• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help and advice needed getting off fentanyl

Macuser

Greenlighter
Goal: get opioids/opiates out of my life altogether.

Timeline: I want to be able to travel, sleep, etc. without any opioids/opiates in 5 weeks... September 30 weekend. I have a trip planned then.

History: I've been smoking pressed "blues" for 6 months, recently (last 2 weeks) going down to 8-10/day.

My War Chest:
  • Gabapentin, 4 x 600mg per day (I have a prescription)
  • Subs, 2 x 8mg
  • Kratom, unlimited
  • (possibly, I'll know within 24 hours) Methadone, 2 x 180mg "take-home" doses
Three months ago I put myself in PWD with a few tiny bits of a Sub. I didn't know about the difference between fentanyl and heroin then. Now I understand the wait should be 2-4 days, not simply when I enter withdrawal.

Me: I'm in my early 50s, using opioids/opiates on and off for 12 years. Too old for this life. I'm tired of waking up, having my first thought be "I'm using again. I have to go out and find a dose." My dealer died two days ago. He was a coke user and someone gave him "coke", but it was mostly/all powder fentanyl. He had no tolerance. I saw his body on the sidewalk. He lived in a tent downtown with his girlfriend, and I don't know if Narcan was administered when he was in distress. I've got to get out of this life.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you if you, reader, and I appreciate this forum.

Goal: get opioids/opiates out of my life altogether.

Timeline: I want to be able to travel, sleep, etc. without any opioids/opiates in 5 weeks... September 30 weekend. I have a trip planned then.

History: I've been smoking pressed "blues" for 6 months, recently (last 2 weeks) going down to 8-10/day.

My War Chest:
  • Gabapentin, 4 x 600mg per day (I have a prescription)
  • Subs, 2 x 8mg
  • Kratom, unlimited
  • (possibly, I'll know within 24 hours) Methadone, 2 x 180mg "take-home" doses
Three months ago I put myself in PWD with a few tiny bits of a Sub. I didn't know about the difference between fentanyl and heroin then. Now I understand the wait should be 2-4 days, not simply when I enter withdrawal.

Me: I'm in my early 50s, using opioids/opiates on and off for 12 years. Too old for this life. I'm tired of waking up, having my first thought be "I'm using again. I have to go out and find a dose." My dealer died two days ago. He was a coke user and someone gave him "coke", but it was mostly/all powder fentanyl. He had no tolerance. I saw his body on the sidewalk. He lived in a tent downtown with his girlfriend, and I don't know if Narcan was administered when he was in distress. I've got to get out of this life.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you if you, reader, and I appreciate this forum.
sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I know some people have difficulty making the jump over to the subs, but you sound good and determined. with that sort of sub load - I would probably gun for 48 hours to avoid PWD. Also look up "bernay's method" which some fentanyl users have found success with.

Kratom is your friend.
It was mine, thats for sure. It helped me get off and stay off opioids, alcohol and surprisingly, downers. I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for kratom. Starting with the reds and then eventually mixing strains.

sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I know some people have difficulty making the jump over to the subs, but you sound good and determined.
I do... sometimes. Most of the time. This is a gift... what I have right now is a gift. I have to view it as an off-ramp gift. They say the older you get, the harder it is to quit. I agree. The chips are stacked against me more than ever, so this little stash and my determination are all I've got and I've got to make the most of them. Writing here helps.

What I have before me is a relatively painless way to get off of months of using Fentanyl. That right there is pretty amazing. I don't want to f it up.

I'm a regular human who has woken up to a very bad habit. This is not sustainable. I've dipped my toe into WD a couple times since I started over the winter, and it ain't good. I don't like the feeling of knowing if I don't get this substance into me every 12 hours, I start having horrible irritability, sweating, etc. It's not a good feeling.

Today is the first day. I've had some thoughts about going to the street to score, already, and it's not even noon here. I'm sure I'll have many more of those today. One day at a time. (sorry)

My stash is what I wrote except for the methadone, which is Methadone, 1 x 150mg. I used 40mg of it this morning, plus two Gabapentin. I need this Methadone to get me out beyond the PWD danger of Subs vs. Fentanyl... that might be two days or four, but I'm counting on it being four. I've never used Methadone before and so far so good. No WDs.

Many thanks to all who have responded! You give me strength.

I do... sometimes. Most of the time. This is a gift... what I have right now is a gift. I have to view it as an off-ramp gift. They say the older you get, the harder it is to quit. I agree. The chips are stacked against me more than ever, so this little stash and my determination are all I've got and I've got to make the most of them. Writing here helps.

What I have before me is a relatively painless way to get off of months of using Fentanyl. That right there is pretty amazing. I don't want to f it up.

I'm a regular human who has woken up to a very bad habit. This is not sustainable. I've dipped my toe into WD a couple times since I started over the winter, and it ain't good. I don't like the feeling of knowing if I don't get this substance into me every 12 hours, I start having horrible irritability, sweating, etc. It's not a good feeling.

Today is the first day. I've had some thoughts about going to the street to score, already, and it's not even noon here. I'm sure I'll have many more of those today. One day at a time. (sorry)

My stash is what I wrote except for the methadone, which is Methadone, 1 x 150mg. I used 40mg of it this morning, plus two Gabapentin. I need this Methadone to get me out beyond the PWD danger of Subs vs. Fentanyl... that might be two days or four, but I'm counting on it being four. I've never used Methadone before and so far so good. No WDs.

Many thanks to all who have responded! You give me strength.
You Will likely experiencia the same PWD problem with the methadone if You try to switch to Subs due to methadones long half life.

Street fent has analogues that stay in the system for up to a week so be careful. Methadone is the one that will help the most but then you have wd's from that. I would wait until i'm very sick and take the lowest amount of methadone possible and quickly taper off that . There's no easy way out just be careful you don't get another habit.

Yeahh when I was coming off fent i waited 4 days before trying subs I had pwd after 48 hours so was scared of it happening again I just used gabapentin kratom and clonidine to get to that 4 day mark