• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

🍄 Gardening 🍄 Has anyone tried to grow their own poppies??

That book isn't so great imo, especially for the average indoor grower who is growing in soil i did). And it's outdated.

In posted about my indoor grow, with progress pictures and explanations of my methods, on the subreddit r/druggardening. I mentioned that I was thinking about writing a book about it since no book exists (except that old book hydroponic heroin), and I was surprised about how excited people got about the idea of me writing a new book about growing indoors (using soil not hydroponics). To this day i get messages about it asking me if the book is available. People even come from reddit and somehow find me here to ask me if the book is available.

I should write the book. My methods were unique, and my unusual supplementation (like using l-tyrosine and daily nitrogen supplementation in the form of dried pigs blood, and heavy feeding in general) produced minigrow tent bursting with the most potent pods I have ever had in my life (and I have bought and used alot of pods since I was a daily pod tea user for over a year). I even took highly detailed photos at all stages, starting from my unique germination to my scoring procedures and etc. I even did some time lapse photography of it.

While ive done a bunch of indoor grows I feel like I'd want to do one more before writing the book, just to answer some unanswered questions that I have. Problem is, I dont want to go down that road since the end result is a bunch of opium (even one 4' x 4' grow tent could produce a few grams of morphine equivalent -- I'm talking the total morphine content from the dried plants, not grams of opium). But I could easily write that book now.

Interested in the supplementation. I never went very involved and complicated, just gave mine a regular dressing of my own household compost plus fishmeal. They do very well on that.

I did use grow tents in my house (I had one in my office and one in the shower of my guest room -- people rarely come over, my girlfriend's sister saw the big black tent in the shower, but probably thought it was just weed).

However the area I was growing in my garage was way too large to fit in a grow tent. I mean I'm sure they produce giant walk in grow tents that size but I bet something of that size would cost like $5,000 (which definitely isnt worth it if it wasnt someone I was planning on doing forever). But the rest of the indoor grows were actually inside my house, in small 4'x4' grow tents. I had 3 tents inside my house. My girlfriend was relieved when I stopped growing because she thought it was something that I'd be doing every year. At first i actually thought it was something I'd do maybe one or twice a year. However i was too good at it, and wound up with more poppies than I expect, which led me to getting slightly hooked on it, which required me using kratom for a few months afterwords to use as landing gear. So as a former hardcore opioid addict I decided it wasn't the best activity for me.
We need to talk more sir if you dont mind. You definitely know your shit. Would it be OK if I pm'd you sometime to talk poppy?

Interested in the supplementation. I never went very involved and complicated, just gave mine a regular dressing of my own household compost plus fishmeal. They do very well on that.

My logic first is that you need to feed poppies a shitload of food in order for them to grow as large as possible. I mean think about, those leaves are composed of nutrients the plant takes from its surroundings. So feed it more and it will grow more.

Virtually every single day I would feed the plant with this, mixed with water:

Its basically bat shit in liquid form. Unlike chemical fertilizers, which can burn or even kill your plant (nutrient burn, aka "nute burn'), you cant burn your plants with bat shit. Well I'm sure you can, but it isn't easy.

Then every other day, i would give it about a teaspoon or two of pigs blood, which is rich in nitrogen. Morphine is nitrogenous alkaloid and is vital to promoting biosynthesis of morphine within the plant:

The l-tyrosine was only applied to some plants, at around a gram every few days, in water. Those plants produced the strongest pods. I remember being amazing at how I got after making pod tea from just like 6 grams of dried pods from that plant. By weight, those pods were at least 3 times stronger than the best outdoor pods I've ever had. Being indoors does alot. During the late pod stage, when they are mature or near mature, rain can reduce morphine content by something crazy, like 60%.

