• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Got Shingles, Will get meds?

id_kid

Bluelighter
So I was diagnosed with shingles by calling the doctor tonight, and he said that I should go in tomorrow. Ok Done. When I go in, he said that if it was shingles (which can be quite painful), he will give me some antibiotics and something for pain.

Now this raises the question, because I am a bluelighter after all...

Will I get some sort of opiate pain med or did he just mean he will say "go buy some tylenol."

What do you guys think? Has anyone had any experiences?

P.S. Shingles are usually brought on in older people, however, I suspect that some previous MDMA use may have caused lowered immune system which might be the reason that I got shingles even though im younger than 25.

You will probably be experiencing quite a bit of pain. I'm sure you will get some opiate type pain meds (which you will need) and I believe they usually use either neurontin or lyrica now, as well.

He prescribed this drug Prednisone, which is a steroid. Tere are horrible side effects, and I think I am going to get this changed asap, however, I was wondering if it would be ok to drink alcohol with it. The drug gives me fierce headaches that prevent sleep, and I was wondering if I will mortally damage my liver by doing this.

Note that I have searched google, and have found a bunch of people on Yahoo Answers that are afraid of their own shadow and say that it puts more strain on the liver and that its not good for you. I'm not worried about the strain, I just don't want to bleed out of my gut or die in my sleep. Does anyone know if this is ok?

id_kid said:
He prescribed this drug Prednisone, which is a steroid. Tere are horrible side effects, and I think I am going to get this changed asap, however, I was wondering if it would be ok to drink alcohol with it. The drug gives me fierce headaches that prevent sleep, and I was wondering if I will mortally damage my liver by doing this.

Note that I have searched google, and have found a bunch of people on Yahoo Answers that are afraid of their own shadow and say that it puts more strain on the liver and that its not good for you. I'm not worried about the strain, I just don't want to bleed out of my gut or die in my sleep. Does anyone know if this is ok?

i wouldn't suggest drinking while using prednisone. i also wouldn't suggest drinking because you can't get to sleep while you have shingles.

face it, your immune system is already lowered and you have shingles. drinking alcohol is going to put even more strain on your immune system. just take the prescribed medications only, and if they aren't working for you, contact your doctor. the prednisone is going to help with the pain and swelling. yes, prednisone sucks, but many people have taken it and lived. hell, even my dog was on a month long course of it, and she survived.

i got shingles when i was 17, but it wasnt at all painful .i was prescribed Tramadol and something else. he said it was very rare for someone so young to get it, but not unheard of. idk

i know people with shingles. got scripted with vicodin. all depends on the doctor and the severity of your condition really.

Usually the first course of meds is an antiviral (acyclovir (Zovirax), valacyclovir (Valtrex), or famciclovir (Famvir)) not prednisone.
We also prescribe Vicoden is for pain which you should NOT be drinking alcohol with.

I assume it is not facial involvement. If so (and your nose is affected), you need to see an ophthalmologist. The cornea may be involved. Without treatment, vision is gravely affected.

i got shingles when i was 17, but it wasnt at all painful .i was prescribed Tramadol and something else. he said it was very rare for someone so young to get it, but not unheard of. idk

I got shingles at the age of 8, the doctor didnt tell me it was rare and didnt give me meds either. dick lol

I had shingles at age 22. I was started on Valtrex immediately (I forget the doses but they were enormous) and prednisone. I also got Vicodin and then when I called and said it was making me itch more, I was given Percoset.

Antibiotics will do nothing against shingles.

You should not drink while your body is trying to fight off shingles. If not diagnosed early, shingles can lead to permanent, chronic nerve pain called PHN (post-herpetic neuralgia). You do NOT want this -- trust me. My case was relatively mild but it was still hell for several days. I do get some shooting pains from it now.

That was when my doctor admonished me to get my stress level under control IMMEDIATELY.

Take care of yourself by staying hydrated - no alcohol or drugs other than your scripts - and be honest about your level of pain. You have the right to effective control of your pain, and shingles is very painful!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Shingles sucks!