• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How concerned about health affects should I be?

cletusSamboy

Bluelighter
I've read amp and meth are both cardiotoxic and meth is extremely neurotoxic (amp is said to be not neurotoxic but some argue it is slightly less neurotoxic than meth) but so far I have ignored the dangers associated with these health affects for numerous reasons stated below.

1. my doses (10-50mg) would be considered low to moderate among addicts and still well within what doctors prescribe so I assume this level of use is low risk.

2. Usage is spaced out (few times a month, never binging). This gives my body time enough to recover from the noticeable neurotoxic affects of meth (anxiety/depression/loss of pleasure, brain fog, disturbed memory retrieval) that occur after using. These symptoms clear up in 3/4 days of non use so I assume the neurotoxicity at this level is nothing the body can't deal with.

3. Amp is given to kids and has been used for decades and is generally regarded as safe. Despite being known to be cardiotoxic and increases overall risk of cardio related issues (and is quite possibly neurotoxic) most people are generally happy and healthy even after long periods of daily use (if used at prescribed doses of course). Meth is a prescribed med and is known to be neurotoxic but the level of neurotoxicity goes up with dosage so I assume neurotoxicity is a major concern only for people frequently using high recreational doses?

4. As for the cardiotoxicity I assume it's no big deal unless I've got pre existing heart issues like arrythmias, have high blood pressure, work out while using, or I'm pushing the dose high keeping my heart rate real high and repeat this often I assume I'm generally good to go if it's occasionally.

Am I just uneducated and am missing a lot of known dangers (especially about meth use) and or you think I'm just playing down the dangers just to feel comfortable using?

At lower doses meth is found to be neurogenic, the poison is in the dosage. That said, I’m beginning to be a believer in the whole “meth has changed” thing. There’s the potential for toxic impurities.

If it were me, I’d keep doses 20mg or under. No more than twice a month. But of course there’s no hard and fast rule with these things. You just have to listen to your body and mind.

Neurotoxicity with meth effects the serotonin system I know, so look for sudden emotional outbursts/anger, insomnia, body temperature irregularities and other symptoms of serotonin deficiency.

-GC

At lower doses meth is found to be neurogenic, the poison is in the dosage. That said, I’m beginning to be a believer in the whole “meth has changed” thing. There’s the potential for toxic impurities.

If it were me, I’d keep doses 20mg or under. No more than twice a month. But of course there’s no hard and fast rule with these things. You just have to listen to your body and mind.

Neurotoxicity with meth effects the serotonin system I know, so look for sudden emotional outbursts/anger, insomnia, body temperature irregularities and other symptoms of serotonin deficiency.

-GC
I believe meth has changed in that it is more common to get much higher purity product and the d-meth variety.
Does meth only release serotonin at higher doses? I've noticed the serotonergic effect at higher doses like 50mg smoked and it taking on a sort of mdma-ish feel to it hours later.