Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Help/Info: W.A. Drug Addict Register

raDany

Greenlighter
When going to my psychiatrist the other week he decided that he saw a case for prescribing dexamphetamine. Brilliant I thought. Got the authority script etc over the phone and didn't run into any confusion until my next visit where he informed me that I was on the western australia drug addict register. I have been googling and reading heaps of information about it but can't find any information about if you were meant to be notified or how to go about removing your name.

My psych isa bit of a loose unit in some regards and I'm not fully convinced he is telling me the whole story. He prescribes me DEX with a private script and wheni pressed him on the issue of the drug register he just brushed it aside telling me it was to much paperwork etc to get it removed. I also know that he could apply to the health department using a special form for prescribing to drug addicts but have no idea why he doesn't.

For me it's a personal issue, if I am on the register it's because of a past life as a heavy oxy abuser. That life is far behind me and there is nothing worse than having type past come back to haunt you. I'm after any info about if i should or would have been notified and how I go about having my name removed if it is the case. This isn't the doctor shoppers list is the specific wa drug addict register.

It may also help to know that I have (since being told about this) a shoulder operation and was prescribed oxy afterwards with no issues.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/doanr1980406/s5.html

The law at the moment is:
DRUGS OF ADDICTION NOTIFICATION REGULATIONS 1980 - REG 5
5 . Register
(1) The Executive Director, Public Health and Scientific Support Services shall cause to be kept a register of the information forwarded to him in accordance with regulation 4.

(2) The Executive Director may delete information from the register referred to in subregulation (1) where —

(a) the person referred to in the register has died;

(b) after 2 years, the Director, Alcohol and Drug Authority has advised that the person referred to in the register has ceased to use drugs;

(c) the entry was, for any reason, false or incorrect; or

(d) for a period of at least 5 years, the person referred to in the register has no contact with the Department, either directly or indirectly in relation to their use of drugs of addiction.

If it is a big deal for you ask the psychiatrist to notify them. Or wait out the time if it hasn't been 2 years. They are changing the law as we speak though...

The new laws seem to outline a bit more of a transparent process but you still have to convince the Executive Director of Public Health that you shouldn't be on the register. They will include non dependent people on the register though which I think is even more of an invasion of privacy than the old laws.

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Parliament/bills.nsf/7109461B7113EF2848257BC0003150F7/$File/Bill023-1.pdf

Theres some contact details on the public health website under notifications. Maybe start there?

Has anyone out there tried to do this before? I imagine there will be more and more people experiencing this as they widen the net to include "over supplied" patients.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will send a well worded and proofed email to the department. I ran across the proposal to change the current laws, I just don't see them abolishing the register as quickly as they rescheduled alprazolam.

They aren't going to abolish it just change its name and make it more wide ranging. I think they will move all the names over from the old list. Maybe try and get yours off before they change it.

Im certain I wiuld have been notified in writing about this. I think my psych was just playing games with me getting me to think about it to much. I will make a call tomorrow to the head office and see if I can check without causing to many alarm bells to go off