In anycase, I wanted to do one more grow before I wrote my book, just to try a few more test ideas. But I mean I could write an awesome book right now based on my knowledge. I've never really grown plants, but I was a mastermind at growing indoors poppies. It was also amazing to witness. I'd unzip the tent just to look at them at least 10 times a day. It was crazy, right before my eyes indoors, I was growing the most addictive plant known to man, a plant that has enslaved millions of people. They even kind of look like aliens (my girlfriend thought they looked creepy).

If you search there is a thread here in bluelight that has pictures of some of my indoor grows. It was easily one of the coolest things I've done in a while, especially since when I first did it, so many people said they don't grow well indoors, or can't be transplanted, or the taproot is too long and they can't grow in pots and need to be in the ground. I actually think I set off a trend, because my posts on reddit r/druggardening a few years ago about my grow, along with pictures and detailed commentary and instructions i posts, got alot of attention and went semi-viral. Now when you go on r/druggardening you see quite a few indoor poppy tent grows. But when I made my posts a few years ago, there were virtually no indoor grows, aside from plants next to a windows, or unsuccessful attempts with small lights etc. I don't recall seeing any high successfully tent grows like mine. Now they are fairly common, and people are still hitting me up about the book since I guess people are still referring back to that post.

Still, a lot of these people aren't feeling their poppies as much as I recommended, nor are their giving it a ton of pigs blood etc. Haven't seen anyone with grow that looked as healthy and bountiful as mine. And most importantly, people are growing the wrong type of poppies, like izmir farm galanias or things with catchy names like Afghan etc.

The only poppy that should ever be grown in a tent is the high alkaloid pharma Tasmanian poppy. Everything else is a waste of time. Despite the lore, most izmir galanias, giganthemum (which should never be grown in a tent) and others almost have ornamental oriented genetics, and produce a few large pods with big flowers. That might be fine if you are growing outdoors and have alot of plants, but in a 4'x4' tent, one should only grown pharma Tasmanians because they grow as a short bush like plant, with many pods of small to medium size. But the total dried weight of pods is way higher per plant. Not only that, these Tasmanians are don't have ornamental genetics, they are grown for alkaloid production. So time and time again, I see people growing poppies in tents that only produce like 4 or 5 medium to large pods, whereas a Tasmanian can produce 30 small to medium, but the total weight is way higher, and the opium is MUCH stronger. And then, when you give it the nutrients I was giving it, you wind up with some powerful shit. I'd estimate that the opium from my best plants, when fully dried in a dehydrator at 90 degrees for a day, was something insane, like 28% morphine by weight. Maybe more. I have easily gone through 100 pounds of online bought pods, and these were incomparable.

Funny enough, these pharma Tasmanian seeds are the "UK blue" type sold by poppy seed tea vendors. I've grown a bunch of different varieties, including the ismir galanias that are said to be genetically engineered by the Chinese for opium production (the seeds are white, and the opium milk is pink at first, versus white), and the seeds from the poppy seed tea wash vendor was far superior. My recommendation is to research where the best poppy seed tea vendor shops are, but a few batches and make the poppy seed tea (or wash rather, it's not tea). Plant whatever batch has the best high.

If you're growing outdoors it's a different story maybe, but indoors, only grow Tasmanians. I frequently see these dudes posting their grow tents with underfed non-tasmanian plants that have like 5 pods. Big waste of time.

Last edited:
Interesting the plant food bottle you show advertises worm casts on the label. My compost is full of worm casts. Also as well as compost and fish meal I give my poppies nettle tea. It's high in nitrogen, potassium, sodium and phosphorus, as well as boron which is a specifically beneficial micronutrient for these plants. Only downside is the stuff stinks to high heaven Xd

PS for anyone interested : to make nettle tea, finely chop up stinging nettles, put them into a bucket and top up with just enough water to cover. Leave to steep for 3 - 4 weeks ; when it starts to bubble and the smell is causing the neighbours to comment, it's ready. Dilute 1 pt to 10 pts water.

