• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Going cold turkey off opiates- need support

Peanut2771

Greenlighter
Hello all... I am completely new here. I have always used bluelight as an informational source but have never posted until now. I didn't think I would need encouragement/support until now. I have been on opiates on and off for the past 2.5 years. I had a small break of like a week where I tapered down a few months ago and got off of it, but then I had an ovarian cyst hemorrhage and endometriosis, two surgeries, all within three months. So for the past three months I have been on opiates again, with only about a week of being clean prior. This included Norco, about 90 mg/day. My doctor gave me a taper down plan, which I of course abused (stupid I know) so now I need to just go cold turkey and be done with it. Honestly, I am scared to death. I know what withdrawal feels like, but I've never done it cold turkey so I am fearing the worst. I can't stand the feeling of withdrawal, of course, no one can. I thought I would post on here to hopefully find people to talk to through this process. For some reason, it helps if I am vocal and voice what I am feeling. I am just afraid I won't be able to take the symptoms. I have loperamide but it never helped my symptoms when i tapered before so I am not sure if it will help now, klonopin (I'm prescribed), and smoke. I'm really embarrassed asking for support here but I would really appreciate it if I could get a small support team to be here for me through this. Any advice specifically to how in the world you take your mind off of the symptoms would be great. Do you read? Play games? I can't even barely get off the couch when I am withdrawing through a taper plan. I have today and Monday off of work, I took vacation to get this done so I have to do it. Thank you for your help.

Hello all... I am completely new here. I have always used bluelight as an informational source but have never posted until now. I didn't think I would need encouragement/support until now. I have been on opiates on and off for the past 2.5 years. I had a small break of like a week where I tapered down a few months ago and got off of it, but then I had an ovarian cyst hemorrhage and endometriosis, two surgeries, all within three months. So for the past three months I have been on opiates again, with only about a week of being clean prior. This included Norco, about 90 mg/day. My doctor gave me a taper down plan, which I of course abused (stupid I know) so now I need to just go cold turkey and be done with it. Honestly, I am scared to death. I know what withdrawal feels like, but I've never done it cold turkey so I am fearing the worst. I can't stand the feeling of withdrawal, of course, no one can. I thought I would post on here to hopefully find people to talk to through this process. For some reason, it helps if I am vocal and voice what I am feeling. I am just afraid I won't be able to take the symptoms. I have loperamide but it never helped my symptoms when i tapered before so I am not sure if it will help now, klonopin (I'm prescribed), and smoke. I'm really embarrassed asking for support here but I would really appreciate it if I could get a small support team to be here for me through this. Any advice specifically to how in the world you take your mind off of the symptoms would be great. Do you read? Play games? I can't even barely get off the couch when I am withdrawing through a taper plan. I have today and Monday off of work, I took vacation to get this done so I have to do it. Thank you for your help.

If you are unable to have control to taper with opiates and must go cold turkey, I would suggest you delete any dealers number and any friends who use or could provide you with the drug from your phone. This is the first and key step.

If you fear failure, consider a rehab clinic and 1 week stay to get sober.

If you wish to just do cold turkey, grab some water, benadryl, sleep aid (zzquil) and maybe even some benzo's if you think you can control the taper. Benzo's will really assist, but if you believe there is a risk for a new habit.

Stay positive.

Why cold turkey? Get some comfort meds. I suggest clonidine, robaxin, and a small benzoyl script. This wI'll enhance your chances of making it through withdrawal

Doing cold turkey because I am unable to have control over a taper. How do you keep yourself busy to pass the time? Seems like the days go so slow

Thank you. I have deleted numbers already. I am unable to go to an inpatient facility because I work full time. I took two days vacation (that's all I have left for the year) so I would have a four day weekend to do this. I have to do it and get it all done in one move. It's just so hard not to be afraid. Have you gone through this before? If so, how do you keep yourself busy in order to keep your mind off of the grueling symptoms?

