• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long does it REALLY take to become physically dependent on Hydrocodone?

Dreyvn

Greenlighter
Hi all, im new here and this is my first post. Ive search here and google for a simple straightforward answer to this but have come up empty handed. I know this is different for everyone but there has to be some sort of baseline out there. I currently take 15mg of hydro at night (3x norco 5/325) when im just relaxing, watching tv, etc... it gets me pretty fucked up. I currently have a prescription for these due to a recent back surgery. I do not plan on buying or using daily once these are gone, but i figure while i have them, what the hell why not have some fun? My question is how long does it really take to end up experiencing withdrawal symptoms? is 15mg in one sitting per day enough to lead to a serious addiction problem? I enjoy the high, but i dont sit around all day thinking obsessing about it or craving it. For me its just a bit of fun at the moment. I am well versed in the dangers of opiates as my best friend died of an oxycontin OD. He was shooting up. Sorry if this has been asked before, i did search and could find nothing specific about how long before addiction sets in or what to expect as far as withdrawals when i run out. Thanks

Taking 15mg once a day can lead to addiction and withdrawal upon stopping. How long this takes varies person to person and it's going to depend on your opioid usage history.

The withdrawal from 15mg daily won't be too severe but withdrawal is still awful even when minor.

If you don't want to risk physical dependence you need to stop regular daily dosing.

I enjoy the high, but i dont sit around all day thinking obsessing about it or craving it.

You may want to take a break before making these kinds of self assessment. Dont use any for several days or for a week or more and then see how you feel.

^^ This.

He nailed it. I want to add that taking a drug such as this for the ?feeling? will speed up tolerance and dependence.

I suggest that you read some of the bad stories that people post about opiate dependence and addiction.

I am in no way suggesting you will develop an addiction to this drug, but if I were you, I would learn how this drug works and how easy tolerance can develop.

Please do your research before making a habit out of use.

You'll more likely have a comedown or rebound effect more than withdrawal. Similar just not as severe. It's pretty much impossible to say when dependency develops. It just does

Hi all, im new here and this is my first post. Ive search here and google for a simple straightforward answer to this but have come up empty handed. I know this is different for everyone but there has to be some sort of baseline out there. I currently take 15mg of hydro at night (3x norco 5/325) when im just relaxing, watching tv, etc... it gets me pretty fucked up. I currently have a prescription for these due to a recent back surgery. I do not plan on buying or using daily once these are gone, but i figure while i have them, what the hell why not have some fun? My question is how long does it really take to end up experiencing withdrawal symptoms? is 15mg in one sitting per day enough to lead to a serious addiction problem? I enjoy the high, but i dont sit around all day thinking obsessing about it or craving it. For me its just a bit of fun at the moment. I am well versed in the dangers of opiates as my best friend died of an oxycontin OD. He was shooting up. Sorry if this has been asked before, i did search and could find nothing specific about how long before addiction sets in or what to expect as far as withdrawals when i run out. Thanks

Let me put it to you straight. Stop taking it. Or at least stop taking it everyday. I?ve been an abuser of pills for many years, starting out just like you said how it?s just a bit of fun at the moment. I?ve used for years straight and gone through cold turkey WD hell many times, and also just recently used for about 2 weeks anywhere from 40-80mg a day of hyrdro and have had minor WD?s the last 3 days. Have I learned my lesson? Obviously not but that?s my point. You will get to where I am before you know it if you don?t stop now.

You'll more likely have a comedown or rebound effect more than withdrawal. Similar just not as severe. It's pretty much impossible to say when dependency develops. It just does

Agreed. It sounds like this is a more likely outcome than a full blown dependence based on what you've described.

I'll also agree with others and reiterate that physical dependency is only part (and I'd argue not the biggest part) of opioid addiction. The psychological and emotional entanglements that opioids raise can be really hard to shake, and they can come up quickly and subtly. So many folks (myself included, oh so many years ago) post questions on BL about avoiding WDs...personally, I became deeply addicted to heroin well before I ever developed a physical habit. The habit came soon enough, but not before I lost control of my using.

OP, my advice would be to put the pills away for now, to the extent your pain lets you...if you want to do them recreationally, it would be much better from an addiction standpoint to sock them away for a once-in-a-blue-moon special occasion type deal, as opposed to doing them daily.

Good luck <3

15 mg a day, may take a couple weeks of doing it to develop a real dependence. Upon stopping you can expect: inability to sleep for a few days, inability to sit still/work or be productive, irritability. Not a full blown withdrawal but still not fun.

If you've had back surgery i would save the pills for when you are in pain. I've been through back surgery also, the pain got a lot worse at the 3 month mark and didn't stop till 7 months post surgery.

You never know when the pain will blow up, I would save the pills for when you really need them for pain, easier said than done, but real pain is the only thing that has ever forced me to not abuse my opiate stash.

It's pretty much impossible to say when dependency develops. It just does

Yup!

Worse - it comes quicker every time. The last time I was "clean" completely for over a month I suffered 3-4 days of WD from a single bloody shot!

And that was years ago now :(

It depends on where one is at in the course of their opioid use history. At the beginning, it can take a while to develop a full blown dependency.

But after one has developed enough tolerance/dependency, then it becomes a lot easier to develop tolerance/dependency.

How long it might take is entirely down to individual factors imo

.... about how long before addiction sets in or what to expect as far as withdrawals when i run out. Thanks
All the answers are posted.
Ask pharm and they may say there is no chance of becoming addicted or developing a dependence.
Ask a junkie (like me) and others that have experience and the answer (from my point of view) could be 1 "hit" or the regular 3 days of moderate usage of moderately good meds before one may encounter any "debilitating" withdrawals upon cessation.
Don't get stuck on figuring out how far to the edge one should go and what happens when one falls off. Only time and experience will tell.
If at all possible: Use as needed.
One love