• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how addictive is meth?

DrunkardsDream

Ex-Bluelighter
I'm not sure if this should be here or in the dark side. If it's more suited for TDS please move it.

Long story short a friend of mine who was into using meth every once in awhile got into it heavily after he ended a relationship. He claims that he only uses it on the weekends but he's probably lying since I've talked to him during the week and he was tweaking then that night and then again the next night. I'm not sure if he was still high from the night before or if he'd just smoked more?

Is he addicted? How addictive is meth? I've seen on anti-drug sites how if you use meth say maybe a few times or sometimes even once how you'll easily become addicted to it. I have never used crystal and I don't want to.

I'm not lending him any money and he's an adult so I'm not going to badger him and tell him how he has to go to rehab.

im no expert but i have some family members who have been heavily into harder drugs. example: meth, coke, heroin, and anything else they could get their hands on... IMO meth isnt something to be fucked with. it may be lots of fun but by far one of the most addictive substances out there

probably one of the most addictive substances their is alongside nicotine and benzos

Luckily I had a life-threatening OD on it so I stopped that very day on my own CT, but it doesn't take much longer than a couple months on it to become highly psychologically dependent on it, especially if you start using it to assist all your daily activities, then you're in real trouble. When it's suddenly gone you think you are worthless without it for quite some time. There isn't too bad of a withdrawal as withdrawals go but psychologically, wow, I would be surprised if anyone can use it recreationally for long. Even when I was in a psychosis and my depth perception was gone and I was bumping into other cars and was aware of how bad a way I was in, I still was picking up more. It robbed all my talents and hobbies and desires and turned me into a psycho anti-social paranoid shut-in within 6 months of starting line.

Let me put it this way, EXTREMELY ADDICTING.

Sure, at one point maybe he was a weekend warrior. Eventually it overcomes you and everyday feels like the weekend.

Don't lend him any money, thats so obvious I probably didn't even need to mention it.

Meth does last a while, but it is more likely he was binging if he is telling the truth about not using constantly. Binging for a few days is very common with amphetamine use.

Mentaly very addictive if used a lot,but physically not addictive like heroin or anything.I used since 1995 and got out of hand on speed for a while but I have been able to go for long period swithout using it,but thats more the exeption than the rule,,but I also was hardcore addcited to opiates for 5 years and compared to them,meth is nothing physically addiction wise, and for me the mental craving were as bad with opiates as with meth.Worst thing I had to do when running out of meth(which rarely happened) was lay down and sleep off and on for a few days...unlike opiates were I was vomiting,cramping up in my legs,body,,hurting all over,could not sleep,etc...

Meth is addicting but I don't think it's as addicting as some organizations would like you to think. I've seen PSAs that claim the first time you try meth there is a 50% chance that you will become addicted right then. Personally I don't find it addictive. I've taken it orally twice and don't really plan on doing it again. It was fun but meth isn't something I want to do. If he's smoking meth regularly its safe to assume he's addicted.

Meth is OVERWHELMINGLY addictive! You'd kill your own mother to get high if you had to. DO NOT TOUCH IT! It also causes irreversible damage to the brain's pleasure centers, making you chronically depressed afterwards, unable to feel "happy."

It's not lookin' like too nice of a drug, now, is it?

On Meth: =D

After Meth: :(:|

Its very addictive in the sense of the cravings, they are very strong. However, I could never be addicted to it. After a couple of days it begins to feel gross, for me anyway. Once I'm on it for so long I miss feeling sober, I miss feeling tired and hungry and will stop using even if I have some. I have had a point on me for the last 5 days without using it. I love meth, but I have never understood how people could use it daily. Where's the excitement in that?

I personally think it depends on the availability of the drug itself.

If a guy was using meth regularly and the one and only dealer he knew had gotten arrested, I believe his meth addiction would have been substituted to another stimuli in which is available.

Dose that still classify as a meth addiction? Or is it the addiction to drugs in general.

IME Up around the 3rd day of using there is no rushing just keeps you awake. Then have to take a 2 day break

On Meth: =D

After Meth: :(:|
The same seems to hold true for the regular amphetamines such as the amp salt combo Adderall I am sad to say.

I love meth, but I have never understood how people could use it daily. Where's the excitement in that?

There is excitement in daily use... as well as psychosis, paranoia, brain damage, and meth mouth. That doesn't sound exciting to you? Addiction is not logical, it's a horrible gluttonous beast, and a cross to bear for those afflicted. It sounds like you may be one of the lucky people with no genetic predisposition to addictive behavior.

IME Up around the 3rd day of using there is no rushing just keeps you awake. Then have to take a 2 day break

Psh the 4th day is when you get the best rush. Just stay somewhere where people will say your name a lot, that adrenaline will be pumpinnn. Also if there are any dark areas play the run from the killer shadow game.

In all seriousness though avoid the 4th day haha, trying to sleep afterwards with all the spasms is terrible.

Only you can answer that question. IME, a drug is only as addictive as the user allows said substance to be. Look at yourself in the mirror--do you have any sort of addictive personality? What's your relationship with the food you like? Music? People? Are you the sort of person who goes back for seconds even when they are full? Listen to a song over and over until you've killed it?

If the answer is yes, substances with abuse potential (and even those without) may not be for you. Despite the number of posts in this thread which scream: "STAY AWAY," I hold to the fact that addictive substances can be used with respect and care. I know I've done it, continue to do it, and will do so in the future. No one's holding a gun to your head.

Be smart and be safe. Don't buy more than necessary for a night of fun--having extra material around is dangerous. Know your own limits and separate yourself when the experience is over.

The same seems to hold true for the regular amphetamines such as the amp salt combo Adderall I am sad to say.

There is excitement in daily use... as well as psychosis, paranoia, brain damage, and meth mouth. That doesn't sound exciting to you? Addiction is not logical, it's a horrible gluttonous beast, and a cross to bear for those afflicted. It sounds like you may be one of the lucky people with no genetic predisposition to addictive behavior.

Its more like I have a neuro-limit I can't pass, even if I want to. After a certain period of time I no longer get positive effects from drugs. E its 5 hours, coke its 12 ( if its really, really pure) damp about 24, meth its 48.

After that I could do any amount of those drugs I mentioned I wanted to and I wouldn't get any effect other than anxiety, anger, cramps and a cold chill. I've wondering if I naturally have a low dopamine backup store or something. I am not a depressed person either though...

Just curious, since I've read on other posts of yours that you used to be deep into the meth use. After a week (or longer) of straight use, would you actually still feel an enjoyable rush? weren't the side effects much worse than the euphoria at that point?

Only you can answer that question. IME, a drug is only as addictive as the user allows said substance to be. Look at yourself in the mirror--do you have any sort of addictive personality? What's your relationship with the food you like? Music? People? Are you the sort of person who goes back for seconds even when they are full? Listen to a song over and over until you've killed it?

If the answer is yes, substances with abuse potential (and even those without) may not be for you. Despite the number of posts in this thread which scream: "STAY AWAY," I hold to the fact that addictive substances can be used with respect and care. I know I've done it, continue to do it, and will do so in the future. No one's holding a gun to your head.

Be smart and be safe. Don't buy more than necessary for a night of fun--having extra material around is dangerous. Know your own limits and separate yourself when the experience is over.

Excellent post & I agree 100%

It's not going to get you hooked the first time you do it .

People usually get addicted because of other factors like for the drug taking away depression, coping with work , social reasons , etc.

If you have no reason to do it again you prolly won't .

But in your friends case , he is doing meth to cope with his relationship problems .