• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

History of substance abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikesforlife

Bluelighter
Will a pain doctor be hesitant to prescribe oxycontin or vicodin if the patient tells them that they have abused certain drugs in the past? What about alcohol abuse?

I'm not sure about alcohol.

I got a *massive* oral morphine and Oxycontin script - even though my doctor knew about my past (at that time IV speed). I'm sure if I was a known H addict though, he would have been a lot tighter.

It really just does depend on the Doctor. Some will be understanding and know that people make mistakes and can be trusted and will be safe under their supervision. Others will be extremely hesitant and won't even prescribe you 8/500 Co-Codamols.

Also there's some Doctors who have double standards. My Dr. scripted my friend, a Heroin addict who is likely to have these problems for a great deal of his life, 25mg of Diazepam and 120mg of Dihydrocodeine a day but wouldn't even prescribe me the occasional 5mg Diazepam for panic attacks even though the only drug I had taken in excess at the time was Weed, which I had quit.

i had to find a diff doctor about 4 years ago, i was in highschool and just figured i should be completly honest with my doctor, so i went in as i usually do a couple times year ( they like to see you when they are prescribing adderall, my new doc does this tooo, i have to go in almost everythree months it sucks)

Well that was a naive idea b/c that bitch got all high an mighty, she tried to BS some story about what the consequences for her would be if i was arrested with weed in one pocked and adderal that she prescribed in the other, I had no intentin of selling it or diverting it but she completely passed judgment on me and refused to write any scripts so i looked at her kinda laughed (the way you do when your pissed) and i said you think your the only doctr in this town? (live in DFW over a couple million people in the whole area. Lots of Docs)
(on a side note in highschool, when this happened i had long ass hair w/beard and a longer chinhair part, i looked like a typical hippy/druggy, and maybe i was/am but i wasnt tryin to SCORE meds i need them for school)

I AM NOT SAYING DONT BE HONEST WITH YOUR DR. All im sayin is diff dr. react diff, after walkin out of her office i found someone immediatly who was down the street still close to my house who looked past my appearance and wrote me a script for my meds as i asked for. i was back in his office a month or so back and i was in the rooms they put you in to wait on the DR. (not the waiting room) and i was watchin price is right then jeopardy (yea they have TV's in those rooms its badass) he walked in and caught the showcase showdown then was their to see alittle of my jeopardy skills. and he said to me man you sure have changed. i said ya? and he said look at this picture of when you first came to my office i guess i dont remember takin one but i am sure i did, and man did i look like a hippy, little does he know that i really only cleaned up to maintain decent jobs and that i use more drugs now than i did then.

anyways im sure everyone has a story but i say be honest but be reasonable too dont just go in there and come on too strong with the drug isues shit but be subtle, maybe.

^ Why should a doctor risk her license with something like this? She's 100% right; the DEA would cause all kinds of problems if your illegal drug use was tied in with her scripting you ADD meds.

^ if his doctor is only prescribing one or two medications, at an industry average/"normal" dosage, with 2-3 montly refills and seeing the patient regularly for checkups, and is keeping good records that indicate the reasons for prescribing it (all things that she should be doing, anyway) she has no reason to fear the DEA and she knows that. They wouldn't cause any problems with her, just the idiot who got caught with weed in one pocket and pills in the other.

Now, if the same idiot got caught with copious amounts of controlled substances all prescribed from the same doctor, say, 4 different opiates and 3 anti-anxietants, then the DEA is gonna start asking the doctor questions. And they should in those cases.

Will a pain doctor be hesitant to prescribe oxycontin or vicodin if the patient tells them that they have abused certain drugs in the past? What about alcohol abuse?

Yes, It's their obligation to be...

Ill move this to Healthy Living...

I've been rxed 135 10mg dex a month for maybe 5 years now. About 3 years ago I told him I smoked weed. I played it down a bit, and was a huge stoner at the time. I still get questions about my weed consumption, when I told him I stopped smoking like 2 years ago. I can see where he is coming from though. He first put me on adderall, he had my bro on adderall and scripting me as his brother was not a huge jump. I requested changing to dexadrine about a year into it and he went along. By the way, this was the best idea EVER. Not even from an abuse standpoint, from an adhd standpoint. That medication agrees with me MUCH better than adderall.

Anyway, I guess I was getting cocky and tried to push my luck. I suggested we try Desoxyn. I don't know why I did it. I am not even that into uppers. I just wanted to try it I suppose. And who knows, maybe it WOULD work great with my 'condition'. He was all for it and at the last second he goes 'hold on' and busts out his PDR. Looks it up....... METHAMPHETIMINES?!?!?!?(he says). Do you know what this is? Do you not read the news? Our city has a huge meth problem, I can't write that.

Then he said something that caught me off guard. He said ' Ya know, if you just want something stronger you can do like one of my other patients does and take two 'bongs' of meth in the morning. He meant taking two hits off the glass dick. I was taken back abit. I am not a tweaker, and while I have hit the glass dick a time or two, it really isn't me. I thought he was setting a trap so I said 'What? Thats illegal, I don't wana do illegal drugs'. Then he just wrote me my dex script and pushed me out the door.

To this day I am not sure if he was being serious or not. It sounds like an obv trap, but you gotta know the guy. His wife is his psych and he is on zoloft, 120mg of adderall a day, sonata at night, dex-methylphenidate. etc etc. He is ALWAYS spun to fuck.

Who knows, maybe he just really really really really believes in stims when treating adhd.

He didn't sweat me too hard about the pot smoking, but thats a psych and these are stims. Opiates are a WHOLE NOTHER ballgame with doctors. At my age, I am rxed 160mg of oxycontin a day. I am LITTERALLY walking a tightrope walk on keeping that script on a daily basis. The doctor is just waiting, begging for me to have the SMALLEST possible hiccup. I have never brought up any drug abuse with him, never been a second early on my RX, never asked for a higher dose. Something as little as him seeing me in front of his office waiting on my appt with friends smoking a cigarette and laughing would be enough for him to kick me off. We have an understanding. I try my god damndest to be a model patient, and he tries his god damndest to find a reason to kick me off. I am happy with the way it is set up. (for the most part)

Status
Not open for further replies.