• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How to safely use benzos to help with suboxone withdrawal

CoryJ6

Greenlighter
This is my first thread/post on this site, and I?m sure his has been discussed before, but please bear with me.

Quick history- I?ve been addicted to subs (bupe) for approximately a year (anywhere from 4-6 8mg strips per week). Daily, I would take anywhere from 2 to 8mg (it all just depended how much I had to get me through the week). I was never prescribed, but had a dealer. My last doses were about 2mg per day for 2-3 days before I decided to quit cold turkey. I?m now on day 7 of detox. My physical withdrawal symptoms were probably worst days 2-4, but I feel decent today. I?ve been exercising twice daily since day 3 (was very difficult to drag myself to do this at first) and started making fruit/veggie smoothies and taking amino acids and a multivitamin each day. I?ve also been pounding water and was able to start eating at day 3.

Anyway. at day 2 of detox, I came upon 10 1mg clonazepam from a buddy. I?ve read that they really help with the insomnia associated with opiate withdrawal. I?ve taken clonazepam rarely in the past and didn?t really care for them, but I have been taking a 1mg pill each night for the past 4 or 5 days just so I can get past the RLS/insomnia and get at least 4-5 hours of sleep. I?ll tell you, it?s really helping. Side note: I don?t take them AT ALL during the day. This is where I become concerned. How long do you think I can take this nightly dose of clonazepam before I become dependent on it? I?ve read in some places on the internet you shouldn?t go more than a week or 2 on them, other places have said only a few days. I just don?t want to get addicted to benzos. I?ve read about the absolute HELL that is benzo withdrawal. They are helping me sleep though, so it?s REALLY helping me through withdrawal. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
stop the clonazepam. I was gonna recommend 4 days max. But youve already used 4 days. I know its tough man, I had a similar issue trying to get off sub and was relying on xanax to sleep. You dont want a benzo addiction. Definitely start with some exercise. Then maybe Doxylamine or a different sleep aid. I wish I was more help but I know I am facing this exact same issue when I come off kratom and know nothing really works....

Thanks for the reply. I mean, I don’t like actually ENJOY being on benzos, never really have.. It just REALLY helps with the sleep, but I see what you’re saying. Probably not a good idea to go any longer on them. That just sucks because they are helping tremendously :\

Ahhh... That’s the answer I was looking for.. hahah.. but seriously tho, thanks. That makes sense. I really don’t like benzos recreationally.. they just knock me out. I don’t think I’ll have a problem developing an addiction to them because of this. Plus, I’m only taking 1mgmax each night. Thanks for the awesome sources too. I really appreciate it!

If you keep it to 1mg per night during your post-withdrawal blues, you should be fine. Just don't escalate the dose.

And in fact, try half that and see if it still puts you out.

One thing to watch out for after you've quit an addiction is the need to "knock yourself out". Because really, you might fall asleep in fifteen minutes if you just close your eyes and wait for it. But there's that weird emotional need to really get punched in the head before going to bed--or at least there was for me.

It's how I got started chewing diphenhydramine at night. Like it had been so long since a sober bedtime routine, brush your teeth and say your prayers, I didn't how to do it anymore.

So the benzos and comfort drugs might be just that--more placebo than actual medical need.