• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to block dopamine receptor from up-regulation?

Teerayoot

Greenlighter
Some drugs up dopamine receptor as it side effect and very sensitive to dopamine
,how to block it ,antagonist ?

if you are worried about up regulation, you probably don't want to take an anti-psychotic; down regulation is most people's concern but if up regulation is yours, you should probably just stop taking whatever drug is up regulating your DA receptors, DA antagonists like anti psychotics do this. AFAIK there's no way to block up regulation, unless you're causing down regulation on purpose, like getting high on speed or something.

You can't.
^^^

If you're prescribed antipsychotics for a schizophrenia-like disorder, please do not stop taking them without consulting your psychiatrist. It may be a good idea to switch to another drug if you are concerned about the side effects of your medication, but nobody here can tell you for sure.

^^^^^
And taking speed or a direct DA agonist HAS to be counterproductive to whatever medical regimen you're on.
Ummm...I think we're done here, but people are welcome to prove me wrong with some insightfully situated evidence.

ebola

Last edited:
They are right, the most your can do is block it which is simple, like robbot mentioned, an anti-psychotic. More specifically the first generation atypical anti-psychotics like haldol--no longer made in the U.S. Other close options are zyprexa, remeron, but those are just antagonists. Because in the old days psychosis was thought to come from an overload of D1 and D2.

Mirtazapine lacks dopaminergic effects entirely.

ebola

Could this mean that tolerance to stimulants could be mitigated by up regulation caused by regular daily use of AD's such as Seroquel?

^^^

If you're prescribed antipsychotics for a schizophrenia-like disorder, please do not stop taking them without consulting your psychiatrist. It may be a good idea to switch to another drug if you are concerned about the side effects of your medication, but nobody here can tell you for sure.

Worse decision I ever made was to stop taking my meds without the go-ahead of my doctor. I had a manic episode that lasted nearly 3 days. So yes, I second this.

Mirtazapine lacks dopaminergic effects entirely.

ebola

I think I remember reading somewhere that; It's believed that agonization of 5-HT1a has indirect dopaminergic effects.

Otherwise, yes. Mirtazapine has no direct effects on Dopamine.

Last edited: