• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Help Getting Started With Fictional Writing

Ashley

Bluelight Crew
I really want to start writing fiction more but I just don't know how to structure a short story properly. I just get lost after a handful of paragraphs and really struggle to develop a coherent plot line, and of course a story. Any advice guys? New? Thou? 4EA?

I think the last more than a paragraph long piece of creative writing I did was in Year 7-10 English (I'm 25 now), and I always got an A+ and positive comments from my English teachers. Though, I still think my writing sucks. Is this normal? Does everyone else feel the same? Also, I understand the debate of whether or not reading a lot makes you a better writer or not. Should I start reading more to help with my writing?

Whenever I due read I thoroughly enjoy it. The last complete series I read was The Sword Of Truth by Terry Goodkind. I used to read it to Jess (my fiaance as some of you know) every night to help her get to sleep (we got through 12 books with an average of about 800 pages each, and both loved it! :)) Anyway, any advice on writing creative fiction, short stories, etc would be most appreciated. I've wanted/want to compete in some of the fictional contests in Words but I just don't have enough guts or something.

I would some day love to get published, but before that I'd like to write a complete novel.. Naturally. :) And hopefully my writing isn't as bad as I think it is. :p

Ash. <3

Reading helps. Writing also helps. Write every day. Also helps when you have serious desire or focus on what you want to write. The accolades from publishing something fade fast and you quickly lose currency unless you strike again with newer, better material.

Ashley said:
I would some day love to get published, but before that I'd like to write a complete novel.. Naturally. And hopefully my writing isn't as bad as I think it is. :p

IME that's the way to not succeed. You could submit the next great American (or, I guess, Australian) novel and publishers could still reject you. The incumbent publishers are more risk-averse than ever which is great because it opens the door to innovative new publishers capitalizing off more modern methods of marketing and dissemination -- but it's shit for a writer who just wants to get his name out there. Just like any career you need a portfolio for your name to start meaning anything. If you feel anxious just reading the words "career" and "portfolio" then get a Wordpress account and start blogging for free like all the other people who are not serious about becoming professional writers. There are a lot of talented amateurs making a name for themselves 140 words at a time

Read as much as humanly possible.

Do you watch television? Cut that shit out and read instead.

Free time at work? Read.

Free time at home? Read.

Read multiple books at once to avoid boredom in any one subject.

Read both a healthy mix of fiction and nonfiction.

Avoid newspapers like the plague, they are not literature or even good writing for that matter, and are terrible for your mental health.

Keep a journal each day. Write as much as possible, about anything you want.

Be aware. Something interesting happens throughout the course of your day? Write it down. Input comes from everywhere.

Vivid dreamer? Wake up and while nursing your coffee transcribe the dream as best you can. William Burroughs got at least 40 of his material from dreams.

When you're not reading, listen to audiobooks, lectures, anything intelligent from acclaimed authors or intellectuals.

Forget about publishing or selling anything. Write to entertain just ONE person. I'll quote Vonnegut "If you open a window and try to make love to the world, you'll get pnuemonia, so to speak."