• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants High doses of Vyvanse

Moondust

Greenlighter
I'll share background info. I am 5'3" 25 year old female and weigh 104lbs. I was diagnosed ADHD in late March and was started on concerta 54mgs. Really awful come downs from that, it was a god damn truth serum that made me tell my boyfriend everything that I didn't like about him and our relationship at the end of the night. It amplified every negative thing in my life and I felt the need to to tell everyone exactly what they did or are doing to make it so. I am generally happy and upbeat, focusing on positives and the concerta really messed with that. About a month ago I was perscribed 30mg of vyvanse. I've always been intelligent and motivated, just have a real issue with idea of failure and compulsion in many forms (drug addictions, no filter for things I tell people, bulimia).

The vyvanse has completely cured me from binging and purging and taken away all urges to do drugs or drink which was what I needed help with most. I have a background of OxyContin addiction and I have no cravings for them while on my dose of vyvanse. With the pain pills I wasn't a heavy doser but I dosed everyday for a year which really turned my brain inside out and landed me in rehab.

I don't take the vyvanse everyday but I find myself wanting to. I am the type of person who will start hating myself if I depend on a drug to accomplish what I want in life so it is best for me to take breaks of about a week to get things done and know it came from me not a pill. Just my own ways of wanting to operate.

The 30mgs does everything I need it to I love it, but of course I had to experiment. I took double my dose one day, 60mgs. A lot more anxiety, my feeling of being alert and focused like a panther hunting in a jungle changed to a rabbit stuck in a cage with nowhere to go. Anxiety and heart rate were up there, I felt paranoid I didn't wanna be around people. Even with the 30mgs it just isn't a recreational drug to me, I don't get the extreme confidence that others have reported. I went back to my 30mg dose and felt way better. I was back to my "this drug is a game changer in my life" drug to be respected and not used as a cure for my shortcomings as a human.

Anyways, has anybody experienced this as well? Could taking a higher dose of vyvanse be more of a placebo effect since vyvanse works differently than other ADHD meds? If you are on a low dose of vyvanse I would like to hear how it effects you, when on it and also in regards to taking breaks. I've read a lot of scary experiences from others saying they cannot even get out of bed going a day without their meds. I feel like that's dramatic, but everyone is different. I have no problem taking breaks, I have no negative effects and accomplish chores and work. I do focus more on food when off which is undesirable because of the possibility of bulimia rearing it's ugly head.

Im truly sorry that your dealing with bulimia, I've personally had similar issues in the past(I was 6' 1" and 130lbs before my accident) and I know how mentally crushed a negative body image can leave you and I wish you nothing but the best going forward with it. And it's none of my business but I know I always got a boost from people being honest with me and I personally think you're a perfect weight for your height if not a tad under weight. Again just one mans opinion, please don't take anything said here harshly, its all meant with the absolute best intentions and with literally NO judgment. As for your post and questions, SWIM has been prescribed 30-50mg of Vyvanse for going on 1 1/2 years and SWIM would have to say he has had a somewhat similar experience in regards to taking his prescribed pain meds. Swim has been taking pain killers for going on 4 years now after a car wreck followed by a botched disc replacement and until the Vyvanse was prescribed SWIM had a major issue with abusing said pain killers. But immediately upon "coming up" the first time on the Vyvanse SWIM had absolutely NO oxy cravings or desire to get high on them(SWIM still took them for his pain but at a much, much slower rate) and he has also had no want/need for drinking or using any other drugs in general, except for Xanax but that was only in times when he couldn't get to sleep because of the Vyvanse. When SWIM came down it was an entirely different story but for the first couple months when SWIM was "up" the cravings went away completely and the Vyvanse even helped out a lot with his pain(which his pain doc has been ecstatic about since he's in his early 20's as well and the last thing any doc wants is a lifetime pain patient). Since SWIM's dose has been stabilized he has had a few moments of abuse a couple nights of drinking and a few other undisclosed binges but instead of running out of his pain meds 2 weeks early every single month he's now only running out 3 days early on average and 7 days early max. As for the placebo question, its been deeply and thoroughly explained and discussed on this and many other websites if you want to search here or google the actual chemistry behind it, but basically the way Vyvanse works is its dexamfetamine with a lysine molecule attatched to it, to discourage abuse, which means it can't be broken down any faster than your liver can produce the chemical that lifts this lysine molecule off and then how fast your body can send the dexamfetamine shooting through your bloodstream and into your brain. As far as SWIM has seen there is no scientifically proven way to extract the dexamfetamine safely and without a lab in your house or send your liver into overdrive and produce more of the chemical that breaks the lysine down. SWIM could be wrong on that but SWIM has personally scoured the interwebs to find out if its possible or not and came up dry, but there is always something that's overlooked. Sounds like a yes to the placebo effect right? But the answer is technically no because you can load your body up with Vyvanse as much as you want(safely please!) and because it activates the way it does the higher dose could, in theory, keep you going for a longer period of time or even in some cases getting people more and more "amped." You have to factor in the ammount of dexamfetamine processed through your body and into waste, how much of the med your body can break down and handle at once and how fast your own body breaks the medication down but, in SWIM's experience, if he takes a higher does than his body can process at once(SWIM has taken from 30mg to 250mg in one 24hr period and his "amp" stops at about 100mg ((and just a tid bit the max adult dosage is technically 70mgs a day but some people even have scripts for up to 50mgs twice a day))after "amping" him through the roof) it does ,in fact, last a good amount longer depending on how much he took and when he took it. The 250mg day was a huge mistake on SWIM's part as he didn't sleep for at least 3 days and almost lost his mind but I digress. To my original point, every single person is different in how they react to any given chemical. Lots of people say taking more than 70-90mgs is a waste, as you'll find in 90% of the posts on here related to dosing Vyvanse, and then you'll have the other 10% with half of them having similar reactions to me and the other half with many ranging responses. And onto your low dose question. When SWIM was on a low dose it was great for a week and then it stopped working. SWIM's doctor prescribed a higher dose and same thing. After 3 months SWIM and his doctor decided to up the dose again, this time to 50mg and it was absolutely perfect for him. It helps him keep his wandering mind sharp and focused, helps him with his crippling despisment of other people, helps him with his overuse of oxy, makes him relatively happy(SWIM was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder not long after his failed surgery) and just makes him a much more pleasant person. SWIM likes to take a double dose sometimes to get "amped" or extremely motivated but usually just takes his regular dose and feels like a new man every day. So if the 60mgs was too much for you just stick to your 30mgs daily. You will most likely gain a tolerance and in time control over or the loss of all the jittery cracked out feelings you had and enjoy the rush and euphoria accompanying the higher and recreational doses. But coming from an addict who is now struggling with another minor yet, none the less there, addiction since adding the Vyvanse SWIM must caution you to not get used to it or enjoy it as it will absolutely become a habit and in turn an addiction. And to that SWIM must add that he envys your respect for the drug and he thinks it's incredibly admirable ,so much so that he wishes he could embrace your approach himself. And finally you asked about taking breaks from Vyvanse. SWIM has personally had no issue with going a day or two without his regular dose. He doesn't feel great after a month on then a day off but its tolerable for at least 3 days. In SWIM's opinion, and again its in SWIM's opinion and SWIM means absolutely no disrespect to anyone else, when someone can't get out of bed or live a normal life without a specific medication, that person either has a truly serious disease and/or deficiency or that person has a major case of dependency, physical or mental. I think that touched on all the bases you were looking for. Sorry if this is rambling and ridiculously long, SWIM is all jacked right now. I hope at least some of this was either informing or helpful. Cheers!

Last edited: