• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Haloperidol and Opioid Tolerance (specifically Heroin and Fentanyl)

cm0247

Greenlighter
okay, so, I tried searching around for answers about this, but the only answers I've received or found, have been in scientific journaling online of pharmacologic and experimental therapeutics, and other highly sophisticated papers and research jargon found online. now, being as smart and devoted to understanding and researching into drugs as I am and have always been, I am actually able to interpret most of what these kinds of papers and experiments are getting across, although I of course am no expert and therefore, can't understand the full 100% interpretation that they are trying to get across, even though I know I am pretty close. ANYWAYS... to get to the point of what I am trying to ask and seek a deeper knowledge on and whether this is a good idea or not, and especially if anyone on bluelight might be experienced or have tried this before to know any kind of results, I am interested in knowing more about the interactions and possible fixing of opioid dependency and tolerance (for me specifically, heroin and fentanyl, as I am a regular user and have been for over a decade), by taking small doses of Haloperidol. Right here, I will include the link to a specific scientific pharmacologic experimentation article/journal on Haloperidol and Opiates, for anyone interested and for reference in what I am talking about:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126635/

NOW... After my research into this, it seems to be saying that using small amounts of Haloperidol (1mg orally) can be used to remedy opioid tolerance and dependence, meaning in lamens terms, even if you are a longtime user, that you can get that kind of high and feeling that you originally had (the original opioid analgesic effect/high) before you ever became addicted/tolerant/dependent upon them, with the use of Haloperidol. Has anyone in here ever tried this and knows that this works?? Because, like I said, I am an experienced opioid user/Heroin/Fentanyl addict and I also have 8 2mg Haloperidol pills that I found long ago and have saved, since I first found out about this and have wanted to try it to see if it works, but am also a little concerned about doing it without knowing for sure from someone else who has tried this, since it IS an antipsychotic and is nothing to be trifled with or to be played around with by just randomly experimenting...

So, please, if anyone out there has any experience with this, or knows whether or not this is a legit way to get your tolerance/dependence back down to normal again, please can you reply to this post and let me know what possible experiences you may have had with Haloperidol and opiates, or if you know if this is legitimate and can work, regardless of the opioid used and/or the regular daily/hourly dosages you may be applying to yourself for an extended/prolonged period of time...??? I really want to know if this legitimately works or not, because I really want to try it and see, but before I do, I want to get confirmation on my research first. Thanks in advance, and I REALLY hope someone can help me out with some answers on this... Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks again, and I'll be patiently awaiting a reply....

- cm

Last edited:
Trying to increase the mileage of opioids is not a new quest, nor a real long term solution imo. I would continue to research it though as it's not something to jump into lightly, esp if considering something like the heavy AP Haldol. While I don't have personal experience with it I know it's used in conjunction with drugs like COGENTIN (benztropine mesylate) for suicide attempts and severe agitation. The Cogentin is mainly for controlling the harsh side effects of Haldol. From someone who has been on it, Haldol was very unpleasant and considered to be a punishment in some treatment facilities.

I would consider things like Memantine to be a far better option and ULD possibly better than that, but again neither are without drawbacks or are viable long term solutions. If anything you will probably be putting yourself at high risk by slashing tolerance when things like Fentoin are involved. Overall though I think you will find that most of these only prevent tolerance vs actual reversal. Proglumide being the possible exception.

Is-it-possible-to-reverse-opioid-tolerance

Ultra-low-dose opioid antagonists enhance opioid analgesia while reducing tolerance, dependence and addictive properties

-NMDA-antagonists-for-tolerance-a-collection-of-the-evidence-and-anecdotal-reports

NMDA NR2B specific antagonists, exemplified by ifenprodil, are known to potentiate opiates (Bernardi et al, 1996). The combination of the side-effects associated with the co-administration of NMDA antagonists and opiates (Hoffman et al, Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003) produces significantly more respiratory depression, and possibly more emesis and mental clouding, than either agent given alone.

CCK receptor antagonists such as proglumide have been demonstrated to reverse tolerance to opiates, reducing the dose of opiate required to produce analgesia (Kellstein et al, Pain; 1991 ). Consequently, proglumide has been demonstrated to boost opiate analgesia, meaning that a markedly reduced dose of opioid is required to achieve the same level of analgesia. This has been shown to occur, without any potentiation in respiratory depression (US-A-4576951 ) or any effect on the development of opiate dependence (Paneria et al., Brain Research; 1987).

