• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Going in for diagnoses of adhd

OnCloud9

Bluelighter
Hey everyone,

In several days I'm going to see a psychiatrist to get a proper diagnoses. That institution gave me a bunch of paper work to fill out the the lady I spoke with said based on that paper work I'm likely to get a positive diagnoses for add/adhd. She recommended that my dad come along with me ( but I'm over 18 ). She said that the doctor can speed up the process of helping me if hes there with me. I was just wondering why is this since I'm over 18 and why would my dad have to come along with me? it just makes me feel uncomfortable incase the doctor asks me personal questions, which I think he will.

Also this place did not require a referral from my family doctor, should that raise a red flag or not?

Thanks

Last edited:
Your dad probably needs to be there so the doctor can talk with someone who has heard all the medical mumbo jumbo before instead of having to explain every detail to you.

Did this lady you speak with know how old you are? Maybe she thought you were younger than you are.

She probably recommended your father come with you for a reason, I don't see any "red flags" here - but then again every situation is different and every doctor/clinic is different.

Your dad should go imo. That way the doc has a perspective that is not yours. Your dad can give the doc insight to your behavior as your description is going to be different. Plus being that your young more than likely your going to be at a higher risk for being stereotyped. As in drug seeking. Just sayin. Is your dad on board wirh you being medicated? If not I might not take him. Like my mother, she is against all meds so I never took her to my shrink when I was younger. Hope this helps man goodluck

The lady knew I was over 18.

My dad is for medication if it will help me with my disorder(s). She did say though that what ever is more comfortable for you, and he didn't have to come, although she recommended it.

Take him then. It will let your doc be able to give a more concrete diagnosis. That way your doc will not stereotype against you. (That would prolly happen from my experience) let us know how it goes

Take him then. It will let your doc be able to give a more concrete diagnosis. That way your doc will not stereotype against you. (That would prolly happen from my experience) let us know how it goes

Ok thanks I will likely bring him along then.

They do know about a drinking accident I had years back, hopefully that doesn't interfere with me getting proper treatment.

You know what's funny? At least in NYS, HIPPA rules have changed and he wouldn't be allowed to be in the room with you for privacy purposes. My mom doesn't come with me when I go to my hearing appointments anymore. She wouldn't be able to come into the testing room with me anyway.

Does anyone know the specifics on HIPPA rules and regulations? This does seem pretty fishy to me, OP.

^ The OP's in Ontario (I'm assuming Canada and not California), so I don't think they have HIPPA--Though I'm sure they have something similar. That is something the OP should look into.

I assumed they told her to bring her father along to make her more at ease and, as another has pointed out, provide another source for information on the OP's medical need for medication.

If it speeds up my diagnoses/ treatment then I feel bringing my dad along is a good thing, then even if it does violate private information, because time is of the essence in my current situation.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

Tried posting this a couple hours ago but lost it. Now just did an auto restore hopefully it's not in like a halfway un-edited state before I had a chance to go back and change a bunch of stuff to make it make sense...

Just out of curiosity, why is time of the essence?
Why are you in such a hurry to be diagnosed with a chemical imbalance?
I'm not saying this to try to sound like I'm making fun, I have ADHD, I was diagnosed about 20 years ago.
TBH I see no real advantage for an adult to be diagnosed with this "condition". It's not like you're in high school, you don't have teachers on your back and whatnot. What's the big to-do? So you have a hard time paying attention, you may be a little hyperactive at times. As a kid, it helps but being that you're over 18 why do you even really care? It doesn't really impact my life at all at this point, I've been this way my whole life it's nothing I haven't been able to learn how to deal with/ cope with/ work around by now. I don't even think about it/ notice it at all anymore. I have been diagnosed with many things as a child and now that I'm an adult I almost wish I was never diagnosed with any of it, not that it impacts me anymore but why attach stigmas to you that you don't need? I have a cousin that I used to get mad at when we were younger because he has ADHD too and he used to refer to it as a "disability". Really? Idk, maybe I'm just better at dealing with it than others, but it's my brain and I live in the same society as everyone else and I've learned how to adapt and live with it to function like everyone else. If you're looking for meds just think, that's only a temporary band-aid, it doesn't actually fix anything. You're gonna be taking these chemicals indefinitely to fake-ly help when you're on them (I know, I preach about hating them but I buy/ receive meds illegally to be used to help with certain situations when it become necessary on rare occasions, I literally use them maybe 3-5 times a month on a bad month). If you really have that much trouble, why don't you look into strategies that help you naturally? I just think it's strange that you've gone your WHOLE life without this diagnosis and now you're in a big rush to get to get diagnosed. Just wondering why "time is of the essence in this situation"?

