• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting sober, and the affect of drugs on the lifespan.

ectoace

Greenlighter
Hi there -- I'm 20 years old now and from the time I was 15 until now I've done basically every drug you can name at least once. I currently drink habitually and sometimes while I'm drunk I will cave in and end up buying and doing blow or mdma. I've begun to have intense anxiety over my current and past drug use and the state of my health as I get older. I used to do cocaine semi - frequently from the ages of 18-19 although I was never an every day user, it definitely was an almost every weekend thing for a few months. I stopped this because I became worried about pain in my chest when I would use. That pain has since stopped. I still use it from time to time although it has slowed down. Same goes for mdma, except I've been using that since 16. I have now decided I will never use mdma or cocaine ever again for they are no longer fun and the detrimental effects are making themselves more clear.

My question is if I cut out drugs and begin living a healthier life style is it too late for me to become healthy and live a long (ish) life? I am pretty upset with myself and worry that I have done irreversible damage to my heart and brain in my adolescence.

Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom about the mid and long term effects of drug use on overall life and health over the years?

I've seen people in advanced states of degeneration recover from being seemingly beyond the pale. I'm also one of those people. You're nothing like that, but I'm just saying, the body has remarkable recuperative powers when it is given the right thing at the right time. That doesn't mean we should abuse it or take it for granted. What I mean is that it can take some punishment then come back if there's discipline and a will to do whatever it takes to lead a better life.

I recently read that the herb astragalus lengthens telomeres in humans, something that was thought impossible before now. The tools we need are all around us. We can use them to neglect and abuse our bodies or we can use them to progress. The choice is ours.