• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help and questions with quitting opiates

Tajaodan

Greenlighter
Ok so i have tried and tried and tried to quit opiates for a year now. Nothing works for me. I am addicted to hydrocodone/oxycodone. I have a therapist i see weekly. Tried aa, rehab and just about everything else. It just does not work for me. The only thing that can keep me sober is being in jail or rehab (because i cant get drugs while detained somewhere). So now i am at the point of thinking about suboxone or vivitrol. I know someone cant quit until they are fully ready and want to quit and trust me i have been there for a while. But nothing can keep me from going back. I need help. I have been to rehab many times and it helps while i am there but once i get out i always end up going back. So now i am to the point where i need something to make it where i cannot get high. I have been reading about methadone, suboxone, subutex and vivitrol. I have heard horror stories of the withdrawl from some of these drugs and have expierenced it first hand. So im asking if anyone has taken any/ all of these and which is the best choice for me. I really dont care about the withdrawl i am going to expierence from quitting and i know thats what suboxone is for along wih having a blocker. So what would be my best choice? I am just looking for something to keep me from not being able to get high. I want to get clean so bad but i just cannot do it. I have a huge support group and want it so bad but like everyone who is addicted. They have such a hook in me that i cannot avoid the cravings and i have tried everything. I know i cant rely on one of these substitutes for my whole life but i feel if i can get sober for a good amount of time then aa and outpatient can help me to stay clean. But i need something that is going to make it not possible for me to get high for a while. If not i am going to end up dead and i am at my last choice before death. So please can anyone give me some advice on what to look in to or what would be the best choice in drug to help me quit/ not let me get high with the least amount of side effects.

I suggest you try and come to terms with the fact that, for the moment, you may actually need drugs to stabilize in your life. If you have been using for a long time, this is entirely understandable.

If you have been dependent and addicted to opioids, I strongly suggest you look into Suboxone or Methadone, not Vivitrol.

Taj -

i couldnt agree greed more with toothpastedog. You should absolutely look into maintenance. Suboxone seems to be the one that is most recommended, but I have no direct experience myself.

A maintenance program seems to be what you need, regardless of the type you ultimately choose. Your use is having such a detrimental impact on your life that you need some stability. My suggestion is to reach out to a doctor that can prescribe suboxone and have a conversation with them.

Good luck! It won't be easy, but it's possible!

- VE

Thank you all. But why do you think i should go for suboxone or methadone over vivitrol? Not arguing just wondering. Like what is the difference. I feel like i just need a blocker to where i cant get high and to cut the cravings some. Could you explain the difference in just naloxone compared to bup/naloxan and why you think that would work better?

I guess what im asking is what is the need for buprenorphine and naloxan compared to just naloxon.

Vivitrol (naltrexone) is not nearly as effective in terms of treating opioid addiction as a partial agonist like buprenorphine or a full agonist like methadone in terms of reducing cravings and hence preventing relapse and promoting the stability necessary for recovery. Naloxone is only in Suboxone, it is one of the two ingredients in the medicine (the other is buprenoprhine) to supposedly prevent "abuse," though it does not really succeed at doing so in most patients who take the medicine.