You know what's funny? At least in NYS, HIPPA rules have changed and he wouldn't be allowed to be in the room with you for privacy purposes...
Does anyone know the specifics on HIPPA rules and regulations? This does seem pretty fishy to me, OP.

HIPPA is federally regulated so the law would be the same wherever in the US. But when I go to the Drs my dad always comes in with me, Im way over 18. If you say its ok for your parents to be in the room, the Dr always makes sure its ok..at least he should...then you're all set. The form says you can waive your right to privacy.. and Im sure that includes allowing your parents into the room with you.

I'm not sure how it goes in Canada, but it might be the same. Since the Doc told the OP they recommend he/she brings their father, but that it was ultimately his/her decision, it shouldn't be a violation of HIPPA, because they will be consenting to allowing his/her father in the room. But then again, I'm not sure about Canada..

Same with the referral question, I don't know how the medical system works there so I can't really help with why you don't need a referral. Sorry. But good luck!

HIPPA is federally regulated so the law would be the same wherever in the US. But when I go to the Drs my dad always comes in with me, Im way over 18. If you say its ok for your parents to be in the room, the Dr always makes sure its ok..at least he should...then you're all set. The form says you can waive your right to privacy.. and Im sure that includes allowing your parents into the room with you.

I'm not sure how it goes in Canada, but it might be the same. Since the Doc told the OP they recommend he/she brings their father, but that it was ultimately his/her decision, it shouldn't be a violation of HIPPA, because they will be consenting to allowing his/her father in the room. But then again, I'm not sure about Canada..

Same with the referral question, I don't know how the medical system works there so I can't really help with why you don't need a referral. Sorry. But good luck!

It depends on if there is the potential for surgery or not. When there is surgery, it's an absolute no, unless the patient is under 18 and in need of assistance. Though that has nothing to do with ADHD.

Pst, OP. I say get your diet in check before you go, also. More people are medicated when most of the time, a proper diet may have been all they needed.

It depends on if there is the potential for surgery or not. When there is surgery, it's an absolute no, unless the patient is under 18 and in need of assistance. Though that has nothing to do with ADHD.

I don't mean to argue with you or anything, I'm just confused now. Do you have a citation for this? Or could you clarify? Because IME, I was able to have my dad in the room while my doc and I were talking about my upcoming liver transplant. I fact, my Dr called a family meeting, my dad, brother and I to discuss moving across the country to wait for a liver there (which we inevitably did) but he even held the meeting WITHOUT me! He, my dad and brother went into a room and talked about everything from my labs/tests, to chance of survival/quality of life and chance of recovery.. I was able to give permission for my Doc to talk to them without me, didn't have to sign anything. It wasn't a violation if HIPPA for my doc to talk to them without me, so Im just curious as to what you mean? Again, I am by no means trying to argue!

I got back from the docs and was diagnosed with add. He scripted me Dexedrine IR 5mg once a day and slowly increase as needed.

Hope it works for me!

I don't mean to argue with you or anything, I'm just confused now. Do you have a citation for this? Or could you clarify? Because IME, I was able to have my dad in the room while my doc and I were talking about my upcoming liver transplant. I fact, my Dr called a family meeting, my dad, brother and I to discuss moving across the country to wait for a liver there (which we inevitably did) but he even held the meeting WITHOUT me! He, my dad and brother went into a room and talked about everything from my labs/tests, to chance of survival/quality of life and chance of recovery.. I was able to give permission for my Doc to talk to them without me, didn't have to sign anything. It wasn't a violation if HIPPA for my doc to talk to them without me, so Im just curious as to what you mean? Again, I am by no means trying to argue!

It's a very recent change to HIPPA. Hey, for all I know (and honestly, don't give a damn about), it could only apply to the specific dentist office I went to in Western New York and only applies to getting teeth removed in a counter-clockwise manner.

The last time I went, there was no sign. This time I went (six months later), there was a sign.

I got back from the docs and was diagnosed with add. He scripted me Dexedrine IR 5mg once a day and slowly increase as needed.

Hope it works for me!

good luck man, i am not an add/adhd person im a high stung anxiety person so i dont know much about the meds they put you on or the dosage but youll be able to find out on here. again good luck!

It's a very recent change to HIPPA. Hey, for all I know (and honestly, don't give a damn about), it could only apply to the specific dentist office I went to in Western New York and only applies to getting teeth removed in a counter-clockwise manner.

The last time I went, there was no sign. This time I went (six months later), there was a sign.

Ohh hrrm.. I still don't know really cause my dad still comes in appointments with me and my Dr has no problems with it. Last week I went to see him again and it was the first time my dad didn't come with, and my Dr asked where he was, lol, kinda funny. Maybe it was a dentistry thing, like if you're having surgery for wisdom teeth or something that requires sedation, they would require a parent to come to make sure you get home safely. I was just curious if you knew why.