• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How would you gage your best talents?

Well, I'm 40 and last year was the year I decided to finally do it. I had been doing it a little. I did 6 months onsite development/consulting and then 6 months freelancing. Not sure what finally made me snap, because the last real job I had I left on a good note and really liked the gig. What I hated was all the politics. Even when I was 16 I told myself that I wanted to work for myself.

I struggled hard and I thought I wasn't going to make it, but it was well worth the year of being scared to death of failing. Now, I work about 4 hours a day (not counting the customer support I do) and I'm getting to a point where I need to scale with possibly hiring someone to join my team (my team being a team of 1 lol).

I'm by no means a genius, but I did have determination and banked on a skill set that I developed for years in the standard 9-5. Oddly enough, I think my job hopping helped a lot. I think that old school mentality of working for 1 guy for years is a bad way for an employee to think. The more I job hopped, the more knowledge I gained. I've seen developers in a dead end job that they didn't want to give up because it was "safe" but they had worked there so long that their skills weren't marketable anymore. They were working with technology that's 15 years old.

Very nice to see these posts, they really drive the point. Breakthrough almost you could say.

Have you considered working for a temp agency? I think that'll be a cool way to explore different jobs.

Have you considered working for a temp agency? I think that'll be a cool way to explore different jobs.

My problem is I live on the coast of washington and I have very limited job opportunities :( I really want to go to college Ive figured now since the whole thread. I was trying to be an entrepreneur of sorts, but I cant figure anything out that dont take money lol... so much for freedom. I would be interested in science based jobs or something similar, but dont know how to get a job let alone a good temp.