• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long after lorezepam withdrawals can I drink alcohol?

ryskunk

Greenlighter
Hello. Around March 10 of this year I ended up in ER a couple of times for chest pain in which each time I was prescribed lorezepam after doctors kept saying it's nothing but anxiety. I probably consumed around 30-35 mg worth from that date until I quit cold turkey on April 20th(about 19 days clean from lorezepam now). Unable to tell whether I've been having WDs or just original chest pain and head sensations I went to doctor for. I wish to consume alcohol but have heard alcohol acting on GABA receptors would cause rebound withdrawals of the lorezepam. Am I in the clear tonight? Will I ever be in the clear to drink alcohol normally?

I honestly dont even know if I even got a physical dependence on the benzos as the weird pains Ive been having could just be related to to the original condition that got me in hospital. I have yet to have a seizure since stopping cold turkey 19 days ago. Im not an alcoholic but I did drink frequently before Mar 10 before I was sent to hospital first time while at work for chest pains. Ive always had anxiety but have refused benzos for years so rather confused and new to this drug. Im more of an alcohol and occasional pot and opiate person, never mix pills with alcohol. Am a light weight as well. Any help would be appreciated.

If you used it for about 30 days and you've stopped for 19, you should be pretty much fine. Withdrawal from lorazepam usually starts the day you stop and is over in about a week or less in your kind of case, not that you would have felt anything too bad with a total of 30-35 mg

Ativan (lorezepam) is more of a medium to higher strength benzo, however highly addictive. If you are 19 days clean and didn't feel WD from a 40 day "bender" consider yourself lucky. You may have had WD symptoms, but being naive to benzo WD you might not have known that's what you were experiencing. But 19 days from your last dose and you are functioning relatively well, IME you are good.
As far as drinking, everyone's body reacts differently to post-withdrawals... let's just say it won't kill you to drink.. I came off a 4 year Xanax addiction and I am able to drink, however it does trigger a tiny bit of Paresthesia (a symptom of post acute withdrawals from long term benzo dependency). It doesn't kill me, it's just a bit uncomfortable.
Stay safe!

It sounds like anxiety. I used to have crushing chest pain, uncontrollable full body shaking, numbness and tingling everywhere, sweating, migraines, shortness of breath. It got so bad that I ended up sleeping in my truck in the ER parking lot because whenever I'd wake up it felt like I was having a heart attack. After a battery of tests from multiple doctors over a 2 year period who all concluded anxiety I got the help I needed with a therapist. This is what I'd suggest you do.

To your original question, you shouldn't drink any alcohol until your anxiety is better managed and you're not experiencing benzo wds. Alcohol can be a huge anxiety trigger.

But it's weird. Even on lorezepam I'd still have the pain which is why I said fuck the pills. I'd be be high as kite on anti anxiety meds and nothing. Would mentally feel calm but still have pain. I've had CT scans, blood work, EKG and all negative. I will say though it's weird how I do hate the idea of being unable to ever drink again.

I'm not even sure if I had Benzo withdrawals or if the discomfort was the same pain they were throwing benzos at me for. Confusing and annoying. Just wanna get back to my drinking and pot smoking self. I wanna get back to work and get life back but I don't wanna take any long term psychiatric meds that's are physically dependent. Not me.

If pot and a couple drinks works better I wouldnt bother trying to use benzos for pain id say its less effective and possibly more addictive