View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

good time for liberty caps???

lukecooper

Greenlighter
been a mild rainy day in the UK and it is getting dark now. the last few days have been dry and today it was raining for a couple of hours. i was wondering if tonight i was to take a torch and go hunting would i find a few liberty caps? looked through a lot of threads but couldn't find the answer. also could someone tell me the best times and conditions for liberty caps (temperature, rain etc) this is my first post on bluelight so any help is appreciated :D

Hey mate.

Had some rain where I am too. I will try my luck today ;)

From what I've been told and what I've read online. Best temperature is between 10 and 15 through the day, bit less in the night, the liberty cap loves rain. So from now and a few days/nights of rain we "should" start finding them.

I've tried looking a few times in the past few days and found nothing. Had a bit of rain the past couple of days, its pissing it down now so I really hope I have a fruitful days picking.

When I was younger I helped my friend pick his mushies and we always went at sun rise because he said they come up in the morning and go back down at night. Its not true though you can go picking any time.

I've never tried magic mushrooms I can not wait to find some.

Last night was first frost in the area I am in Scotland. I'll hunt at the end of the day looking for last survivors.
Best of luck to southern neighbours.

Hunting was ok, all very small but ok. It seems frost kills the developed ones but don't stop new ones from coming when temperature gets ok again. A very experienced friend just told me that the frost has to last 4 or 5 hours to really affect the mycelium.
The IDing got tricky though. Some where extremely white as they never are and even the interior part was really light. I found one extremely brown and dry but the shape was perfect. If it wasn't a really known spot where only semilanceatas appear I would have thought they were not. And even like that I left some behind for their weirdness.
I already got what needed but I might go again just for curiosity.

The IDing got tricky though. Some where extremely white as they never are and even the interior part was really light. I found one extremely brown and dry but the shape was perfect. If it wasn't a really known spot where only semilanceatas appear I would have thought they were not. And even like that I left some behind for their weirdness.

Be careful to stay away from the ones with the black nipples...very dangerous.
I saw a documentary about them, a girl ate one and it wasn't a pretty sight.
The doc was called "Shrooms" and they, too, were in Scotland...so watch out pal. ;)

I'm from Scotland and in 40+ years of picking have never seen black-nippled mushrooms in the places where semilanceata grow (well-cultivated fields, green pastures and grassy moorland (in fact I don't think I've ever seen one anywhere, and I do keep my eyes to the ground out of habit ;)) . You've spiked my curiosity phuckingnutz - I'm sure in the interests of harm-reduction it would be OK to ID (by way of a photo) the nasty type. Has anyone else seen the documentary phuckingnutz is referring to and can post a pic?

Hehe "Shrooms" is a horror movie from 2008...

There are a lot of mushroom hunting threads on liberty caps open, as IDing is not really allowed mushroom hunting is mostly isolated and discussed in this thread:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=521921

There is also this centralized thread on liberty caps, so all you guys might as well gather round there and just not ID mushrooms - it would have to be limited to just sharing experiences with hunting them etc. For more in-depth hands-on stuff it would still have to be The Shroomery I'm afraid. There are just a LOT of liberty caps threads right now which is not necessary.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/609691-Mushrooms-Subthread-P-Semilanceata-Liberty-Caps

Last edited:
There is a strain I often see near liberty caps that look very like them, same colour with a similar nipple but if you look underneath it it has very open gills where a real lib kind of turns up the way so you don't actually see the gills.

So Solipsis, were you just being humorous when you referred to the "Shrooms" documentary as a "horror film from 2008" - or was it really a horror film from 2008 and the infamous "black-nippled" mushrooms just a fiction.

We need to know - Scotland's future depends on it! =D

No it really is horror, just google 'shrooms 2008 black nippled' my friend - or next time and just check this now ;p

You mean it ISN'T a documentary!? I am sooo mortified. Besides they probably aren't that dangerous anyway. Hell, I had a girlfriend with black nipples and I used to eat her all the time and never had a problem. Well, except for the genital warts.

Be careful to stay away from the ones with the black nipples...very dangerous.
I saw a documentary about them, a girl ate one and it wasn't a pretty sight.
The doc was called "Shrooms" and they, too, were in Scotland...so watch out pal. ;)

I'm from Scotland and in 40+ years of picking have never seen black-nippled mushrooms in the places where semilanceata grow (well-cultivated fields, green pastures and grassy moorland (in fact I don't think I've ever seen one anywhere, and I do keep my eyes to the ground out of habit ;)) . You've spiked my curiosity phuckingnutz - I'm sure in the interests of harm-reduction it would be OK to ID (by way of a photo) the nasty type. Has anyone else seen the documentary phuckingnutz is referring to and can post a pic?

I agree with EntheoDjinn and I know my spots quite well and never seen black nipples either. Anyway phuckingnutz got my curiosity so I tried to find something that even not being black nipples could resemble them in a way. Major candidate might be Panaeolus fimicola (which wikipedia says contains small quantities of psilociyn). Not nipples in any way but the darkness on top might mislead.
Other species that I think are in my area and could be confused with semilanceata by not seasoned pickers, might be Protostropharia Semiglobata, and Panaelous semiovatus. Note that I say I think, as the divergency in looks of different photos from same species is great. IDing mushrooms is very tricky so don't quote me on that.

Be careful to stay away from the ones with the black nipples...very dangerous.......... a girl ate one and it wasn't a pretty sight........ and they...........were in Scotland...

Ah - you led us up here in Caledonia a merry dance phuckingnutz.

Oh, and whatever you do, if you find yourself in the Irish wilderness and come across a mushroom with a black nipple on the top, do NOT eat it.
(from the film crit - thanks Solipsis for the link :))

Ireland, Scotland, I'm a Yank, WTF do I know? Not Mcmuch! ;) Glad you guys have a sense of humor though.