Thank you. I have deleted numbers already. I am unable to go to an inpatient facility because I work full time. I took two days vacation (that's all I have left for the year) so I would have a four day weekend to do this. I have to do it and get it all done in one move. It's just so hard not to be afraid. Have you gone through this before? If so, how do you keep yourself busy in order to keep your mind off of the grueling symptoms?

It's weird because when we go through our first truly painful withdrawal​ we tend to fear it to the end of the earth furthering our use and prolonging the pain. Tapering is ok but truthfully it's just going to suck either way might as well get it over with. It will only suck for a little while. It will get better very soon.
So many things can help. I would smoke strong indica at night and sativa during the day. Do not stay in bed, take showers at least once a day. When you wake up get completely dressed even your shoes! give yourself a chore and increase the amounts of chores each day as you get better. Give yourself peaceful things to do the first few days to stay occupied. It takes your mind off momentarily and exercises your body. It feels much better to rest at night if you are truly physically​ tired. An empty fatigue is uncomfortable. I real yawn in much more welcome in these matters. I went hiking on my fourth day and it was a rather long hike. I slept a whole 6 hours which was record at the time was only getting 3-4
Immodium like a motha focka. Get you some.
Gabapentin works amazing if you don't have a tolerance to it and if only taken a short period without any withdrawal in itself. Once I started taking only one during the day and two at night I felt I cheated withdrawal, instead of downing a ton of gabapentin and trying to stay in a constant which didn't work and became unbearable quickly. It made me energetic on a low dose and sleepy on double dose.
If your Dr can get you gabapentin it's my best advice. I used it for two weeks, helps with work. Makes you talkative.
Otherwise with Klonopin and weed immodium. You should be ok honey

It's weird because when we go through our first truly painful withdrawal​ we tend to fear it to the end of the earth furthering our use and prolonging the pain. Tapering is ok but truthfully it's just going to suck either way might as well get it over with. It will only suck for a little while. It will get better very soon.
So many things can help. I would smoke strong indica at night and sativa during the day. Do not stay in bed, take showers at least once a day. When you wake up get completely dressed even your shoes! give yourself a chore and increase the amounts of chores each day as you get better. Give yourself peaceful things to do the first few days to stay occupied. It takes your mind off momentarily and exercises your body. It feels much better to rest at night if you are truly physically​ tired. An empty fatigue is uncomfortable. I real yawn in much more welcome in these matters. I went hiking on my fourth day and it was a rather long hike. I slept a whole 6 hours which was record at the time was only getting 3-4
Immodium like a motha focka. Get you some.
Gabapentin works amazing if you don't have a tolerance to it and if only taken a short period without any withdrawal in itself. Once I started taking only one during the day and two at night I felt I cheated withdrawal, instead of downing a ton of gabapentin and trying to stay in a constant which didn't work and became unbearable quickly. It made me energetic on a low dose and sleepy on double dose.
If your Dr can get you gabapentin it's my best advice. I used it for two weeks, helps with work. Makes you talkative.
Otherwise with Klonopin and weed immodium. You should be ok honey

First, thank you for your response. I actually am allergic to gabapentin unfortunately. Did you take Imodium for just intestinal purposes or did it actually help with the withdrawal symptoms? I commend anyone that is able to get up and do things to keep busy. I have fibromyalgia which flares during WD and makes my whole body hurt excruciatingly bad. I also run a fever and just feel like I have the flu. How do you manage to do stuff with the horrible physical symptoms? Oh and the mental fog too... I can't hardly start a thought process. Basically all I'm doing is worrying myself to death. I have until Tuesday to get better, physically.. that's when I go back to work from vacation. Oh and I have two kids as well, single mom... Thank you for your help

I just need to be able to tell myself mentally that I can do it...but I can't seem to find that power in me

Try and be patient with yourself. It is there, although you might need to go through some layers of your proverbial onion to get there.