Interesting the plant food bottle you show advertises worm casts on the label. My compost is full of worm casts. Also as well as compost and fish meal I give my poppies nettle tea. It's high in nitrogen, potassium, sodium and phosphorus, as well as boron which is a specifically beneficial micronutrient for these plants. Only downside is the stuff stinks to high heaven Xd

PS for anyone interested : to make nettle tea, finely chop up stinging nettles, put them into a bucket and top up with just enough water to cover. Leave to steep for 3 - 4 weeks ; when it starts to bubble and the smell is causing the neighbours to comment, it's ready. Dilute 1 pt to 10 pts water.

I'd recommend more food if possible. Yeah worm casting and bat shit. So basically liquid shit. Its probably mostly worm castings with a little bat shit (guano) in it given how much more expensive guano is than earthworm casting.

Also would recommend way more nitrogen. Dried pigs blood is the best organic source (unless you're jewish and need kosher opium 😂), but I guess you could use scraps of meat compost. But large amounts of excess nitrogen is good the biosynthesis of morphine is nitrogen dependent, and nitrogen, followed perhaps by phosphorus are rate limiting elements in the biosynthesis of morphine. I did give them some limited amount of fertilizer micronutrients, like cal mag. Not sure of if it's effect.

And cover the pods if it rains when the pods are formed and maturing. Even a little baggy over each pod might help, but that's alot of work.

I was blown away by how much stronger indoor pods are than outdoor. The difference is probably even more pronounced than indoor vs outdoor weed.

Growing indoors is also pretty inefficient and time consuming. The max I was getting per 4x4 tent was maybe 350 grams of dried pods, which is remarkable, but I bet with practice I could get the yield to 500g dried per 4'x4', which would be bursting at the seams. But mind you, that is like 1.5 pounds of outdoor grown pods.

The high from the tasmanian high alkaloid pharm pods (UK blue, which are pharma seeds from plants grown by pharmaceutical companies in the southern UK) is a little different than say giganthemums, with the UK tassies having a more energizing, euphoric high (with a slight oxycodone vibe) where as the giganthemums are more sleepy. That said, the UK tassies will have nodding with no problem.

I gave a little chunk of the opium (not tea but dried resin) to my girlfriend. She was having cramps and I said here take this (I put it in a capsule. I think it was around a 200mg chunk. Right after I gave it to her I thought oh shit, that might have been too much. I even considered telling her to throw it up but remembered I have plenty of naloxone and naltrexone if it was too much. I checked back in on her an hour later and said, "how you feeling, was it too much?"...to which she replied in lowered scratchy voice, "no I think it was good". When I looked at her face she looked fucked up, eyes all Chinese looking, pupils pinned. She was high for a full day, and into the next (she is opioid naive). And despite her throwing up a few times, to my surprise she said she liked it and would try it again (I've given her hydrocodone and tianeptine before and she never enjoyed them). She even asked for it again. Of course, that was the last time I gave her any. Just shows you the power of opium. The most addictive plant on earth, by far. There isn't even a close second, at least, not in it's natural state.

I'd recommend more food if possible. Yeah worm casting and bat shit. So basically liquid shit. Its probably mostly worm castings with a little bat shit (guano) in it given how much more expensive guano is than earthworm casting.

Also would recommend way more nitrogen. Dried pigs blood is the best organic source (unless you're jewish and need kosher opium 😂), but I guess you could use scraps of meat compost. But large amounts of excess nitrogen is good the biosynthesis of morphine is nitrogen dependent, and nitrogen, followed perhaps by phosphorus are rate limiting elements in the biosynthesis of morphine. I did give them some limited amount of fertilizer micronutrients, like cal mag. Not sure of if it's effect.

And cover the pods if it rains when the pods are formed and maturing. Even a little baggy over each pod might help, but that's alot of work.

I was blown away by how much stronger indoor pods are than outdoor. The difference is probably even more pronounced than indoor vs outdoor weed.

Growing indoors is also pretty inefficient and time consuming. The max I was getting per 4x4 tent was maybe 350 grams of dried pods, which is remarkable, but I bet with practice I could get the yield to 500g dried per 4'x4', which would be bursting at the seams. But mind you, that is like 1.5 pounds of outdoor grown pods.

