• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Home detoxing with sub's

Chinacatsunflower9

Greenlighter
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site as well as trying to achieve sobriety. I've been using drugs and alcohol for ten years now. The last seven I've been addicted to heroin(IV) and crack(smoke). I'm now injecting at least 3gs a day and smoking up to two eight balls day. I've gotten into some legal trouble recently. That's what has pushed me to this decision. Since this last April I've been to rehab twice for a combined total of 40 days, jail for 35 days and a long term where I lasted a couple weeks before leaving. I'm expecting a warrant to be ordered for my arrest soon so I really need to just stop this cycle and detox myself. I planned on using a suboxone taper I have 3 8mg strips right now and it's just a matter of actually switching over and stopping. I'm the worst procrastinator but my living situation is going to leave me homeless at the end of August so I'm definitely running out of time. I'd like to admit myself to a 30 day program again after I detox, I'm also considering an out of state program. Out of state would be ideal. Im going to an outpatient clinic tomorrow to talk with them. I'm not big on facility detoxes so I'd like to take care of that part on my time. Another question... Can the police come and arrest me if I'm partaking in a inpatient program?.... I guess I'm just looking for any advice or support anybody is willing to offer me...

i mean i wish you all the luck in the world but home detoxes never worked for me...tried probably over 100 times! took 8 months of inpatient to get me off dope and coke.....

I on the other hand, have had incredible results from rapid bupe tapers.
I've done them before with what you have - 3x8mg strips.
Having said that - i wasn't using 3g of smack per day - so your mileage may definitely vary...

Just start on the lowest dose that will hold you out of WD (remember, its not about feeling "good" or "high" - just "well" enough to function) and each day or time you take another dose, keep making it smaller.

I've jumped off at tiny doses i've tapered down to (less than 0.2mg of bupe) and felt barely any wd at all.
I maybe felt a little edgy, had some trouble sleeping for a week or something - but compared to full-blown withdrawals, it is virtually nothing. So much more tolerable.
If i was trying to cut back from a big habit like yours, i'd be inclined to go with the bupe taper anyway. Used right, it can be very useful for detoxing.

Yes, you have to be determined and committed - i'm not saying it's easy - but it can be done quite painlessly if you get it right.
In my experience, anyway.

Good luck! Personally i'd take a home detox over an inpatient one any day - but your circumstances sound pretty intense.
Even if it doesnt negate all the withdrawals, you're better off with a bit of bupe to taper with.

Afraid i don't know about your other questions enough to answer them - but wishing you all the best.
I hope you get things under control.

Last edited:
Yeah I know what you mean by not getting high but just getting by. When I was put away last time I was able to go away prepared but only with one 12 and it was still pretty bad but being locked up it makes it easier I think. Half the withdrawal is mental like I'll be able to get it this time if I want to so its going to take a lot of willpower, which I've never had a lot of lol. Its definitely with a heavy heart that I put everything down but I just know its not something I can do successfully anymore. I mean I had a good run, these are the first charges I've incurred in ten years of using so....I just want to be able to turn myself in and not have to go through the added hell of kicking a habit from the very beginning, ya know? If I need to get more sub's I'll be able to but that's good to know what I have is in the ballpark of what's needed anyway. The last two treatments I went to I went in with a great attitude I graduated the 30 day but when they put me bed to bed at the long term I was less than thrilled lol. I need to get out of the area I'm in to. Its to easy for me to get it around here. I know people say you can find it anywhere but I'm not one to seek it out on my own, Ive always had an introduction. I've got a lot of things to change in a very little amount of time...for sure...?

I also have a good amount of gabapentins which I really believe serve a good part in detox. Also I have clonidine and remron to help me sleep... None of these I am taking at the moment, saving them for the journey.

With a tolerance like that I found it difficult to just maintain on subs for the first week. I would be worried about PWD when inducting from a gram plus tolerance. It happened to me after waiting 24 hours. If you are using 3 grams of H per day like you say you might have to taper down before switching. Let us know how it goes. If you try and find yourself extremely sick don't give up. Instead you can taper down and try again.

I really need to keep the mind set that giving up is not an option. Come September I'll no longer be able to support my habit and Its time anyway. I've had a good run but its not fun anymore... Even shooting the amount that I do I might only fade out once a day for two hours tops every other time I bang its just maintenance so I can get dressed and brush my hair. I smoke crack nonstop from the moment I wake up until I force myself to sleep...the last two months I've started hallucinating shadow spiders and its not fun at all...I know they aren't real but I still have to check every shadow I see out the corners of my eye or tickle on my back and legs...I'm just slowly climbing down the cliff instead of leaping from it and nothing good is at the bottom... I realized today I've lost my sub's to haha so I have to pick up some more, hopefully soon. Being in the rehabs recently I have seen the other life and I lived...I don't know why I came back to this but I really regret it... I know I'm able to do it, its just a matter of applying this attitude during the process...

China -

You have all the tools needed to be successful. And you have such a great attitude about this!

Do you know when you will be making the jump yet? I know you mentioned you wanted to have it done by September. I'm just wondering when I should send you my good vibes (it's my version of praying for you and shit like that!).

- VE