• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

great books we need to read

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fictional novels by richard goodkind. the series is called the sword of truth and the first entitled wizard's first rule. i just finished the 6th and am waiting eagerly till i have enough xtra money to get the 7th.
good books

I have to agree with Baron, The Fountainhead is definitely a good read. It makes you think differently about what you do in your life and how you perceive people. I like Rand's philosophy.

Also, the book Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice is my favorite right now. It's very indepth as far as character development goes. The movie does absolutely NO justice to the book.

Wally Lamb - "Shes come undone"

For being written by a man, he sure is right on the mark about some things.

Its the only book that has ever made me laugh out loud and cry.

Last year I was determined to dig myself deeper in the funk I was already in...so for 2 months all I did was listen to Radiohead and read these books, by the end of it I was just thankful I wasn't anyone in them and things turned out better :):

• The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  • Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
  • The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis
  • Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk
  • Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney
  • Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

All are must-reads, but Survivor just hit me really hard...I do second The Celestine Prophecy and The Alchemist...definitely life-changing!

On the lighter side, you ladies may want to check out the Confessions of a Shopaholic series, fairly short reads but they made my day!

I don't think anyone mentioned this - but

Island - Aldous Huxely

Very interesteding especially after reading brave new world.

Bladder2

ooh yeah these also-

the joy luck club, by amy tan

snow falling on cedars, david guterson

the 'his dark materials' trilogy by philip pullman... look into theories of god and life inderectly, with an AWESOME story.

i'm sure many of these have been mentioned, but...

huxely - brave new world ****the best ever :) i had to add this even though everyone else did, i cannot stress how much i love this book.
kerouac - on the road, book of dreams, lonesome traveler
vonnegut - anything! i liked slaughterhouse 5 and god bless you, dr. kevorkian the best
burroughs - naked lunch

and, about brave new world - there's a pretty good explanation about soma @ http://www.huxley.net :)

^^^me too!!
the first time i read it, i had to read it for english class, ninth grade, so i didnt appreciate it as much.. of course, that was only a year ago, but having a deadline and an assignment totally changes the perspectives...:D

Isolde, great taste in reading materal! I love Mists of Avalon, one of my favourite books, and also the hitchikers guide series is extremely good. Two more books I think should be mentioned are

Give a Boy A Gun I think it's by Todd Strasser. It's about these two school shooters, but it's told from their friends, family and classmates, through excerpts. it's really good.

AND

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. A classic tale of revenge, and how it can suck you in, until it's all you think about.

Oh, yes, almost forgot

The Outsiders and pretty much anything else by SE hinton. Very insightful. I find the young adult books to be more insightful than the horrible attempts at fiction I've seen recently. Then again, i read a bit too much for my own good (I spend 4 hours weekly in the local bookstore, at any point in time, i have at least one canvas bag full of books that I took out from the library) and am highly critical. But those are the most insightful books I've read that haven't been mentioned yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.