The high from the tasmanian high alkaloid pharm pods (UK blue, which are pharma seeds from plants grown by pharmaceutical companies in the southern UK) is a little different than say giganthemums, with the UK tassies having a more energizing, euphoric high (with a slight oxycodone vibe) where as the giganthemums are more sleepy. That said, the UK tassies will have nodding with no problem.

I gave a little chunk of the opium (not tea but dried resin) to my girlfriend. She was having cramps and I said here take this (I put it in a capsule. I think it was around a 200mg chunk. Right after I gave it to her I thought oh shit, that might have been too much. I even considered telling her to throw it up but remembered I have plenty of naloxone and naltrexone if it was too much. I checked back in on her an hour later and said, "how you feeling, was it too much?"...to which she replied in lowered scratchy voice, "no I think it was good". When I looked at her face she looked fucked up, eyes all Chinese looking, pupils pinned. She was high for a full day, and into the next (she is opioid naive). And despite her throwing up a few times, to my surprise she said she liked it and would try it again (I've given her hydrocodone and tianeptine before and she never enjoyed them). She even asked for it again. Of course, that was the last time I gave her any. Just shows you the power of opium. The most addictive plant on earth, by far. There isn't even a close second, at least, not in it's natural state.
I am finding your poppy growing info interesting as heck. I've scattered a few seeds amongst my other yard plants and had fun that way, but I am very pointedly trying to avoid opiates. I've been hooked on everything else at one time of my life and would like to avoid that one for a few more years at least.
That Hydroponic Heroin book was indeed dated. However, what I did find interesting was the chapters on what to do with your product after the harvest. Again, something I will never use, but interesting none the less.

Starter said:
Last time I posted this I wiped it. That said, I won't this time. I re-typed it and simplified it (picture guide) so anyone can follow it. If there's minors, dullards and miscreants in the Shroomery community who wish to get reckless and disrespect this plant/themselves, then you've been warned/fuck-off. Alibi clause said blah-de-blah.
:smile:

Note: as Spring is around the corner for the snowed in Northern Hemisphere folks, then it's time to get on with the garden bed prep at first thaw. For the folks in the Southern Hemisphere, you'll be kicking off as soon as the warm season veggies are over. Yep, first frosts come this Autumn. For both crowds, the clock is ticking.

Without ado...

Intro.

Papaver somniferum is a cold season annual by Aussie standards and only does best in the cold climate areas of the continent. Time for kick off sowing downunder is mid-Autumn and the finish is early Summer, dead by Christmas day but harvest is truly done by then -- strain Tasmanians.

I have no idea what ops climate/season like in the Northern Hemisphere. I can only comment on cold climate Australia for opium poppy. You'll have to do your own homework, but a good rule of thumb is adopt what onions like. They too are cold season growers. If you can't run a long season strain like Tasmanians, then run something fast like Turkish Commercial.

Seed Raising

Raise seedlings by sprinkling on the top of a moist potting mix outdoors when temps are 14C to 15C, as cold is needed to break the dormancy cycle. Seed trays need drainage, so if you line a bread tray with plastic (as seen in the pic) punch some holes through it with a screw driver. You can break the dormancy cycle for an expedient germination with a couple of weeks in a baggie in the crisper dish. As a side note, store seeds in paper bags in a dark cool drawer.

Now I've found almost any potting mix will work. Poppy is a hardy bastard. But hey, add 1 part peat and 1 part perlite to 3 parts potting mix to make a good seed raising mix. The peat holds more water and the perlite gives a better air filled porosity. While they grow, get on with making the garden bed they'll go to.

Soil.

You want good garden soil, a fine till, stacks of worms and well drained. The site must be full sun. Veggie qual soil is a must to get the results. Use hay as mulch, it cranks the worms.

Good garden soil will power plants. If you can grow veggies then poppy is as easy as pissing on your hand.