The pharmacology of proglumide is mixed CCKA (gastrin) and CCKg antagonism, its anti-ulceration action being via the inhibition of the CCKA
receptor. Antagonism at the CCKg receptor has thus far been unexploited and is known to be involved in the development of tolerance to morphine analgesia (Watkins et al, Science; 1984). Proglumide when given by the oral route is known to induce headache as its major side-effect. https://patents.google.com/patent/CA2542837A1/en

That's a really interesting topic, I'll look into it more once I have more time

For now there are two things I want to say:
1. I just skimmed over the paper you linked and I can't find the dosage of 1 mg for humans mentioned, but there's 1 mg/kg for mice. But you have to converse the dosage for mice to humans, to do so check out this link for example https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4804402/
2. While a single small dosage isn't that bad haloperidol is an extremely strong antipsychotic and imo I wouldn't want to fuck with it. I worked in a closed psychiatric unit for some time saw quite a few people under the influence of it.
Two of the biggest risks with strong neuroleptics would be neuroleptic malignant syndrome and something called "Schlundkrampf" in german (can't find the english term for it right now, it's basically a spasm of your tounge and pharynx muscles, which in the worst case can lead to suffocation), both of which can kill you (it's extremely rare but still, there might be an extremely small posibility)

As Jekyl said, memantine and ultra low dose naltrexone seem far better options.

Edit: I think this might be better suited for Neuroscience and pharmacology discussion

in quick response to both of you (Jekyl Anhydride & kleinerkiffer), I know that Haldol isn't a drug to fuck around with, when used in regular doses and for any kind of period of time, but when talking about it's use for what I was referring to, I only meant a one-time dosage to achieve the wanted effect of reversing opioid tolerance/dependency. and if it works, its not like I would keep taking it... I would save the rest for a time when once my tolerance was hiked back up again, due to opioid usage, after an extended period of time, to be able to maybe use it again down the line. but of course, I know due to the problems with Haloperidol, that I shouldn't ever take more than a one-time, small dosage to achieve the discussed effect we've been talking about. and as for the difference between mice and humans, im not sure I would want to fuck with what the paper was getting across, since it stated that 3mg of it, results in the sedation and actual unwanted pharmacological effects of Haldol that I am trying to avoid. bottomline, im just trying to see if I would be okay in taking a one-time small dose of it, to achieve the wanted effect of bringing my opioid tolerance back down again, and not need the dosage of opioids I take now to not be sick, or to actually get decently high from it again. which thus is why I am asking about all of this, searching and hoping to find someone who has actually tried what I am proposing, to see if it actually can work, with using a one-time small dose of it, without doing it again for an extensive long period of time. I am hoping there is someone out there that might frequent this site, that maybe has tried this before, or knows more about this to the extent of giving me a legitimate answer due to experience with the small dosage used in conjunction with opiates, without just guessing about it, or trying to give me other options, since I don't have any of those other options, nor do I think I would even have access or the ability to easily find said other options. I actually have Haldol, so im trying to find someone who has maybe tried this before, or knows anybody that has tried anything like what I am proposing with the one-time usage of Haloperidol. but I absolutely appreciate the info guys, and somewhat agree with you, but I want a more focused response dealing with someone/anyone who has literally already tried to do this in the past, so I can at least get a legitimate answer about the results of the possible after-effects and if it worked, and if there was any bad side effects of using the small one-time dosage of Haldol, and what they might've possibly been. I know there has to be someone out there that has actually done this... even by mistake possibly. but most importantly, im trying to get across that I wouldn't be using it more than once in a long extended period of time, due to not wanting to get any kind of bad side effects that using a normal and/or regular/repeated dosage of Haloperidol at all. again, thanks, and hopefully, if I wait long enough, someone will find these posts that has experience with what I am talking about and referring to, and will get the kind of answer that I am looking for.... and again, thanks guys for at least replying back to me about this incredibly interesting and intriguing topic. Hopefully one day, pharmacological trials and doctors will be able to figure out what truly works and not, and be able to achieve the eradication of opiate tolerance and dependency, and I truly hope they can get the funding needed to delve further in this area, so the troubles with long-term opioid usage can be handled and manipulated, and maybe the key to at least solving the tolerance issue...

honestly, the best things i have found (extensive research) are, in order of effectiveness: ibogaine, ULDN/LDN (naltrexone regimes), proglumide, NMDA agents. There are other things that potentiate (black seed, alcohol, benzos etc) - the problem with all of it is - none of it works, sustainably.. the ULDN and ibogaine do the most to actually repair your mu systems - but that's completely dependent on you not fucking them up again. As someone who has gone through it a bunch - there is no magic bullet, IMO, that will stop your brain from seeking homeostasis after up/downregulating a receptor system, and with serious abuse - there's only so far any of these agents can go to mitigate this. (for ref, i have done low dose ibo, ULDN concurrent w pain treatment trying to get what you are trying to get). I have just had to realize if i want effective pain control, I can only have it once a month max or I will not have it at all. :( sorry to report [eh, not sorry, the emotional blunting is not worth it - or being full of shit, literally]