spice products and how the JWH-018 was able to consistenly differ from law restrictions.

MDMA aside, if something like that DID get patented, I bet the positives would overwhelm attempts to criminalize it.

I wouldn't say little remains to be discovered post PiHKAL. The APBs, APDBs, MAPBs, EAPBs, & the putative MAPDBs were all post Shulgin, as well as the amino indanes & aminotetralins. A number of those may well have potential therapeutic utility.

And w/r/t the OP, no large corporation is gonna dump a bunch of R&D money into a medicine that's used 1-4x per year per patient. It just doesn't make economic sense.

There are all sorts of things like plastic surgery, every two-month therapy sessions, dentistry or physical therapy meetings that have a lot of time and space between them.

Its not such an unrealistic stretch to have companies fund four times a year sessions imo.

Its just like vitamin b12 shots, or a month of an anti-psychotic like Zyprexa; they are prescribed as needed

I think that the amount of known novel psychoactive substances will only increase. To be honest I could see it triple within the next 10 years.

It would be interesting to see a new compound with mdma like effects. It seems like a lot of the psychedelic science being conducted is taking a more grassroots approach, though, so wouldn't it be more difficult for a "Big pharma" corporation to promote their product? Plus there is abuse potential, unless the new compound somehow swerved around that. Imagine walking into a psychiatrist office and seeing this though:
NSFW:

tripzine_mdma_poster_lg_95105.jpg

I think that the amount of known novel psychoactive substances will only increase. To be honest I could see it triple within the next 10 years.

It would be interesting to see a new compound with mdma like effects. It seems like a lot of the psychedelic science being conducted is taking a more grassroots approach, though, so wouldn't it be more difficult for a "Big pharma" corporation to promote their product? Plus there is abuse potential, unless the new compound somehow swerved around that. Imagine walking into a psychiatrist office and seeing this though:
NSFW:

tripzine_mdma_poster_lg_95105.jpg

If you've ever seen Monterey Pop Festival, there's a clip of an LSD safety poster out in the open. I glanced at it and couldn't find it. Reminded me a LOT of what you just posted though. Maybe not that unrealistic after all...?