To make beds, dig over with a mattock and shovel and then till with a fork. Or if ya slack hire a rotary hoe. Build beds up by drainage trenches to break beds up into sizes you can access. Remove all weeds in the process.

Hay is vital, it increases soil fertility and lowers weed invasion. Cover in 2 sheets of newspaper, then the hay and/or straw. I like alfalfa hay as a base, then barley straw on top. Less algae on barley, you can bare foot garden. Straw/hay is also vital in keeping poppy roots cool through out the growing season. Aussie sun is intense, even if the air is refrigerator cold.

Planting out 'n Growing.

Now you can sow direct to beds, IME it sux, they come up way too thick and unless thinned like carrots, they won't do as well as clump plantings.

Clump plantings are simple. Transplant from seed trays as a clump the size of your fist at 3" tall grid space to bed 600mm x 600mm apart.

A single clump at the finish has a trunk structure like this. There's 5 plants in this one.

You can see the trunks/stems at base are about 50mm wide.

Approx. 50 pods per clump.

Which is why you NEED the 600mm x 600mm space between these clumps as it's gonna get as full as a bull's arse on the bed...capiche. You need room to get into it to harvest opium without stomping on the trunks and slaying your plot. Poppy trunks get squashed and stripped by boots. Don't walk on them and kill the goose that's laying out the good stuff...so to speak.

You should also lower the water delivery to the plot just before it flowers. That way the latex flow will be hard. If after alkaloids then a good indicator is lower leaf desiccating.

You also work backwards in the plot, that way you don't wipe off the bleeding opium onto your clothes. Watch the bees too, they're in BIG numbers when in flower.

They will get to 5ft tall in good soil, full sun, well drained...get a book on veggie growing.
What is worth stating is a taller crop is a better one as you can tend at a comfortable height, i.e. less stooping on the back scraping pods.

The ^above strain is the single red, it's a Tasmanian. Has a long season, high morphine content. Works nice as a garden ornamental too.

Closer look...

Of course, you don't have to broad bed 'em, you can embellish a flower garden to stealth them in.

...and if you just want colour, well grow any strain you like. Colour or drugs, you decide based on the strain you grow.

The main pests and diseases of poppy IME are slugs and snails at seedling stage and caterpillar on the pods. Just use snail baits and on the caterpilla, spray with Dipel. Botrytis too can attack the pods as well as powdery mildew on the foliage. I'm not a fan of fungicides, I believe in growing what works. Hence I don't get much P&D drama, certainly not with Tasmanians -- they're a solid work horse.

What's next?

Ok, you've got a plot of poppy, high alkaloid content, it's ready to bleed. Make a scraping tool. You start the bleeds about 3 to 5 days after the petals fall off. You only go 0.5mm to 1mm deep. Too shallow, she won't bleed. Too deep and she bleeds back inside the pod wasting it. You'll work it out soon enough.

Best I've found to scrape in the morning, then collect in the evening. It sets in the sun. That way errant dews/frosts won't wipe off the work. If it's going to rain, hold back on scraping or you'll lose it.

Raw opium off ornamental strains...

The darker it is, the better the quality IME. Note the difference!!

So grow the correct strain for the specific task, drugs or colour?...don't forget what your goals are. This is single red Tasmanian raw opium, 'dis be da shit. Smokes well just as you see it.

Wanna make it stronger and a better smoke?

Add some water to a bowl to dissolve the raw collected latex. The return is approx. 2/3 of what raw latex you had.

Double saucepan heat it to dissolve it. Water will go amber. Some people lower the pH with lemon juice or vinegar. I haven't noted any difference.

Filter it through a 73u bubble bag.

Toss that waxy waste material.

Pour the caught liquid back to a pyrex dish and double saucepan cook to evap off the water.

You get a layer like fine chocolate glass. Cling film on top so don't lose it as you scrape it up...

This is the goods. Smokes up easy.
:laugh:

Wanna embellish it?

Make some hash, yeah have the materials to do that...

