• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long after oxycodone should I wait to use a sedative/Z-drug?

TheJuner

Bluelighter
I’ve dosed 10mg of oxycodone twice during the day, and am coming down from my second dose as of now. I would like to use Zolpidem this evening, how long should I wait to safely take the Zolpidem? Should I expect dangerous respiratory depression if I were to take it now?

Hey there @TheJuner

Safety is always a great foundation when taking any drugs. With that being said, the reality of this situation is that it would be extremely unlikely for what you are describing to produce any kind of severe complication. Most people who overdose and die from stuff like respiratory depression are often poly-substance users and/or are using street Opioids like Fentanyl.

The only way I could see this being a serious issue would be for someone with a uncharacteristically strong reaction to these drugs based upon stuff like genetics, enzyme activity and so on. As I assume you have used both of these substances previously and have reacted in a normal way, then the dosages/timeframe that you are describing should not be a problem at all.

To give you the full picture, the worst way I could see this going is perhaps you taking your Zolpidem (Ambien) and passing out on the couch before you make it to bed and maybe waking up with some drool on your chin.

Good for you for doing the right thing and asking the question. If these dosages change or your situation changes in any way and you would like further advice, you know where to find us!

Hey there @TheJuner

Safety is always a great foundation when taking any drugs. With that being said, the reality of this situation is that it would be extremely unlikely for what you are describing to produce any kind of severe complication. Most people who overdose and die from stuff like respiratory depression are often poly-substance users and/or are using street Opioids like Fentanyl.

The only way I could see this being a serious issue would be for someone with a uncharacteristically strong reaction to these drugs based upon stuff like genetics, enzyme activity and so on. As I assume you have used both of these substances previously and have reacted in a normal way, then the dosages/timeframe that you are describing should not be a problem at all.

To give you the full picture, the worst way I could see this going is perhaps you taking your Zolpidem (Ambien) and passing out on the couch before you make it to bed and maybe waking up with some drool on your chin.

Good for you for doing the right thing and asking the question. If these dosages change or your situation changes in any way and you would like further advice, you know where to find us!
Hey sorry for the late response, but thank you for this. I now realize that the respiratory depression produced by oxycodone is directly related to its mechanism of action, so the respiratory depression doesn’t really persist after it wears off or after an opioid antagonist like naloxone is administered.