• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

hedonism and after life

bomber

Bluelighter
I just wanted to share an observation I made lately, which could mean something, or not.
Lately the hedonistic way of thinking becomes more and more my way of thinking. Im in that kind of mood that I would give up a place in heaven for a fully pleasurefull life in here, if we put hell out of the picture.
What I find intresting is that the more I think that way, the more people I meat that will tell me that pleasure in life doesn't matter at all and all I should care about is preparing for the after life.

What if there is no afterlife? Then you've miserably wasted this one chance for some fun.

What if there is?

We can play the what if game, but at the end of the day it's about what makes us selfish humans happy.

IF there is there is no way of knowing what kind of behavior would be required of it so we are back to making yourself happy as the logical route.

All I know is that you don't want to be on your death bed with deep regrets.

Trust me on this one. It is a horrible, horrible experience.

I mean yeah, I guess we ultimately could just go into oblivion when we die. But you actually have to go through the process of dying, which isn't a cake walk, and that process is made way harder by having time to think about all the shit you could've done but didn't.

Some of us die fast though, so I dunno.

What if there is?

Pascalls wager to an extent. But, you do lose out if you live life in anticipation of the next.

As C_t said, we've no way of knowing what allows one into heaven. Or hell. Besides what institutions tell us and they've invested reasons to fabricate.

I rather live in the now. I fail at that though, I'm always a touch behind or in front. Life is, afterlife might be. Best bet is to assume it ends, like everything else. Imo!

All I know is that you don't want to be on your death bed with deep regrets.

Trust me on this one. It is a horrible, horrible experience.

I mean yeah, I guess we ultimately could just go into oblivion when we die. But you actually have to go through the process of dying, which isn't a cake walk, and that process is made way harder by having time to think about all the shit you could've done but didn't.

Some of us die fast though, so I dunno.
Have you been there?

Im most likely to believe that there is no after life. But the less I care about an after life, the more people I meat who tell me that after life is all that mater. Could be a message from God or anything. Or just luck.

And how do those people know what afterlife is, and how to make it good for yourself? Has anyone been there?

For me it comes down to a pretty easy comparison: we know that this life exists (since you're in it), but we can only speculate about an "afterlife". I'd go with what is real, and worry about what comes after, after.

So, my advice is to live life now. Like Foreigner said, you don't want to be on your deathbed thinking of all the missed opportunities and your wasted life. There is so much to do in this life that it almost makes afterlife pointless.

Yeah tottally agree. Afterlife is very apealing for some people that can't find hapiness here.Or don't try enough to find it. "Why would I try to improve my life, since I can just wait to die and live better after that" they think.
The thing is that, real or not, after life is almost not apealing at all to me.

Life is to be enjoyed, "preparing for the afterlife" is a complete waste of the time you have here (especially since there's no way to know if there even is an afterlife), I openly embrace hedonism because it helps me feel truly ALIVE, in the moment, not merely existing & waiting to die

^ giving up on this life because the slightest possibility of it ending soon exists sounds a little silly to me.

There's a slight chance you can win the lottery and become very rich, as there is a slight chance afterlife exists. Are you going to leave everything in your life, and spend all money on lottery tickets? Go with what you know exists...

^ giving up on this life because the slightest possibility of it ending soon exists sounds a little silly to me.

There's a slight chance you can win the lottery and become very rich, as there is a slight chance afterlife exists. Are you going to leave everything in your life, and spend all money on lottery tickets? Go with what you know exists...

Awesome point.

What if you only go to hell if your guilty and see what your doing as "hedonism".