• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

growing our beautiful acaia (accuminata); anyone else got some babies?

pisspotnrock

Bluelighter
this may be better suited for Aus. social so mods, feel free to move it if need be

I have recently adopted half a dozen seedlings which although are only ~10"s high, are really starting to take off since I transplanted em into larger pots with coca-peat..

I just love the trees, the structure of them, the foliage and most of all, the blooming wattle... I dont have much experience with them but the clued on bloke at my local bunnings told me everything I need to know about cultivating them ( ;) )

from what I gather, they are a very hardy and forgiving tree and can put up with some pretty extreme conditions but take yonks to mature (~8 years minimum from cutting if one were to harvest)

I was just wondering if there are any BLers on here also cultivated said acacia or something similar? I have a couple of questions but ill ask them if I get replys...

I plan on growing them in 50-100L bags n just take em with me where ever I got over the next decade... might plant a couple in the suburb I grew up in and just leave it n hope it outlives me

surely someone on here is into acacia's?

Potted (or bagged?) plants don't grow anywhere near plants in the ground.
Are you trying to grow a shrub or a tree

Does harvesting them hurt the tree in any major way and is it an annual harvest?

They where thinking of banning these and mescaline cacti a few years back in Victoria. I'm glad they are still available.

Good luck moving anything that's in 50+ litres of soil. Pain in the ass! I'd personally put them in ground after they out grow their current pots.

^ yeah I reckon you'd be better off doing a "guerilla grow" with at least some of these.
Also, you're a young feller - and I reckon you'll be surprised how fast the time will pass for some of these to be viable for...doing stuff with!
Good on you for growing them from seedlings; the responsible way :)
If you spread them around a bit (plant a couple in a few different locations - family or mates' places, or random parks or bits of land unlikely to be developed (its not like growing pot or something anyone is likely to want to steal or remove) they'll mature before you know it - and then you'll have more bark than you'll know what to do with :)
I haven't grown acacias, but have watched a sapling become a pretty sizeable tree in a house across the road from me over the past year or two. Some of the wattles seem to grow pretty fast in optimum growing environments.

woah sorry about my spelling mistakes/grammer (not just in this thread but on all my posts so I've found :p).. I only come on here when Im flying on the gear so my hands cant keep up with my mind when Im posting haha

Potted (or bagged?) plants don't grow anywhere near plants in the ground.
Are you trying to grow a shrub or a tree

lolwut?! I grow veges/cannabis in pots next to plants in the ground every summer and they all thrive? just gotta give em a bit of space.. could you please explain more?

It's a tree by the way, google it for an exact ID.. they are tall and skinny, pretty much a slim trunk extending to a confined canopy at the top.. one might consider it a light tree when comparing it to other wattles

Does harvesting them hurt the tree in any major way and is it an annual harvest?

They where thinking of banning these and mescaline cacti a few years back in Victoria. I'm glad they are still available.

I would assume it does and if you ring bark any area on the trunk, you've essentially killed it... you can get away with taking vertical strips off different trees without killing it but I reckon just waiting until you are satisfied with its size and just harvesting the one tree there n then is the way to go... as long as you keep the bark (after drying) in a cool, dry place, itll keep for as long as you need..

I think the cacti are already banned over here, SJ might be able to elaborate on that...

Good luck moving anything that's in 50+ litres of soil. Pain in the ass! I'd personally put them in ground after they out grow their current pots.

yes it would but would only need to be done once or twice in my situation.. in the grounds a no-go as I will more than likley move house on more than one occasion during their lifetime so I need them to be ready for transport.. nothing two fit blokes wouldnt be able to do

^ yeah I reckon you'd be better off doing a "guerilla grow" with at least some of these.
Also, you're a young feller - and I reckon you'll be surprised how fast the time will pass for some of these to be viable for...doing stuff with!
Good on you for growing them from seedlings; the responsible way :)
If you spread them around a bit (plant a couple in a few different locations - family or mates' places, or random parks or bits of land unlikely to be developed (its not like growing pot or something anyone is likely to want to steal or remove) they'll mature before you know it - and then you'll have more bark than you'll know what to do with :)
I haven't grown acacias, but have watched a sapling become a pretty sizeable tree in a house across the road from me over the past year or two. Some of the wattles seem to grow pretty fast in optimum growing environments.

yeah atleast two will be planted out of sight in my home suburb, probably in a low lying area with a moist ground-soil although Im sure they'll do fine anywhere else as they are as tough as nails..

haha yeah Im sure they will be mature before I know it, seems like I only get them yesterday n they are already twice the height they were when purchased - thats with nothing but coco-peat n rainwater to aid them... I might only harvest one if not any, as I am growing these more so as a hobbie rather than certain intentions ;) (have always had a strong interest in horticulture, specifically psychoactive tree's and plants - the latter being purely out of interest rather than self supply)

would be good to hear from any other wattle growers if there are any around.. the only tip I cant give which is a very important one to know so you cause minimal impact on said tree(s) is that if you are going to harvest - make you you do DURING BLOOM otherwise you can kiss your yields good bye.. unfortunately, a certain someone had to learn this the (very) hard way after going through alot of trouble

lolwut?! I grow veges/cannabis in pots next to plants in the ground every summer and they all thrive? just gotta give em a bit of space.. could you please explain more?

It's a tree by the way, google it for an exact ID.. they are tall and skinny, pretty much a slim trunk extending to a confined canopy at the top.. one might consider it a light tree when comparing it to other wattles

When I said "don't grow anywhere near (the size of) plants in the ground" I meant what's in parentheses not that you can't have pot plants next to plants in the ground.
I googled it and it wouldn't grow anywhere near it's potential size if it's roots are confined to a pot (or bag????)