• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Guitar help!!

^i was trained the same way, classically on a nylon string guitar, much easier on the fingers, plus to this day i still love the sound when playing scale warmups really fast....melodic minor is a fav.
Once you learn chords and get some basics tryy and learn some music theory, you will learn the hows and whys of scales and chord building. Take it even further and you can learn the 7 diff modes. Its almost endless. Gotta love the geetar....plus chicks dig it lol

One more thing, keep your nails, least on your fretting hand clipped super short. Not so much it hurts or anything but that can alter the way ur fingers law down. And if u wanted u can grow out ur picking hand nails and finger pick all day long.

^Yeah, I think for most people it's easier to learn chords first and then scales....Also, having a decent guitar makes a difference....Nylon strings are more forgiving on fat fingers, but they're generally harder to keep in tune....You should always be in tune, it's very important, especially when playing with others...Buy a tuner, if you don't have one and learn how to tune by ear...

A nice steel string acoustic should be fine to start, a nylon string will make it easier initially, but in the long run won't build finger-strength like a steel string...That, of course, is just my opinion and I could see why someone would suggest starting with a nylon string...

Of course, the style you play makes a huge difference....I play alt-rock/punk style stuff but I write a lot on acoustic...You can be lazier if you just play straight electric with distortion/effects etc, but it's good to learn the foundation of what you're doing, which is what acoustic forces you to do! IMO...

A lot of people never learn scales, and depending on what you're doing, you don't necessarily need to learn them...Once you do learn them and they become second-nature to you and that can be very helpful when you're just writing/improving/ or jamming with other people, trying to write songs....

I like chord and scale charts. and basically, all that is is diagrams that show you exactly where to put your fingers to play a certain chord or scale....

I don't really like tab so much....If I wanna learn somebody elses songs, I'll just look at what the chords are, listen to the song, and figure out how to play it by ear...

Don't be too obsessed with details, feeling and sound are more important! There's a million different ways to do things! That's the beauty of it!

But to get by this early stage, you have tyo train your fingers and go through a little pain, but it's worth it because playing the guitar is fun as fuck!

Yea you can get an electric pile on the effects and not hear any flawed notes, learning on an accoustic is the way to go.

I cant seem to not touch the other strings when trying to play ,well learn chords anyway im far from playing anything,maybe my hand isn't meant to play, i cancel out the other strings ,and don't have anybody to really ask about it guess I need to find a technique maybe that fits me,or maybe some general DO's and DONTS??

are all the frets used eventually,

I have acoustic

Learning to play on an electric with very low action is much easier than trying to start from scratch on acoustic...<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanna learn you'll figure it out, and you hit these points where it starts to feel good to you and it keeps you goin with it....People will tell you a lot of different things, but a little knowledge can go a long way if you practice.....Don't try to do too much too fast, just get used to using those fingerx and it will come....:)

finger shapes, hand shapes and muscle memory and calluses. go from an G to an Em to a C a hundred times and you probly wont be muting any string anymore

as a beginner i really found it helpful to learn all the modes of the major/minor scale on the guitar (this will take a while). The patterns and how they connect. Once you learn that you can improvise all you want. Then once you want to step it up you can learn the modes of harmonic minor and melodic minor easier, as they are just one or two notes different than the major/minor scale. It's great for practice just to run through the modes and once you start analyzing tabs you'll see how chords and scales work together and learn harmony.

as well, learning the circle of fifths will be useful in writing songs or just playing nice sounding things when you start out. For example, play C, then G then D, they are all a fifth apart, the pattern goes on and on. I'd also recommend picking up rocksmith (the game), it's great to actually jump in and learn some songs and you'll figure out the riffs and how they work with the chords.