Go to http://www.bubblebag.com as I won't bother explaining how to make ice hash. But you don't want the hash dried like a normal hash product when mixed to cooked smoke grade opium, you'll never get the two to "set" together. So don't have your hash like this.

Make up some more hash, this is 73u full filtered preemo ice-hash.

Some 25u preemo, it acts as the "binding agent" -- very sticky.

Mixed to preemo ice hash, shape with a spoon. Don't touch, the cooked smoke grade opium is water soluble. You want it to dry natural, so place somewhere warm, like on top of a tropical fish tank. The fluro under the hood will dry it nice.

As it dries, it will go a jet black colour...

Once dry, break off small chunks to a glass pipe, acrid and yet spicy, full drug indulgence.
:wink:

So you want to make some edible grade eh?

Best to use pods that are dried, seeds removed and crush to a dust. Don't have a pic of that. But you're looking at every 300 grams dry seedless pods ground to a "poppy flour" will furnish 100 grams putty.

Cook it, gentle boil for 2hrs. You can throw in a cup of lemon juice or a 1/4 cup of vinegar. The lower pH is said to aid extracting out the morphine. IME, it makes no real difference, Tassie pods kick serious arse!

Strain it, in this case through a 250u bubble bag to a 20lt bucket...

Toss the caught matter, clean pot and add the liquid caught in the bucket back to the pot and boil off the water.

When you get to the last 1/2" deep or so, it's gonna get thick and it will prolly burn on the hobs, so tip to a pyrex dish. Sit it on a heat pad and let it evap off slow over 48hrs. Put a tea towel over the top, stops dust/insects getting in it. Hey, you're gonna eat it, be clean.

Please note, use the correct strain. Ornamental poppy strains will give a brown edible grade putty, not nearly as good as the black stuff.

Once evap'ed off, she sets like a putty. Scrape it up, can be tough stuff. You might wanna use a large flat head screw driver.

Roll to balls to eat, 3 grams is a solid dose. Find your level, it will make you very ill if you OD. Wrap excess up in a dusting of plain wheat flour, cover in cling film and pop into the freezer. I have had it keep for 3 years so far with no drama and as good as the day it was made.

Well, that's it.
Happy growing and O'ing.

soo that tek which is from a user on shroomery

has worked well for me

soo that tek which is from a user on shroomery

has worked well for me

Those opium pills look exactly like mine!
And yes I also score them in the morning and collect late afternoon.

PS this pretty much looks step-by-step the method I was taught by a guy from Laos ; more or less only difference is I will triple-refine my 'chandu' smoking opium, like his uncle who ran an opium den (one of the last legal ones before the official shut-down) used to do.
Yes you lose volume each time but the end result pays out.

Last edited:
@negrogesic, I've never come across bat guano in a commercial product where I live, but what I do have is 3 yr old well-rotted horse manure - which I can pick up in a field 5 mins away for totally free and keep the supply going! (seperate heaps of course). Does a great job in combination with the other stuff. 👍

The ^above strain is the single red, it's a Tasmanian. Has a long season, high morphine content. Works nice as a garden ornamental too.

Closer look...

Are you sure those are Tasmanian poppies? There probably are red Tasmanian, but pharma high alkaloid Tasmanian poppy looks distinctly like these:

Note the distinct white petals with purple in the center:.

Now here is one if my indoor grows, where I grew the same pharma Tasmanian variety as those pharma poppies (this is one of my earlier grows where i was still learning. Note the distinct resemblance of my poppies to the high alk tasmanian poppies above:

Having grown many different kinds, the above are the only kind ill ever grow. And no, what I grew were not Norman high thebaine poppies. The poppies pictured had the best high of any pods I've ever had, and I've grown alot. These are engineered to have high alkaloid content, not large pods or pretty flowers. But they all look like this, white or faint paint pedals with pink/purple centers. The more ornate the flower, with lots of bright colored petals, the weaker the opium, this has been shown in studies even.