• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How much is an American Ph.D 'worth' in Canada?

blase deviant

Bluelighter
Is it accepted? It is considered just as good as a canadian Ph.D. or will someone who got their Ph.D in Canada beat you out for the job, if all other things are equal?

Yeah I live in Detroit and goto Wayne State, so we get tons of border jumpers. The degree is just as valid there as it is here, or none of these kids would be coming over to get them.

x2stpsfrmnowhere said:
Yeah I live in Detroit and goto Wayne State, so we get tons of border jumpers. The degree is just as valid there as it is here, or none of these kids would be coming over to get them.

Canadians come over to the US to get degrees?

Is it just out of convenience, or is it more prestigious?

that depends on the university of course; a phd from the US ivy league is generally more prestigious (especially internationally) than anything any university in canada can offer'

then again, if you go to some shitty US provincial college, it's certainly not going to be more prestigious than a good canadian university

Except that for many graduate programs the PROGRAM and the prestige of the PROFESSOR matter more than the school as a whole, at least when you get beyond the ivies...some people would choose to cross the border (either way) to work with a specific person that studied what they wanted to specialize in.

Yes, you can get a job in either place with the PhD, but in some areas (like in academia) there is somewhat of a push for the hiring of Canadian citizens over U.S. citizens in Canada when all other things are equal.

So basically it's better to get a good job and establish myself through research via connects with the professors I met during college, and then move to Canada once I have a padded resume and some research published?

^^IMHO, sounds about right blase deviant

but ...keep looking for your opportunity and you might lucky

networking and getting your foot in the door always helps the cause

best wishes